Side mount license plate option. - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 02-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
4stroker
I'd rather be riding

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Side mount license plate option.

What do you think of this plate holder? It seems like the same production as some models that are 2-3 times more expensive. http://www.demonscycle.com/Lights-an...70320-2-1.html
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
killerVRod
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I think I have seen it on ebay even cheaper. Like $80...
Custom Lapis Blue V-Rod (Rick's 240 Lector wheel setup,chrome swingarm,Rizoma bars,signal relocators,LED rear lights,V-mod pipes,Custom cut sidemount plate,11.5" SmoothRide shocks,spike grips,Custom cut mirrors, 3" tribal forward controls)
http://www.alteredstatedesign.net
killerVRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
4stroker
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerVRod View Post
I think I have seen it on ebay even cheaper. Like $80...
Nice billet aluminum? I've only seen the cheapos but I've seen some posted on here for almost $500 that look like the same thing. I don't want to drop that much on a side plate but don't want a piece of crap either.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
killerVRod
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stroker View Post
Nice billet aluminum? I've only seen the cheapos but I've seen some posted on here for almost $500 that look like the same thing. I don't want to drop that much on a side plate but don't want a piece of crap either.
Sorry I didn't realize it was billet! That is a good price!

-Keith
Custom Lapis Blue V-Rod (Rick's 240 Lector wheel setup,chrome swingarm,Rizoma bars,signal relocators,LED rear lights,V-mod pipes,Custom cut sidemount plate,11.5" SmoothRide shocks,spike grips,Custom cut mirrors, 3" tribal forward controls)
Old 02-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Jethro_3
In the Shark Tank!!!

Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Check out GRCustoms, I think for theprice and quality the sidemount vertical turned out nice on my bike.
Jethro_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
jsims002
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have the Anodized black one, it's quality. Not sure why the black one cost more. I should have got the chrome one and painted it. I dig it though. You'll need to get a longer axle or grind about 1/4" off the mounting bracket where the axle bolt goes through so you can get the axle nut on to be able to put the safety clip back on.

Best quote EVER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan60 View Post
Probably one of those deals that you ask 10 guys and get 10 different answers. I'm keeping what I have. I like the look, I like the sound. I don't think you would ever notice the difference on the street. Maybe on the dyno, but I don't ride there.
jsims002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
4stroker
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsims002 View Post
I have the Anodized black one, it's quality. Not sure why the black one cost more. I should have got the chrome one and painted it. I dig it though. You'll need to get a longer axle or grind about 1/4" off the mounting bracket where the axle bolt goes through so you can get the axle nut on to be able to put the safety clip back on.
How about mounting on the lower shock bolt?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
killerVRod
Registered Full

I think that if you want it to look perfect it has to go on the axle since it is a radius mount and the center of the radius is at the mount hole. Otherwise the radius of the plate won't match the radius of the pulley. It would be a half an inch higher...

-Keith
Old 02-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
4stroker
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerVRod View Post
I think that if you want it to look perfect it has to go on the axle since it is a radius mount and the center of the radius is at the mount hole. Otherwise the radius of the plate won't match the radius of the pulley. It would be a half an inch higher...

-Keith
That makes sense. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
jsims002
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yep, no go on the shock mount, tried it. I didn't fit and it looked stupid there.

Grinding it down was pretty simple though. A grinding wheel or table saw with a grinding blade does the trick. I put the bracket against the swingarm and traced the swingarm with a sharpie.

I also cut out the axle cover so it forms around the plate mount bracket.

Best quote EVER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan60 View Post
Probably one of those deals that you ask 10 guys and get 10 different answers. I'm keeping what I have. I like the look, I like the sound. I don't think you would ever notice the difference on the street. Maybe on the dyno, but I don't ride there.
jsims002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
POWERSTROKEN
Trouble Maker

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is what I did to mine as I didn't want to drop $300 on the only one I found for mine. http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132947 I am not sure if this is something youd like? Or if you frames even the same as mine? I had to drill NO HOLES. Thanks Jim

2009 VRSCFX NRM
Vivid Black, SEPST, V & H Indy Comp Pipe, K&N, Topless/Open Vents, Progressive front's, Ceramic bearings, Avon's 250, HID's, Hi/Low Mod, Killerglass/Braided hose
POWERSTROKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #12
akousticplyr
'03 VRSCA

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stroker View Post
What do you think of this plate holder? It seems like the same production as some models that are 2-3 times more expensive. http://www.demonscycle.com/Lights-an...70320-2-1.html
Hey bud-

I just finished putting this one on the bike about 15 min ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SIDE-...16236007r23451

What's good: seems pretty good quality in chrome and has a Radiantzs logo stamped into the metal on the backside, so that says something good for it. Easy to install on the lower shock mount bolt (provided you can get the damn bolt off, I'll tell you that story later).

What's bad: it came in a US postal box without any mounting hardware. I emailed sales@lmcycles.com and so far N O T H I N G.

I went to ACE hardware to get some stainless screws and bolts...so far so good and pretty easy. You can see it when we get together for a ride.
akousticplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
4stroker
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsims002 View Post
Yep, no go on the shock mount, tried it. I didn't fit and it looked stupid there.

Grinding it down was pretty simple though. A grinding wheel or table saw with a grinding blade does the trick. I put the bracket against the swingarm and traced the swingarm with a sharpie.

I also cut out the axle cover so it forms around the plate mount bracket.

How did you run your wires? I think I see part of your wire below but did you run it along backside of swingarm or what?
Old 02-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
Demthios
To boost or not??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
So question for all of you guys that have your plate mounted on your shock, the only ones that I'm seeing on ebay are like 3/4" and 1" diamater holes made for swingarms what would the correct size be for the shock bolt??
Demthios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
DEW
I DON,T KNOW WHY

made my own think it looks good for a home made jobI( in my pics)
THUNDERHEADER
K&N AIR FILTER
ARNOTT AIR SHOCKS
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement