Turbo or BIG bore - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Big Bore/Turbo/SC/NOS area
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
Brett Rahn
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo or BIG bore

I have an 09 NR special, It looks like the most bang for the buck is the turbo kits from Trask. Can anyone please reply the good and bad of these kits and if they really make the power that is advertised? My bike currently has the SE race tuner Vance and Hines Indy GEN 3 pipe open airbox etc. I am looking at doing the heads with Ohio Vrod and cams, throttle bodies etc, but the turbo looks like it makes big power, IS IT RELIABLE??? Comment from Trask users please, Does it hurt parts? I don't race it it only has 800 miles on it,just a weekend bike but needs more power please submit replies and thank you all for your time, PS if I go turbo- Pipe and other stuff will be for sale but that is for a later thread Brett
Brett Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
Ethan
Registered Full

OK I know you asked for Turbo owners to reply.. I confess I am not one although I did a lot of research before settling on my power adders.

Turbos are great and as long as you dont mind the look of the plumbing (I like it) then it is a reliable and proven system that does exactly what you need it to. There are a lot of very happy Trask users out there. It is worth looking at the Aerocharger turbo as well, another very good system that gives you huge amounts of power and is very well put together. I went for the Rotrex Supercharger mainly because it doesnt have the turbo lag (better take offs), allowed me to keep the pipes I liked and was a bit different. It is however new on the market so has not been tested over the long run (unless you include Shams test-to-destruction efforts which were pretty comprehensive) Also had the Boss Noss 50 hp shots. Great for the strip, runs out of juice too quick but still the best fun you can get for around $1000.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
fleshwound
HUGE member

Feedback Score: 22 reviews
well i had the same set up as you indy, tuner , topless . and i just installed a trask turbo on my bike and it does make the power they say it does. dont over boost it , keep it at 9lbs and you will be fine as long as you dont hold it wide open for long periods of time (heat builds too much) it is a very reliable system. easy install too. its waaaay fun to ride kinda like a 2 stroke dirt bike with a powerband . power just builds and builds . 2nd and 3rd gears are ALOT of fun.

"My bright is too slight to hold back all my dark"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaLtv...e_gdata_player

try something different....
http://angelsandairwaves.com/?project_id=3
fleshwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
o2man98
The 1402 Originator

Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Definitely go Stroker. With your 1250 all you need is a crank and pistons to get you bigger. With the other parts listed you will have a heck of a ride. You can get the stroker for about half the cost of that turbo.
Call me at 920-860-0116 for ordering. Best times will be after 5pm weekdays or anytime weekends.
Contact me directly for forum member pricing as Authorized Dealers are not allowed to advertise discounted rates publicly.
Get DEALER COST immediately on your first order by following these instructions. Purchase at dealer cost.
o2man98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
Brett Rahn
Registered Full

Stroker

Yea but with that there is alot of labor invoved and even with that still have to do heads , cams and TB and then will it make that kind of power???
Old 12-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
Brett Rahn
Registered Full

Info

Flesh wound your bike is an 07? Is that 1130 CC ? can you elaberate if you want the power and torque you made, Did you use the SE super tuner? And does the 1250 cc motor do any better Brett
Old 12-10-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
stomper
REVOLUTION !!!

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Rahn View Post
Yea but with that there is alot of labor invoved and even with that still have to do heads , cams and TB and then will it make that kind of power???
IT all depends on where you want to feel all that power !! The Big Bore will be great from stoplight to stoplight and the Turbo is more of a top end racer
stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #8
fleshwound
HUGE member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomper View Post
IT all depends on where you want to feel all that power !! The Big Bore will be great from stoplight to stoplight and the Turbo is more of a top end racer
well i think that depends....if tou have the skills or balls to wind it up a lil before launching. this whole "turbo lag" thing is a lil over done imho. mine winds up pretty fast if your cruising around 3-4 k rpm you are pretty close to the power. even on a big bore you will have to drop a gear while cruising to get into the meat of the power. #'s wise yea the big bores and turbos get pretty close in hp #'s im not sayin to chose a turbo over a big bore at all. i like them both and there are plenty of risks with both.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
fleshwound
HUGE member

Quote:
Flesh wound your bike is an 07? Is that 1130 CC ? can you elaberate if you want the power and torque you made, Did you use the SE super tuner? And does the 1250 cc motor do any better Brett
yes mine is a 07 1130cc. do i want the power i made ? hell ya!! you can never have enough right? and i use the PC3 seems to work just fine. altho i am thinking of switching to the sest or the master tuner
i think the 1250 does do even better but im not sure #'s wise how much

jeff

Old 12-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
Brett Rahn
Registered Full

Turbo

Yeah I like turbos I race a GS1150 Suzuki with a 40 mm Rajay F trim on it and at 16 psi of boost it makes 286 rwhp,I have had 3 different Asperated motor from Big name builders and they did not make that kind of steam. I leave the starting line at 8500 rpm off the 2 step, But anyway Does the trask have Lag? and do you see any adverse affects with turbo, Big bore stuff is exspensive, and I believe it can be a hassle, BUT so can Turbos Just trying to use my race ideas and put it to a Vrod witch I know 0 about LOts of Ideas out here though
Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #11
fleshwound
HUGE member

Quote:
Yeah I like turbos I race a GS1150 Suzuki with a 40 mm Rajay F trim on it and at 16 psi of boost it makes 286 rwhp,I have had 3 different Asperated motor from Big name builders and they did not make that kind of steam. I leave the starting line at 8500 rpm off the 2 step, But anyway Does the trask have Lag? and do you see any adverse affects with turbo, Big bore stuff is exspensive, and I believe it can be a hassle, BUT so can Turbos Just trying to use my race ideas and put it to a Vrod witch I know 0 about LOts of Ideas out here though
well there is lag BUT only when you are cruising. say you and a buddy want to just snap the throttle and race. BUT AGAIN just as he will so can you either drop a gear or pull the clutch in , get the r's up to get the turbo spinning, release and wave by by to him. trust me there is not much lag at all cause you are cruising at a rpm range that is sooo close to to getting the turbo spining fast at that 3500-4500 rpm range anyway. big bore is a lil cheaper (if you do the work yourself) and if you dont like the looks of the turbo on the side. then i would have no probs goin BB infact i almost did. i got a list from big will and started pricing it out even. there are many more on here more knowledgable than me on BB engines, hell they may totally dissagree.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #12
fleshwound
HUGE member

as adverse affects go... i havent seen any but i just put mine on at the end of this season. there have been meltdowns with both turbo and BB its the risk you take .

Old 12-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #13
ohioVROD

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I have no comment I think Brett knows where my opinion will lie! HAHA Good luck in your decision process it is a tough one.

Authorized dealer for Vance & Hines, MegaCycle Cams, CP Pistons, Brown's Plating, Carrilo Rods, ARP Studs, Falicon Crankshafts and Diamond Heads.

Services offered: Case Boring-26T Pulley-58mm Throttle Body-Slotting Sprockets-Pinning of Bearings-Custom Machined Wheels & Rear Pulleys- Engine Brace Kit

ohioVROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
Lane
TURBONATOR

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Brett
Trask turbo is everything they say it is, I put a manual Boost controller with the Tmax ecm and I am able to change the boost on the fly. This last fall I turned the boost up to 9.5 lbs and had it dynoed and it turned 172 HP 126 lbs of Tourque. The HP is right where James from (Zippers) said it would be.
If you dont mind the turbo hangin on the side (IMO) it looks like part of the bike because it is tucked in pretty tight, then you wont be disapointed. As far as lag, there isnt much lag at all, it is very responsive. Even on the low end taking off from a stop light it has plenty of power without winding up much.

06 SE (Lane-r-ized)

Everything I say is for entertainment purpose only
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
Chillichugger
Get a brain! Morans

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is there anyone here who went turbo and is regretting not going big bore, or vice versa? Pretty sure everyone is just going to confirm thier choice, but worth throwing out there.

Aside from the labor/specialized tools, the parts I would want for BB would be pretty similar to a turbo.

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.

If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.

If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Chillichugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement