Spark Plug Gap - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Technical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Wild Bill
Loud and Proud

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spark Plug Gap

Originally when installed the NGK DCPR8E plugs I ran them a the NGK recommended plug gap of .040. The bike ran like shit from around 2800 to 3500 RPM @ 2% to 10% throttle position. There would be an intermittent miss fire or stumble. I tried to adjust the fuel mixture in that range and tried looking for any vacuum leaks etc. Nothing worked.

What I did is pulled the plugs back out and tried re-gaping them to .034 and let me tell you the bike runs great! I used to gap at the HD recommendation of .035 running the HD plugs. There is big improvement on the throttle response, power and no more miss fire.

From all the research I have done is that a smaller gap is works better in high compression motors. The Higher The Compression = A smaller gap. Some believe that larger gaps burn more fuel. Maybe you can compensate for running a wider gap if you have an high power ignition system that can produce more than 60,000 volts.

2003 Classic Silver & Black, Modified CFR Pipe, CFR Seat, Smooth Rides, South Beach Wheels, Hog Pro 240 Kit, Headwinds Head Lamp, 28 Tooth, Topless, with the Power Commander, and Stock Gas Tank.
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Johnny HotFoot
TRANNY KILLER :)

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
Originally when installed the NGK DCPR8E plugs I ran them a the NGK recommended plug gap of .040.

What I did is pulled the plugs back out and tried re-gaping them to .034 and let me tell you the bike runs great! I used to gap at the HD recommendation of .035 running the HD plugs.
I'm confused, if you use any plug that claims to fit a vrod, wouldn't you gap them the same as what you pulled out?
'04B W/ Fitzgerald Motorsports rebuilt 1130 : Cams, Breathless Performance Euro Tail, Clear L.E.D. Integrated tailight, NRS Headlight/Nacelle, Rineharts 2-2, PC3usb, DX wheels/Budget240, 26T Pulley, Superbraced, Boss Noss 50HP shot, Gel padded seat, Sirius Satellite Radio, Raptor Shift Light, V-Mod 2" Rise Drag Bars, PM Renthal Grips, Pingell Electric Shifter, "NOS" Etched Killer Glass w/Blue L.E.D. and Blue Engine Ice Coolant, blacked-out everything and of course; Capped by Pondo
Johnny HotFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Wild Bill
Loud and Proud

You would think. I was under the impression that NGK is a lower resistance plug than the HD plugs, and this is why they call for a .040 gap instead of the HD .035 gap. My understanding is that the Anti-Knock circuit is affected by the plug resistance.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_fi...d=848&type=reg

2003 Classic Silver & Black, Modified CFR Pipe, CFR Seat, Smooth Rides, South Beach Wheels, Hog Pro 240 Kit, Headwinds Head Lamp, 28 Tooth, Topless, with the Power Commander, and Stock Gas Tank.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Johnny HotFoot
TRANNY KILLER :)

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I dunno, I do know I spent extra money for the platinum plus plugs and my bike ran slightly shittier than with stock plugs.... went back to stockers after that
'04B W/ Fitzgerald Motorsports rebuilt 1130 : Cams, Breathless Performance Euro Tail, Clear L.E.D. Integrated tailight, NRS Headlight/Nacelle, Rineharts 2-2, PC3usb, DX wheels/Budget240, 26T Pulley, Superbraced, Boss Noss 50HP shot, Gel padded seat, Sirius Satellite Radio, Raptor Shift Light, V-Mod 2" Rise Drag Bars, PM Renthal Grips, Pingell Electric Shifter, "NOS" Etched Killer Glass w/Blue L.E.D. and Blue Engine Ice Coolant, blacked-out everything and of course; Capped by Pondo
Johnny HotFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
Wild Bill
Loud and Proud

After all the trail and error I have found that NGK plugs run better in my bike with a tighter gap. I have 30,000 miles on it now and I think it is running better than ever now. However I did not have the miss-fire before when I ran the Stock HD Champion Plugs.

Maybe next time I might try setting the gap at .033.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
JUMPINSTEVIEG
beer me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gaps

When you buy the HD plugs are they supposed to be gaped to the right spec?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
gator582
Retired, Not SLOW!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUMPINSTEVIEG View Post
When you buy the HD plugs are they supposed to be gaped to the right spec?
For what bike? NEVER trust that any plug is gapped properly!
(Edit: This is an exception that probes the rule, "never say never.")
Old 04-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
stever975
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
...I was under the impression that NGK is a lower resistance plug than the HD plugs, and this is why they call for a .040 gap instead of the HD .035 gap. My understanding is that the Anti-Knock circuit is affected by the plug resistance. ...
The ion sense circuit biases the gap with about 80 VDC and reads the current flow across the gap after each spark event to check for knock. Spark gap is critical for both the spark voltage and the measured ion sense bias current. The spark plug resistance has very little effect on the required gap and the gap shouldn't be messed with if you want your engine to run right. The only thing that might require changing the gap would be if the compression ratio is changed or a turbo is added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator582 View Post
For what bike? NEVER trust that any plug is gapped properly!
(Edit: This is an exception that probes the rule, "never say never.")
I agree. Plug gap for a normally aspirated VRSC engine should be set to 0.035" (0.89 mm) and every plug should be checked before installing.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
rsc
Killer Service Inc.

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
My turbo is alot less gap then posted.

I run mine at .020

2012 Ultra Classic

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion!
You're merely over-educated beyond your ability to think!

Malcomx" It turns out that the truth is pretty good protection."

V-rod mechanics 101:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rscrod

The opinions expressed here are solely those of the original author. These opinions do not represent those of KSI-LLC.com / Killer Service and Innovations, LLC
rsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
Mikeee
Registered Full

The H-D plugs, as mentioned are nothing more than re-labeled Champions. They are not pre-gapped. Most the time when I've been at my favorite H-D shop, the parts guy will gap the plugs for the customer before he sells them. Unless that's being done in front of you, always gap them yourself with a quality (wire-type) gapping tool. The "ramped disc" type that you see at the auto parts stores near the cash register are horrifically inaccurate. I've checked a few of them with a micrometer, and the readings at a certain indicated gap have varied +/- 0.005".
Mikeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
matt2007
Registered Full

Plug gap will always incease over time.
matt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
R0me0

Excellent, thanks guys!
R0me0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
NGK makes plugs to fit a lot of bikes not just the v-rod. The .40 gap could be for "most" bikes that it will fit. My old Goldwing used .40 gap using ngk plugs.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement