DynaBeads review - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
sammy
# 12/50 Ignite LE

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DynaBeads review

As mentioned in a previous thread, I was going to test dyna beads on my 17k dunlops since many have found that their new tires didn't even need balancing. So tossing in dyna beads into new quality tires was far from an ideal situation to make any judgement on the effects of dyna beads in my opinion.

To start the evaluation I removed the lead weights from my existing Dunlop tires that have 17k miles on them and judged them against the existing 17k old balance job by riding one of my usual routes on the loop around Houston where the speeds vary up to 80 mph. I had total of 1 oz of weight on the left side of the front tire and a total of 2 1/4 oz of weight (1 oz on left and 1 1/4 oz weight on right side of rear tire about 10 degrees apart). Once the lead weights were removed I was suprised to find no substantial difference in the ride quality between no balance weights and with the weights. So I am thinking no big deal, the balance job is 17k miles old so I am only comparing one bad balance job for another (non balanced that is). This could be the only logical conclusion from this part of the evaluation.

So the next step was to install the beads then re-evaluate the ride quality. Only takes about 20 minutes total for the install of the dyna beads. This is a no brainer and you either get them in the tire or you don't. Just don't try to pour them in too fast since they can get clogged in the valve stem if you try to install them at too fast of a rate. I reinflated my tires back to proper pressure and was off for the dyna bead experience. So as I was making my way to the highway, I was anticipating a ride so smooth that it would be like floating on air, you know, just like all the hype you read about.

Well after my 2 hour ride along the same previous route, its unfortunate that the dreams of floating along the highway at 80 mph were just that, dreams. The was really no noticable difference in ride quality between the dyna bead balance, no balance weights, or the 17k mile old balance job. The only thing that I noticed that obviously influenced the ride quality was the pavement. The is a new stretch of pavement on the route and it was extremely smooth on this part in ALL 3 cases. My bike has always exhibited a "faster it goes the smoother it rides" characteristic and it still maintained that in ALL three cases.

So to leave the door open for the dyna beads.......again, the next step will be to evaluate them the same way with my new Avon's when I get them installed in the next couple of weeks. But for now I say dyna beads are no big deal. Maybe motorcycle tires and suspension are such that they really do not need balancing. Or the biggest factor might be the quality of tire used. Don't know. But for the most part, someone putting on a new tire and tossing in some dyna beads and giving all the credit to the dyna beads for the great ride defies logic.

As for the physics that they operate under, this is the best explanation I have read. Click Here. Shaggyhou's explanation was right on with an explanation I found in my extensive research on dyna beads. I found this explanation on a website that discussed wheel balancing in general and it didn't even mention dyna beads.

As always YMMV!

Don't be scared. We haven't lost tradition...... we've gained technology!

2004 VRSCA
Two-tone Smokey Gold with Vivid Black
SE 16G Double Barrel Exhaust
SE Airfilter
97% Pure Harley Davidson
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
As I ordered my new Tires today I saw the Beads for sale and Almost bought them than realized that the Weights usually fall off during the 1st 100 miles of having new rubber put on anyways and the only reason I notice is the adhesive left over on the rim not because the ride changes. I think its more in the Mind than In the Bike, like Wind Wobble.
Magic Beads? Ho Ho Ho.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
AOW
K.I.A. '07 AW

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
As for the physics that they operate under, this is the best explanation I have read. Click Here. Shaggyhou's explanation was right on with an explanation I found in my extensive research on dyna beads. I found this explanation on a website that discussed wheel balancing in general and it didn't even mention dyna beads.

As always YMMV!
fixed the link for ya. With the technology going into motorcycle tires these days, I find it hard to believe much if any balancing is actually needed for everyday riding. Hell, most folks barely get 8k miles out of tires! I say skip all weights and crap until you are faced with an issue. I don't see any issue unless your rims are chewed the fik up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
only reason I notice is the adhesive left over on the rim not because the ride changes. I think its more in the Mind than In the Bike, like Wind Wobble.
Magic Beads? Ho Ho Ho.
wind wobble is real! Anytime I put on the windshield and ride over 80mph in strong headwinds or crosswinds I get it
High/low beam mod
"1130cc classifieds" are your friend
embrace the "google search" function.... site:1130cc.com:
HOW TO pull codes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrivero
Nobody cares about your shit like you
Fuel gauge? We don't need no stinking Fuel gauge!!!
AOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
POWERSTROKEN
Trouble Maker

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As far as the beads go. Its like comparing the very first HD ever made (lead weights) to the V Rod and technology of today's HD (Dyna beads). They all work, they all do their job, some better than others, some open to opinion. The balance issue will remain as much a debate as the "what oil should I use?" issue. To each his own. I have even used an antifreeze/water mixture in my truck tires before with no issues other than a mess at tire changes. Plus if you like the idea of a 1 time balance, (no matter what happens to your tire or how it wears) and the look of the weights stuck to your wheels. Leads the way to go. Jim

2009 VRSCFX NRM
Vivid Black, SEPST, V & H Indy Comp Pipe, K&N, Topless/Open Vents, Progressive front's, Ceramic bearings, Avon's 250, HID's, Hi/Low Mod, Killerglass/Braided hose
POWERSTROKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
if dyna beads worked like they are advertised to work,new cars would be using them.
ElrodontheV-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
lbrown
Registered Full

if i am installing custom wheels that are really nice looking i usally won`t put on weights to detract from the looks of the wheel if it is less that .75 oz out.. i don`t think anybody can tell if a wheel is out of balance if it is that close to perfect..
lbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
POWERSTROKEN
Trouble Maker

