Mid mount foot pegs - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Baggers
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
sc2whls4me
Cruzin the Dark Side

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mid mount foot pegs

This topic has been discussed before in terms of aftermarket pieces but I don't think a Harley parts solution has been mentioned before. My DX bagger has forward controls and while I have adapted to that riding position, on LONG rides I need an alternate position - even if just for a few minutes to take the pressure off my arse. Every hour I found I had to get off the bike for a minute or two and bend stretch my legs. I also found the forward control position uncomfortable on rough roads, being unable to take up the shock in my legs as a mid control position would permit. In addition there have been questions before on alternate peg positions for passengers, again, always dwelling on aftermarket solutions.

After comparing the differences between a 2007 Nightrod vs my DX, I've figured out that identical mid mounted control mounting positions exist on the wide tire bikes (AW and DX) as the narrow tire models. Using stock Harley bracketry and mounting hardware. I now have mid mounted pegs on my DX. This permits me to change to a standard position and remain comfortable - even esp on rough roads. For 2-up riding, the mid peg provides a relaxed foot position for the passenger - tho if they are short (say less than 5'7" ) it might be out of reach. I took a friend for a ride who was 5'9" and he found it to be really comfortable. The only piece I had to scavenge was a 2 inch 3/4 in dia steel spacer for the right side. Got it from Lowes for less than $2 and painted it black. Still have to blacken the left side shaft.

I don't have the part numbers, but the parts manual at the local stealership lists all the parts. Get all the brackets and bolts listed for the VRSCD. Total came out to about $125, less the pegs themselves which I had saved after changing out the front pegs for longer Harley units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1357.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	580.2 KB
ID:	145131   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1358.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	501.9 KB
ID:	145132   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1359.jpg
Views:	960
Size:	611.7 KB
ID:	145133   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1360.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	559.4 KB
ID:	145134  
sc2whls4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
ImNoPrince
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Very Nice. I have an 06D and wanted to Keep my Mids as they work well in the City but needed a Shifter in forwards for HW riding. It was very easy to do , might even be something for you to look at in the future. I didn't think and haven't needed the Brake as I'm more in the Mid then not , I would think yours would be the same in the forward if that's what your use to and just looking for some relief

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ImNoPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
Bumbobee
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nice, I will probably do this mod come spring time. Any chance you have the exact list of parts needed to do this on an 09 DX?
Old 12-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
AZEagle
** Place ad here **

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Part numbers...
www.logixwiz.com
AZEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
nic_a_bod
"A" is the only way

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I performed the same mod to my bike a couple years ago, I wasn't as lucky to have the mounting points on the frame already for the alt side as my bike is a '02 so I did some welding on her while I had it apart for painting.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
davey1
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here are the part numbers from my 2008 Parts Book... less the parts for the pegs and the right side spacer (from Lowes). Someone might want to sanity check me but these are the parts that should do it. I have not ordered or put these on yet.

4470M Screw (long screw for the rt side bracket)
4471M Screw (long screw for the left side bracket at top)
4250M Screw (set of 2, 1 for the bottom of the left side bracket and 1 for the left foot peg rider)
51089-06BK Clevis rider, front, right
51091-06BK Foot Peg Mounting rider, left, black
51097-06 Clevis rider, front, left

David

2008 VRSCDX, SuperTrapp FatShots, PCV w/AT, K&N, Corbin seat, Rifle Sportshield, Memphis Shades lowers, Avon Cobras, Kuryakyn PC'd Pegs w/stirrups, Avon Grips, 883 Iron Handlebar, BarEnder helmet locks, GRC Turn Signal Relo
davey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
ncst8er
Registered Full

One thing to keep in mind is that if you have one of the other models (A or B), the mid pegs may not clear the stock exhaust. Since the D & DX use much of the same exhaust system as the VRSCR (D is identical); it works for them. I kept my mids for that reason, though right now I have extensions on them so the passenger is more comfortable. I'll be putting the Cyclevisions mids on for the passenger and going back to the stock mids for my use when no passenger is on board.
ncst8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
sc2whls4me
Cruzin the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncst8er View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that if you have one of the other models (A or B), the mid pegs may not clear the stock exhaust.
You're right. I just started looking at some AW pictures and the heat shield on the stock exhaust looks like it might interfere. Can't tell whether notching it (as done on the stock VRSCD) would work or not. Something to be aware of.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
trbo2nr
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc2whls4me View Post
You're right. I just started looking at some AW pictures and the heat shield on the stock exhaust looks like it might interfere. Can't tell whether notching it (as done on the stock VRSCD) would work or not. Something to be aware of.
What list of parts did you use?
2007 NightRod Special K&N/Topless/Tab Slash Cuts/PCIII USB/Superbrace/Sundowner/Rear brake light conversion/Battery tender wiring/45736-07 Steering Stem Nut Kit/75210-07B Fuel level sensor/LED rear brake light/Swing arm and front cap covers/Diamond black grips/pegs/shifter/ Black bars/69873-07 headlamp/AW pillion #52387-07/Ghost Rider mirrors/lower shock bolt covers/260 Metzler 880, Ron Cooper upper fork covers, Progressive 440 and Progressive front lowering springs.
trbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
sc2whls4me
Cruzin the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbo2nr View Post
What list of parts did you use?
I used the parts list for an 07 VRSCD. I don't have the parts list on hand but Davey1 in post #6 above has provided the part numbers from a parts book... they are all 2006 numbers so they should be correct
Old 01-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
davey1
Registered Full

Got my parts back from powdercoating this morning and mounted the pegs this afternoon. Back when I ordered the parts I wondered if mid-mounts were going to be all that comfortable or if I'd feel a bit cramped but I gotta say, these are perfect and are going to make a nice alternative on trips.

Thanks to sc2whls4me.

d

2008 VRSCDX, SuperTrapp FatShots, PCV w/AT, K&N, Corbin seat, Rifle Sportshield, Memphis Shades lowers, Avon Cobras, Kuryakyn PC'd Pegs w/stirrups, Avon Grips, 883 Iron Handlebar, BarEnder helmet locks, GRC Turn Signal Relo
Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
Dragonfire
Stealth user

Did that conversion on my coppertop as soon as I got it and everyone said it couldn't be done. I have an 06 D and knew I could. I have a CFR pipe on the coppertop so the xpipe was no prob
08 VRSCAWA #0709, CFR, SERT, SE air filter, ram air, wind deflector, dual shift & pegs, CHROME
06 Nightrod, vivid Black/Cherry, Stealth DFO, Force staggered pipes
99 Silverado, 6L V8, KN race intake n filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, etc. Leather n electric everything.
08 Fuzion luxury motorcycle cover

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #13
skiracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc2whls4me View Post
This topic has been discussed before in terms of aftermarket pieces but I don't think a Harley parts solution has been mentioned before. My DX bagger has forward controls and while I have adapted to that riding position, on LONG rides I need an alternate position - even if just for a few minutes to take the pressure off my arse. Every hour I found I had to get off the bike for a minute or two and bend stretch my legs. I also found the forward control position uncomfortable on rough roads, being unable to take up the shock in my legs as a mid control position would permit. In addition there have been questions before on alternate peg positions for passengers, again, always dwelling on aftermarket solutions.

After comparing the differences between a 2007 Nightrod vs my DX, I've figured out that identical mid mounted control mounting positions exist on the wide tire bikes (AW and DX) as the narrow tire models. Using stock Harley bracketry and mounting hardware. I now have mid mounted pegs on my DX. This permits me to change to a standard position and remain comfortable - even esp on rough roads. For 2-up riding, the mid peg provides a relaxed foot position for the passenger - tho if they are short (say less than 5'7" ) it might be out of reach. I took a friend for a ride who was 5'9" and he found it to be really comfortable. The only piece I had to scavenge was a 2 inch 3/4 in dia steel spacer for the right side. Got it from Lowes for less than $2 and painted it black. Still have to blacken the left side shaft.

I don't have the part numbers, but the parts manual at the local stealership lists all the parts. Get all the brackets and bolts listed for the VRSCD. Total came out to about $125, less the pegs themselves which I had saved after changing out the front pegs for longer Harley units.
I've got the same set up on my DX, but my mid-footpegs are spring loaded, i.e., I can't fold them up when they are not in use. It looks like you don't have springs installed on yours. davey1 listed the parts and those are the same parts I purchased and installed, again, though, with the springs. Did you do anything different?

Thanks in advance for your help . . .
skiracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #14
davey1
Registered Full

sc2 and I used the same setup, that is, no springs, and the pegs snap smartly into place, up or down. Since I never had the springs I don't know any issues in removing them.....but if you have the same setup as pictured on sc2's post then it should be fine without the springs.

BTW, sc2 sold his bike back in Dec and is no longer on the forum.
d

Old 06-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #15
skiracer

Hi David --

Thanks for this response. I figured out why I have the springs. While what I ordered includes the parts you listed, I ordered "assemblies", which included the springs, instead of just the part you listed. I removed the springs last night and replaced the pins the clips with a couple of washers and a bolt.

Thanks again . . .
skiracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement