Cooling fan be carefull - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-21-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
Bad Attitude
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Cooling fan be carefull

I lost 1 cooling fan awhile back due to my front header bolts
coming off.Cooked the shit out of the upper fan motor.
Well I found a great deal on ebay for fans @ $ 45.00 ea.so I buy
a couple $ 90.00 and free shipping.Thats a lot better than the $210.00 HD wanted for the hole fan assembly right.After pulling the
old fan assemble out I removed my cooked fan,eazy removal because its all baked up.
I tried installing the new fan and find out you have to remove the fan blade to get it in the fan mounting bracket,these fan blades
are not ment to be removed,I tried for 45 minutes and found theres
no way to remove the blade with out wrecking it.
So now I have to order the hole assembly $ 210.00 plus the
$ 90.00 bucks I paid on ebay for the stand alone fans.So if anyones
looking for a couple of stand alone fan be carefull as you can't get
them in the mounting bracket without removing the blade which isn't
designed to be removed.
Long story short spend the long dollar and buy HD's $ 210.00
assembly 3 bolts and unplug the motors stick the new assembly in
and plug the 2 motors in your done.
Bad Attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009, 05:12 AM   #2
nic_a_bod
"A" is the only way

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Here's what I find odd, harley only sells the new unit like you mentioned and us guys with the older bikes have two separate fans. So the way they mount to the radiator must be close to being the same. So I would think maybe you are just needing a couple extra pieces to be able to mount the single fans. I'll take some pics when I go to pull my radiator here shortly.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:14 AM   #3
bikerabbi
Not Dead Yet

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Attitude View Post
a couple $ 90.00 and free shipping.Thats a lot better than the $210.00 HD wanted for the hole fan assembly right.After pulling the
old fan assemble out I removed my cooked fan,eazy removal because its all baked up.
I tried installing the new fan and find out you have to remove the fan blade to get it in the fan mounting bracket,these fan blades
designed to be removed.
Yeah, that was a Harley "change" discovered in the early V-Rods. Originally you could do what you tried, (I think the fans from the manufacturer were $25) because the fans were originally put in separately - then somebody at R & D must have spotted a way to make more money...
2005 Orange CVO. V-Modded Screamin' Eagle Slip-Ons, Gil's Fuel Integrator,factory stage 1 flash, Ohlin Shocks, semi-topless, Kuryakyin: ISO grips, LED meter, lighted turn signal mirrors, and horn cover,Heavycycle LEDs, 30T, RaceTech Suspension w/emulators, Rick's Tank, AMSOIL and, oh yeah: a garage door opener.
'70 Triumph Bonneville
bikerabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
myvrodrocks
myvrodrocks

Feedback Score: 24 reviews
why not just ziptie the single fans to the radiator? Who cares how they hold, as long as they hold...
myvrodrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:13 AM   #5
Bad Attitude
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
wrong cooling fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerabbi View Post
Yeah, that was a Harley "change" discovered in the early V-Rods. Originally you could do what you tried, (I think the fans from the manufacturer were $25) because the fans were originally put in separately - then somebody at R & D must have spotted a way to make more money...
Your probley right I'm running an 05 B.Now if theres any of
you guys looking for a set of single fans or just 1 fan pm me and
all take care of ya.Cheep.Mean time I have the 2 fan assembly coming.
Not sure about that zip tie idea,sound a little shaky to me.
My advice is keep a close eye on your nuts is in header nuts,as it
sure can fry that little fan motor.At least there wasn't any harm done
to the engine.I'm also keeping a lose eye on my coolant gauge.
Bad Attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
bikerabbi
Not Dead Yet

Found this from Danno 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Attitude View Post
designed to be removed.
1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > How-To > How-To
Cooling Fans: Listen Up

10-13-2005, 09:31 PM #1
Danno
Wretched Excess.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently battled a problem of popping the “Battery” fuse on my bike and it was intermittent as to when it popped. When the “Battery” fuse blows, it kills the tach, speedo, fuel gauge and LCD display on your instrument cluster. This fuse provides power to the instrument cluster on pin 1 and provides 12V to the cooling fan relay. I found that one of my fans was stiff to turn and it felt like the bearing was about to seize. When the coolant temp rose and the fans were activated, the fan drew too much current trying to spin up and popped the fuse.

The fans for 02 and 03 models are individual units and carry part #26724-01. When I called the dealer, they told me the price is $241.00 (not a typo) and that part number is obsolete. Their system referenced a new assembly so I had them look that up. It is a twin fan assembly that is used on 04 to current models and carries a price of $638.00 (still no typo). Blown away by this, I told them no thanks and luckily found a used one.

The price of the fan pissed me off so I started digging. It turns out that the MoCo used SPAL as a supplier (good thing) who is a large manufacturer of electrical cooling fans. It turns out that these fans carry a SPAL part # of VA31-A101-46A. This fan is used in ATV applications and can be obtained from them direct at www.spal-usa.com at a retail price of $67.95. That’s right, $67.95. I’ve attached the data sheet for the fan below if you want to see the specs. I haven’t had the time to find a discounted source online but I’m sure there’s a cheaper source out there. The only thing I haven’t been able to verify is the electrical connector used but at worst case you could cut off the old connector and splice it in.

Now the bad news: The 04 and newer models carry a SPAL part # of 2VA58-A101-46A. These are the exact same fans but are in a larger plastic assemble and the fans have their blades pressed on with the motor in the assemble so they can not be separated. This means if one fan dies, the whole assembly has to be replaced. When I asked about the price of this assembly, they couldn’t give me one. Turns out that this is an OEM assembly and they do not carry the item for sale. This means that if you lose a fan, your local dealer is the only choice for replacement. Now if it were me, I would buy two individual fans and find a way to mount them like the 02 and 03 models. I don’t have an 04 radiator for reference so I can’t compare the fan mounting tabs but it should work. The dealer told me the new assembly is sold as a replacement for my 03 so I assume the old fans would also fit the 04 and newer models.

Tip 1: The next time you have your left radiator shroud off, identify the connector for the top fan and mark it (each fan has its own connector). I put a blue zip tie on mine. This way, if you start popping fuses and you trace it back to one of the fans, you can disconnect that fan, put a spare fuse in and get yourself home. The remaining fan may have to run longer but you will still have a fan helping to cool the bike. I had given thought to adding an inline fuse for each fan but realized I would have no indicator if one of the fuses blew.

Tip2: The service manual calls for the removal of the exhaust to replace the fans. I was able to replace my top fan by removing the lower radiator bolts and cross member, loosening the top mount nuts, pulling the bottom of the radiator outward and sliding the fans out through the bottom. I had to remove the bottom fan first but it was no big deal. This way will save you about $11 in new exhaust gaskets and the hassle of removing/replacing the exhaust system by yourself.

I know this post in long but maybe this will help someone out and save them a few bucks in the future.
Attached Files V-Rod_Fan.pdf (70.0 KB, 267 views)

I was told: It's not a matter of if you'll go down, but when.... Been there, done that and forgot to get a T-Shirt..... Kuryakyn Levers? Just say NO!!!!________Life is NOT the internet! Get out and ride!!

Danno
2005 Orange CVO. V-Modded Screamin' Eagle Slip-Ons, Gil's Fuel Integrator,factory stage 1 flash, Ohlin Shocks, semi-topless, Kuryakyin: ISO grips, LED meter, lighted turn signal mirrors, and horn cover,Heavycycle LEDs, 30T, RaceTech Suspension w/emulators, Rick's Tank, AMSOIL and, oh yeah: a garage door opener.
'70 Triumph Bonneville
Old 11-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
rjrivero
Friend of Max.

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
bikerabbi,

Be aware that the post from Danno applies to his 2003 VRSCA. In 2005 they switched from the older bracket to the newer bracket. The older bracket you could remove the fans independently. The problem with that old bracket is the flex. The older fans would eventually flex the bracket and the fans would start dragging on the radiator. This would either cause the fans to burn up, or worse, it would cause the blades to rub down the radiator. The radiator would eventually rub down and you would end up with a coolant leak.

While the new fans bracket helps eliminate the issue, you can no longer remove the motors individually. Pain in the ass, but it's even worse when you have to replace the entire radiator.
What you have just read is my opinion. I assume no responsibility for anyone applying my opinions to their own VRSC motorcycle, much less their own lives. Do not duplicate these stunts. They are preformed for you by trained monkeys. There is nothing professional in what you have just read.

V-Rod Editor American Iron Magazine

I will no longer be recieving PM's. Please contact me via the email option. Thanks.

RJ
rjrivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
bikerabbi
Not Dead Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrivero View Post
bikerabbi,

Be aware that the post from Danno applies to his 2003 VRSCA. In 2005 they switched from the older bracket to the newer bracket. The older bracket you could remove the fans independently. The problem with that old bracket is the flex. The older fans would eventually flex the bracket and the fans would start dragging on the radiator. This would either cause the fans to burn up, or worse, it would cause the blades to rub down the radiator. The radiator would eventually rub down and you would end up with a coolant leak.

While the new fans bracket helps eliminate the issue, you can no longer remove the motors individually. Pain in the ass, but it's even worse when you have to replace the entire radiator.
It's good to know that the change included sound engineering considerations. But did they have to make it a fixed installation
or could the fans have been individually removable?
'70 Triumph Bonneville
Old 11-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
rjrivero
Friend of Max.

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerabbi View Post
It's good to know that the change included sound engineering considerations. But did they have to make it a fixed installation
or could the fans have been individually removable?
I'm sure it would have been possible, but it would have taken more weight, as well as adding weak spots to the mount. When you start putting hardware in to hold parts down, the result is generally weaker than a single piece properly designed.

I'm not privvy to the opportunity costs involved in the development of the new fan mount, but if and when the fans on my 2003 go out, I won't be replacing the fans individually. I'll replace it with the stronger unit.
What you have just read is my opinion. I assume no responsibility for anyone applying my opinions to their own VRSC motorcycle, much less their own lives. Do not duplicate these stunts. They are preformed for you by trained monkeys. There is nothing professional in what you have just read.

V-Rod Editor American Iron Magazine

I will no longer be recieving PM's. Please contact me via the email option. Thanks.

RJ
rjrivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Guys,
It is possible to replace a single fan on the newer assemblies. CapnGeo and I did it. The fan blades are simply pressed on to the motor shaft. Using a 3" pipe to support the blades use a small punch and tap the shaft out of the blades center. Reverse the process to install the new fan using a press of some sort.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
bikerabbi
Not Dead Yet

Fan exchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
Guys,
It is possible to replace a single fan on the newer assemblies. CapnGeo and I did it. The fan blades are simply pressed on to the motor shaft. Using a 3" pipe to support the blades use a small punch and tap the shaft out of the blades center. Reverse the process to install the new fan using a press of some sort.
Hoo-rah! Good to know, thanks.
'70 Triumph Bonneville
Old 04-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
prplhays
06 VRSCR

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Saturday I blew the battery fuse and yesterday I figured out my upper radiator fan is kaput. Kind of pisses me off that my 06 bike is only 3 years old, since bought new, and only has 7500mi on it. There's no telling how long this fan has been bad. May have been quite a while and just recently it ended up blowing the fuse.

I'm going to go with buying the SPAL VA31-A101-46A and use a punch to knock the new blade off the new fan and re-press it back on once the fan body is installed.

I have unhooked the supply voltage to the upper fan and am wondering if I keep an eye on my oil temp, which I always do, would the bike be safe to ride around until I get the new fan motor? Temps here are getting into the mid 80's and there is next to no stop-n-go where I will be doing most of my riding.

jim
prplhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
Lane
TURBONATOR

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by prplhays View Post
I have unhooked the supply voltage to the upper fan and am wondering if I keep an eye on my oil temp, which I always do, would the bike be safe to ride around until I get the new fan motor? Temps here are getting into the mid 80's and there is next to no stop-n-go where I will be doing most of my riding.

jim
My lower fan went out at the end of summer last year. I was able to keep riding but i changed the temp for the fan to come on alot sooner. It did ok but I don't remember any outside temps being close to 90.

06 SE (Lane-r-ized)

Everything I say is for entertainment purpose only
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #14
prplhays
06 VRSCR

Thanks, I realize the upper fan is for the coolant, but the oil temp gauge is the only thing I have rely on to try and gauge engine heat. I'm currently staying below 195deg on the oil gauge.

jim
prplhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
HITMAN_VROD

Battery fuse keeps blowing

Been having same problem with my 2005 VRSCB. Will check fans, thanks for the info.
Advertisement