The Great Metzler VS Avon Debate - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
habu
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The Great Metzler VS Avon Debate

Anybody wanting to know the difference in Metz VS Avon tires here are some side by side pictures. Metz is a 200/50-18 and Avon is 200/55-18. The Avon is about 1 inch taller than the Metz. Looks to be about 3/4 inch narrower than the Metz. Avon tread is more rounded compared to the Metz which is flatter. Metz contact patch is also wider.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Metz vs Avon 1.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	164584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Metz vs Avon 2.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	164585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Metz vs Avon 3.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	164586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Metz vs Avon 4.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	164587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Metz vs Avon 5.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	164588  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Metz vs Avon 6.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	164589  
habu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Great post.... Thanks for taking the time
VrodG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Malcomx
Registered Full

I would never have thought there would have been that much difference in how they look. Thanks for the pictures.
Malcomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The brand of tire should be chosen for the style of riding.People that live and ride in areas like Lux does should use the Avon tires.People that don't have as many sharp twistys as I do can use the Metz.Ask Lux and he will tell you the Avon feels better to him.
Of those that have used both,you should be able to notice a difference.The 880 Metz will handle wet roads a little better,They are specifically made for heavy cruisin bikes.You should also notice that when the Metz gets real hot that they loose cornering grip and straight up stability.With the Avon,you should notice the opposite.
There's a big reason one is more narrow and has a different tread design.
Tires should be chosen from the style of riding the bike will see,not for the width or look of the tread.
ElrodontheV-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElrodontheV-Rod View Post
The brand of tire should be chosen for the style of riding.People that live and ride in areas like Lux does should use the Avon tires.People that don't have as many sharp twistys as I do can use the Metz.Ask Lux and he will tell you the Avon feels better to him.
Of those that have used both,you should be able to notice a difference.The 880 Metz will handle wet roads a little better,They are specifically made for heavy cruisin bikes.You should also notice that when the Metz gets real hot that they loose cornering grip and straight up stability.With the Avon,you should notice the opposite.
There's a big reason one is more narrow and has a different tread design.
Tires should be chosen from the style of riding the bike will see,not for the width or look of the tread.

AL is Spot on here, I get a better ride out of the Avons, Nothing wrong with Metz but Avons have done me better as far as handling and Wear especially in the Canyons.
Great shots of the 2 side by side, I knew they where different heights but didnt realize they where that much different.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
ragingBULL
Kiss the Ring

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I got the best grip on hot pavement from the stock dunlops, they are excellent tires on hot pavement. Metz are much better all around tires but certainly not performance tires... They are below average in good conditons I would say.

Haven't tried the avons, think they offer similar performance to the stock dunlops.

RIDE IT LIKE YOU RENTED IT
V-Rod Impostor - Sold 05/2011
BMW K1200RS 2002
ragingBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
pfbmgd
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Was there a thread comparing the 240 sizes .I tried a search and couldn`t find it .I need to order tires this week .I`m down to two Avons or Perelli .If figure with either I can`t go wrong .My local deal doesn`t seem to have Continentals .I have heard people having good results with them .
Topless
Avon tires
pfbmgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Stone42
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks for posting these pics, I didn't know there was that much difference. I'll need new tires this year and you guys just sold me on the Avons.
Stone42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
HoneyB
Pat (Patrick!)

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbmgd View Post
I need to order tires this week .I`m down to two Avons or Perelli .
Someone recently posted about Pierelli's wearing out after 7500 miles. ("ShurShot", maybe?)
not a lot of miles, IMHO. I do realize that there are trade offs, for desired applications.
Tiger Racing belt guards, Pondo's pivot bolt covers & 'V' valve stem caps, Tyson's black riser and foot levers, Metzler ME 880's, black 5 spoke '08D wheels and rear pulley, Mini LED rear signals, Progressive suspension, Jeannie Guardian Bell!(so far!)

1978 Honda XL350 (w/4300 miles on it!)

Jedi:"It's free to be a member, but it'll cost your ass in the end..."
HoneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
Hugh_Jass
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyB View Post
Someone recently posted about Pierelli's wearing out after 7500 miles. ("ShurShot", maybe?)
not a lot of miles, IMHO. I do realize that there are trade offs, for desired applications.
I believe he stated that he rode them VERY aggressively though, as always, YMMV.
Hugh_Jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:35 AM   #11
cycorod
Banned

i ran metz for years, i have the cobras, they handle & wear better than the metz...so far. and to HONEYB... HAPPY BELATED B-DAY PAT
cycorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #12
SickRick
Lifetime Premium

I'm watching this one closely.

Metz seems more of a sport touring tire, where the Avon seems more of a sport tire.

Currently running Night Dragons. Love the handling, nearly through a rear at 5K miles. really want a SPORT tire, not a CRUISER tire - in consideration of my power levels, suspension and aggressive (extremely spirited) riding style.

There's only a very limited selection of MATCHING front/rears for these bikes - and of course we're pigeon-holed into the sport/cruiser category, thus ignored in the sport/superbike category.

I may order a set of Avons to check them out. My experiences with the Metz on previous bikes has been very good, but V Rod is a whole different animal - especially in WEIGHT (load class), being almost 200lbs heavier than most sport bikes.

Rick

Rolling: Penske 8983NR/TD AK-20 Dual-Lyndall Rotors/Red+-Brembo P4/34 Calipers-BST CF's-Ceramic Brngs-Conti RA's- Microline Hydraulics

Looks: Polished SS Bolts-Rizoma Rearset/Pegs-Trucklite/LEDMirrors-LED Tail-BlueLED Gages-PVD Black Fork Tubes-Woodcraft Clip-Ons-NMC Windshield(s)-Cluster Relo- Valentine-1 - Blinder 905c
SickRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #13
VrodPete
Elephant Motors Rock

Geez, I think tire threads are getting about as crazy as oil threads.

HD SE II Cams, 3/8" Falicon Crank, Carillo Rods, CP Pistons, DA Fitz Engine Brace, Destroyer Injectors, Doherty oil pan, DA Fitz Head Port/Polish/+1mm Valves+springs, DA Fitz 58mm TBs, ARP studs, V&H 2nd Gear+Shift Shaft, Motohouligan Airbox, Wegner 2->1 Exhaust with Supertrapp V5

152.77 HP, 101.06 TQ

Other Toys: '01 BMW K1200LT, '76 Honda CB550F, '81 Mooney M20J

VrodPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
ragingBULL
Kiss the Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
I'm watching this one closely.

Metz seems more of a sport touring tire, where the Avon seems more of a sport tire.

Currently running Night Dragons. Love the handling, nearly through a rear at 5K miles. really want a SPORT tire, not a CRUISER tire - in consideration of my power levels, suspension and aggressive (extremely spirited) riding style.

There's only a very limited selection of MATCHING front/rears for these bikes - and of course we're pigeon-holed into the sport/cruiser category, thus ignored in the sport/superbike category.

I may order a set of Avons to check them out. My experiences with the Metz on previous bikes has been very good, but V Rod is a whole different animal - especially in WEIGHT (load class), being almost 200lbs heavier than most sport bikes.

Rick
Everybody laughs at me when I say this.. Foryunately i don't give a rats ass!!

You want performance tires for the V? Go back to the stock 180 DUNLOPS... They melt like butter on hot tarmack but they really stick good!! With those, you can eat those twisties wot.

BMW K1200RS 2002
Old 04-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
ragingBULL
Kiss the Ring

Don't really expect more than 4-5k miles out of them if you are agressive though, mine were done at 3500 miles

BMW K1200RS 2002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement