06 VRSCR Rear Tire Recommendations - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCR
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
fjmiller
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 VRSCR Rear Tire Recommendations

Hello All,
I am in need of a new rear tire for my 06 VRSCR. just hit 8500 miles and the back tire is looking a bit worn :-) I spend a bit of time on the highway going back and forth to work and weekend driving on the windy backroads of northern VA. I am looking to be price conscious and have a local mechanic to mount and balance so the best deal on a good tire I can find :-)
fjmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
BigBillyStyler
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmiller View Post
Hello All,
I am in need of a new rear tire for my 06 VRSCR. just hit 8500 miles and the back tire is looking a bit worn :-) I spend a bit of time on the highway going back and forth to work and weekend driving on the windy backroads of northern VA. I am looking to be price conscious and have a local mechanic to mount and balance so the best deal on a good tire I can find :-)
I've heard really good things about the Metzeler....but I still have the crappy stock Dunlop...so I wouldn't know...
BigBillyStyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
Nor'easter
Live Free Or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmiller View Post
Hello All,
I just had a set of Pirelli Night Dragons (stock sizes) put on and they are night to day better than the stock Dunlops.
Nor'easter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I have the Nite Dragons as well. I'll be at the strip in 2 weeks and can give you a definative answer then. Dunlops are WAY hard.
swampboogiedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
wi.st.rod
Greg

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I run a 200 Metzeler. Great tire. When I replace it, it will be with another one!
2006 VRSCR JE Illusions Paint, Renegade Wheels/Rotors/Pulley, Metzelers (200R), Corbin Seat, Supertrapp Fatshots 2:2, PCIII, K&N Filter, WP Shocks, Drag Bars, Flame Grips, Joker Machine Mirrors, Mini Sissy Bar, LED Taillight, Pondo Cover/Caps, Handydan Screens, Chrome: Master Cylinders, Clam Shell, Belt Guards, Bullet Turn Signals, Vented Side Covers, Switch Housings, Coolant Hose Cover, Headlamp Housing/Visor, Rear Pegs/Brackets, Reg. Cover, Slotted Footpegs

2009 HD FLTR Black
wi.st.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
dviry
gRRR

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I also run a 200 Metzler - much better than the Dunlops yet sometimes I have the feeling they don't perform as good in wet conditions, they tend to be a bit more "slippery"...

The Avons would also be another possible choice... Never had them.
200 rear, PCIII, 4 red Competition Footpegs, Front Mirror Signals, Custom Tacho Faceplate, Headlight Visor, Amsoil Air Filter, Topless, X-Screen, Slipper Clutch, 26T pulley, Kuryakyn chromed spider hand grips, chromed slotted HD levers, Works Progressive Chromed Street Tracks, Heavy Duty front fork oil, gel padded seat, radiator grills, Custom Dynamics red accent lights, chromed horn cover
Cortech Sports bags (x3), Axio Tailbag, Tankbag
dviry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
VRSCR-Dave
Registered Full

200 Metzler, much better than stock
VRSCR-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
pwrman
Registered Idiot

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I have the Avons, stock size front, 200 rear, so far so good. (2 months)

Check JakeWilson.com I got a great deal and FAST shipping $50 rebate from Avon

I read good things about the Metzlers and Night Dragons...
pwrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Bret
Lifetime Premium

I am running the 180 Avon Venom on the rear and I really like it.
Bret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
bigedz
Chad

After 15k on dunlops, I just switched to Avon Cobras. I can't believe tires could make that much of dif. but they are awesome! It's not apples to apples (DX with 250 rear to R) but I think most anything other than Dunlops would be an improvement. rockymountainatvmc.com $346.00 for the set to my door.

CARETAKER OF A 77 LOWRIDER - R.I.P. ROD
bigedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
rawdog
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The stock Dunlops were crap. Free tires for life was a dealer incentive when I bought my bike. I have switched to Pirellie Night Dragons then Metlzers. The Dunlops felt dead to me. I could not feel the road nor could I tell how much they were sticking.

The night dragons are great tires. My only issue with them is that I got maybe 5k miles from them before the front was worn. The rear picked up debris and I had a flat. Other than low tread life they are great, great tires for performance.

I put a set of Metzlers on front and back at stock sizes and road them cross country for 3600 miles and they are awesome. Maybe not quite the stickiness of the night dragons but great tires. I hope this helps. Bottom line is drop a little more dough for something other than the stock Dunlops and you will be very happy.
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:57 AM   #12
iBike
Registered Full

Stock-size Avon Cobras.

You can mismatch brands on a V-Rod if you're not a canyon scraper.

I replaced the Avon front when it needed it, but kept the Metz rear and the bike improved both because the tire was new, and, I think, better (the Metz still had more than minimum tread). Now it's all Avon.
iBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:28 AM   #13
Xoygeha
Where's Max?

I've tried the Dunlops, Metzlers, and Avon's....
The Metzlers got the best mileage.
The Avon's are the best grip in all conditions, Mileage was still better than the Dunlops.
Bridgstone makes a tire for our bike, I have not tried it.
I was not even aware that Pirelli even made tires for our bikes, I'll look into those...
"WTF" 2006 Kawasaki ZX14R: Muzzy M-10 4:1 megaphone, K&N, PC-V

In memory of those Loved and Lost...
Rest in Peace

Melissa Dardar: June 14, 1968 - August 29, 2010
Taken from this world too soon, You will be missed dearly!
Xoygeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
jsopiela
Registered Full

Tires come in different compound types; soft (racing) and hard (touring) and somewhere in between. The soft compounds stick better to the road giving you better handling but they wear out within a few thousand miles. The harder compounds are not as sticky but you can get over 10K miles on them depending on your riding conditions. Unless you are dragging your pegs into corners on weekends, save your money and stick with the harder compounds. They'll last twice as long and you'll never feel any difference in handling
jsopiela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
Philthy
Registered Full

At the Long Beach bike show in December 2005, the platform manager for the Street Rod was at the Harley display and I had the opportunity to talk to him. Truly, he is the man who sold me on the bike. During our discussion, tires came up and he told me they had the best results in testing with the Avon Venom R. He told me the bike handles 14% better with the Avons than with the Dunlops (how they quantified "handling" was not fully explained) and that he wanted the bikes to come with Venom R's from the factory, but could not because of a contract Harley has with Dunlop. You can base you choice of tire from that.
As for a 200 rear, I guess that might be ok if all of your roads are straight. For me, with mountain ranges full of second and third gear twisties, I prefer a narrow rear tire to make turn in light and neutral. I can discern the handling change from a three pound difference in rear tire pressure, and I find the R's steering is very sensitive to rear tire size, inflation and condition, more so than other bike's I have owned. Personally, I could care less how wide the rear tire looks. I want the tire that makes the bike handle best on curvy mountain roads.
Advertisement