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Car tires unlike bike would require alot more of the beads to work. That could be one issue. Another could be the new TPMS (tire pressure monitering systems) I am not sure how it would affect that either. Why isn't everyone doing it? Why arent all Harleys V Rod's?...LOL This can go on all day long. Same as the oil confusion. Jim

2009 VRSCFX NRM
Vivid Black, SEPST, V & H Indy Comp Pipe, K&N, Topless/Open Vents, Progressive front's, Ceramic bearings, Avon's 250, HID's, Hi/Low Mod, Killerglass/Braided hose
POWERSTROKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
oil is not confusing,it's just argued over like beer is.Oil is real easy to figure out.
Just learn what the piece of machinery is made out of ,how it's made and then use the correct formula.
Tire balance beads are a separator item,they separate you from your money.
ElrodontheV-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
Malcomx
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Re-do the test, but this time add a couple oz of weight to the wheel, enough that you can feel it on the highway. Then dump in the dyna beads, if it fixes the problem we have a winner, if it doesn't, we have snake oil in solid form.
Malcomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
gator582
Retired, Not SLOW!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcomx View Post
Re-do the test, but this time add a couple oz of weight to the wheel, enough that you can feel it on the highway. Then dump in the dyna beads, if it fixes the problem we have a winner, if it doesn't, we have snake oil in solid form.
gator582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #11
ATR
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I just got my new Avons mounted by a local shop that has always used Dyna beads. He told me they can't use dyna beads any longer as the tire reps told him they'd void the warranty because they're abrasive. He's always used them and never had a complaint.

He used a static balancer and just shifted the tire on the rim until it was balanced. He said I should have no problems and that's the way they did it for the drag bikes they raced.

I finally mounted them on the bike this weekend and took it up to 90 and then rode about 70mph for 5 miles. No issues.

So has anyone else of the tire reps voiding warranties because of the use of dyna beads?

Also, just because the ride seems smooth and I don't feel any problems, am I causing them to wear improperly?
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
sammy
# 12/50 Ignite LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR View Post
I just got my new Avons mounted by a local shop that has always used Dyna beads. He told me they can't use dyna beads any longer as the tire reps told him they'd void the warranty because they're abrasive. He's always used them and never had a complaint.

He used a static balancer and just shifted the tire on the rim until it was balanced. He said I should have no problems and that's the way they did it for the drag bikes they raced.

I finally mounted them on the bike this weekend and took it up to 90 and then rode about 70mph for 5 miles. No issues.

So has anyone else of the tire reps voiding warranties because of the use of dyna beads?

Also, just because the ride seems smooth and I don't feel any problems, am I causing them to wear improperly?
That issue could still be up in the air and only seen in a loooooong term test. If the wheel is bouncing down the road because of imbalance, but not enough to be noticed or its being sucked up by the suspension, I would suspect the tire to scallop prematurely. But then I would consider 10K miles out of any tire pretty good.

Another thing that I wondered about when researching the dyna beads is, if they are so great, why don't the moto gp guys run them? They scrub down a set of tires in one race, would make sense to have the balanceing mechanism to self adjust during a race. Well come to find out, DynaBeads are not recommended for non DOT race tires. They state that race tires run hotter, thus the inside of the tire is softer, so the beads kind of stick to the inside of the tire and inhibit proper action of the beads so they don't work. What do moto gp guys use? A static balancer to balance with lead weights!

2004 VRSCA
SE Airfilter
97% Pure Harley Davidson
Old 05-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #13
AOW
K.I.A. '07 AW

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElrodontheV-Rod View Post
if dyna beads worked like they are advertised to work,new cars would be using them.
and if cigarettes really caused cancer they would quit making them.
if "flat 6" engines were really superior then all mocos would use them and not just Porsche... I could keep this going forever, but I believe the point has been made.
High/low beam mod
"1130cc classifieds" are your friend
embrace the "google search" function.... site:1130cc.com:
HOW TO pull codes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrivero
Nobody cares about your shit like you
Fuel gauge? We don't need no stinking Fuel gauge!!!
AOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
baldharleydude
Tim

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I had contacted the folks that make the dyna beads, curious about the absence of my truck tire size on their charts that tell you how many beads to use. (I've got a F-150 Harley-edition 2wd with the low profile 20" tires).

I was suprised to learn that they don't recommend them for wide, low profile tires? They said that the wider the tire is (relative to the height), the less effective the beads are.
baldharleydude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #15
sammy
# 12/50 Ignite LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldharleydude View Post
I had contacted the folks that make the dyna beads, curious about the absence of my truck tire size on their charts that tell you how many beads to use. (I've got a F-150 Harley-edition 2wd with the low profile 20" tires).

I was suprised to learn that they don't recommend them for wide, low profile tires? They said that the wider the tire is (relative to the height), the less effective the beads are.
Interesting, I also noticed that they do not list any typical "car" applications on their website, only vintage car tire sizes, tall and skinny. l

2004 VRSCA
SE Airfilter
97% Pure Harley Davidson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement