Avon - Metzler...My Finding...My 2 Cents.. Whatever you like to call it... - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Avon - Metzler...My Finding...My 2 Cents.. Whatever you like to call it...

LAst year I switched to Avon Cobras from 5 years of Metz tires. Reason? Well Avons Used to be $50+ More Per tire in the past. For some reason Metz $ have gone up and Avons have gone Down in the last 24 months so I did it.
Well I last time I changed tires I used a Honda shop and asked them to put the used aside so I could compare, I never expected to have such a difference.
1) Avons Ride Better, They chew up and Stick to the canyon roads like no other tire I have had, The rear 200 is Higher than Stock and seems to Roll into corners better than both Metz and Dunlops.
2) In the rain (yes I do that occasionally) the Avons win again. While riding around last month with a Visiting Forum Member a rain Storm hit while we where in the canyons and 30 miles of freeway from home. Well the Avons once agn Out performed any other tire I have used on this bike. (Avons, Dunlops, Metz)
3) Most surprising is the Wear pattern. I figured (and heard from others) that Avons are Stickier but wear out quickly. NOT TRUE!!!
I have complained in the past that Metz seem to Wear Out over night. You will be riding along fine one day than 2 days later your tire looks and feels like it is 10 years old!, The rear tires develop a Flat Spot that goes all the way around the tire and makes riding problematic.

Here is the Pict of the 2 tires side by side. The Metz (Off the Bike) has about 11k on it, the Avon (on the Bike) was put on last July and has 10.5k on it right now.
Notice the Metz one side is completely gone, no tread left what so ever while the other side appears to have a Bit of Life remaning.
The Avon on the Other hand looks brand new to me still. I cannot see having to change this tire anytime soon at all from the looks of the tread and MOST IMPORTANT the EVEN WEAR PATTERN!!! I ride the same as always. 35% FReeway, 10% street and 55% Canyon roads.
I am sold on the Avons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tie.jpg
Views:	2884
Size:	674.6 KB
ID:	152225  
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Luigit
Sleep is over-rated

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
thanks for the review!! I always thought that about the metz especially on the front. this kinda confirms it to me.

(that friggin trash can makes it in again huh?)
Luigit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
mdwhittington
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
thanks for the good review, it is appreciated as i will be in the market for some new rubber very soon!
AMSOIL OIL AND FILTERS
POWER COMMANDER III USB
DDM TUNING HID CONVERSION KIT - 8K
mdwhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
louballs
Smokebomb King

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
thanks for the review. I just switched to metzs for the first time from stocks and its a huge difference obviously, but was curious about avons
Old 06-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
sammy
# 12/50 Ignite LE

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's some good info! And to add to the balancing controversy, how are your wheels balanced? Static balanced with lead weights, Dynamic balanced with lead weights, no balancing, were balanced but weights fell off, DynaBeads? Inquiring minds want to know.

Don't be scared. We haven't lost tradition...... we've gained technology!

2004 VRSCA
Two-tone Smokey Gold with Vivid Black
SE 16G Double Barrel Exhaust
SE Airfilter
97% Pure Harley Davidson
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Bumbobee
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nice review and info, thx.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
jls12
Registered Full

Man that is exactly what my Metz looks like on the front. So did the Dunlop. I have been asking why on this forum. I knew I could not be the only one experiencing this problem. Anyone got ideas except changing tire brand. I think I will turn my front wheel around and run it backwards until it matches the other side. I don't ride in the rain anyway, so what should it hurt?
jls12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

I just happen to have Brand New Avons in the garage now too.
Here you can see the Difference isn't that Great from new to used on these tires. (On Bike and In plastic wrap).

The rear seems to be on track to the same as the Metz too, I go through 2 Rear tires for every front. This one has a little over 2000 miles MORE than any Metz I ever had before at around 9k. I am thinking 3k more out of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08021.jpg
Views:	1334
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	152226   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08022.JPG
Views:	1293
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	152227  
Old 06-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
That's some good info! And to add to the balancing controversy, how are your wheels balanced? Static balanced with lead weights, Dynamic balanced with lead weights, no balancing, were balanced but weights fell off, DynaBeads? Inquiring minds want to know.
This Avon Tire Wasn't Balanced at all by the installer, The Metz in the pict was Balanced by the HD dealer with outer weights that eventually did fall off.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Oriondk
Registered Full

That's just what my front Dunlop looks like; wearing on the left side more than the right.

Dave
Life's too mysterious
Don't take it serious

Well, do you ever get the feeling that the story's
too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage, and it seems like
you're the only person sitting in the audience?

Skating away on the thin ice of the New Day.
Oriondk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
ndtiger
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
impressive comparison.......just put on a new pair of Dunlops. Looks like I will be going with Avons next time

ndtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
Oriondk
Registered Full

Thanks, Lux. I just ordered an Avon Cobra front tire and will be getting the rear tire soon.

Dave
Life's too mysterious
Don't take it serious

Well, do you ever get the feeling that the story's
too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage, and it seems like
you're the only person sitting in the audience?

Skating away on the thin ice of the New Day.
Oriondk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
Shoe
aka shudude

David,
Great pix for comparison. I got 30k on my front, still not down to the wear mark, but now it need to be replaced just due to age. Avons are great and definitely my tires of choice.
btw, I get a new rear Cobra put on tomorrow

2012 BMW K1600GTL Midnight Blue

I hate being BIPOLAR
It's AWESOME!
Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
Beeek
Lover of Bikes

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Well you've sold me...the Metz's were exactly as you described. The main reason I stuck with them though was because I was nervous about the slightly larger (than 200 Metz) 200 Avon rubbing on my saddlebag brackets....but I'm just going to bite the bullet and grind more metal off if needed.
Beeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #15
HoneyB
Pat (Patrick!)

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Great review David. I'll be switching from Metz to Avon next time I need tires. (Soon!)
Tiger Racing belt guards, Pondo's pivot bolt covers & 'V' valve stem caps, Tyson's black riser and foot levers, Metzler ME 880's, black 5 spoke '08D wheels and rear pulley, Mini LED rear signals, Progressive suspension, Jeannie Guardian Bell!(so far!)

1978 Honda XL350 (w/4300 miles on it!)

Jedi:"It's free to be a member, but it'll cost your ass in the end..."
HoneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement