Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Too much oil inside airbox...

13K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  DungeonWorks 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I've spent days researching oil inside of the airbox. For the most part, it's normal. I do, however, feel I have too much inside there. And, I'm burning some oil.

Question: Should I try throwing a K&N type filter and remove the PCV setup completely? Or, leave it?

I've read of incorrect filters being installed inside the PCV. How do I take the thing apart to check and what do I look for?

Thanks so much for your time,
Tom

09 Muscle

#2 ·
been there, done that

Question: Should I try throwing a K&N type filter and remove the PCV setup completely? Or, leave it?
a K&N is the best bet yes. non-oiled filters reduce air flow when the oil sprays onto them. the K&N is oiled so no big deal.
as for the PCV, there is none. just a hose from each head to a catch-can that leaks.
If you are using Syn-3 oil, STOP! , switch to Redline, Mobile 1, or Amsoil, and most of the oil spray, and consumption will subside. mine sprayed so much oil with Syn-3, it would build up in the IAC, and kill the engine at stop lights after a hard run. some here have installed a drip line down from the heads, that sprays on to the back tire! not so good to have in the turns I bet.

I've read of incorrect filters being installed inside the PCV. How do I take the thing apart to check and what do I look for?
there is a small piece of breather filter in it, but it is worthless.
you can replace it with a metal scruby, and it will work a bit better.
I redesigned mine into an oil separator system, and it did work, but it is a bit intricate. the can is just held together with 2 tits, into 2 slots. just work it apart with a very small screw driver. use an o-ring around the can over and under the tabs to hold the can top down better when you put it back on.

#3 ·
the best advice I can offer is "Be Patient" If you are riding an 09 muscle then the engine most likely has not broken-in properly....yet.
an internal combustion engine is and has been compared to a big air pump where the combustion causes some pressure loss by the rings. As all engine wear in they begin to develop a set, then that pressure loss in minimized. the pressure goes into the crankcase causing aireated oil. some of it goes into the air box where the harmful wastes the EPA says need to be reburned. some of that vapor then reforms into oil and stays as puddled oil, just wipe it out, clean it up and wait until after you have changed to synthetic oil and the problem wont be as bad. the normal high RPM generated by the hot rod will also cause aireating oil vapor.
Most likely you are riding the bike hard and heavy now cause it is fun. being patient will get you less oil in your air box. taking out the pvc system wont stop your oil vapor from being purged from the crankcase. Oh and changing the air filter will help the air flow.

#4 ·
You should have a fine film of oil inside the air box under the filter. If it's collecting under there, then you may have an issue with an over filled crankcase. That's the number one reason I see oil puddling on the bottom of the airbox.

#5 ·
Hi Guys,
I have 3,200 miles on my Muscle and have TABS, a TAB Filter, Topless, and ThunderMax. I'm running 5 qts. of Amsoil and have been since 500 miles. The little "K&N filters" I was referring to are the crankcase breather filters they make.

The "PCV" I was referring to is the catch can. Some people have this off. Some people take it apart and do something to it...

Thank you!!
Tom

#6 ·
The little "K&N filters" I was referring to are the crankcase breather filters they make.

The "PCV" I was referring to is the catch can. Some people have this off. Some people take it apart and do something to it...
I take it apart and do something to it. works good for me.
I use the "little K&N or UNI crankcase filters" inside the catch can to make an oil separator. the filters alone will just drip oil all the time.

#9 ·
Oily intake Batman

My airbox was covered in oil too.

I disassembled the little black canister using a thin screwdriver and a lot of patience. Inside, I found that the two fiber pads were poorly stacked and therefore allowed oil to migrate past them rather than through them. I carefully cleaned them with dish soap and water, then inserted them into the upper half of the canister, making sure that the center of the pads were higher than the edges (this is so that the oil droplets migrate down the outer edges of the canister and back into the crankcase). When properly in place they take the shape of two Chinese straw hats atop one another.

I fixed it over a year ago and the problem hasn't returned. It also greatly reduced my oil consumption.

BTW, that little canister is expensive.

#10 ·
My airbox was covered in oil too.

I disassembled the little black canister using a thin screwdriver and a lot of patience. Inside, I found that the two fiber pads were poorly stacked and therefore allowed oil to migrate past them rather than through them. I carefully cleaned them with dish soap and water, then inserted them into the upper half of the canister, making sure that the center of the pads were higher than the edges (this is so that the oil droplets migrate down the outer edges of the canister and back into the crankcase). When properly in place they take the shape of two Chinese straw hats atop one another.

I fixed it over a year ago and the problem hasn't returned. It also greatly reduced my oil consumption.

BTW, that little canister is expensive.
thanks for the tip.

#12 ·
Strength and patience of Job

If I remember correctly, there are two, horizontally opposing locks that can be pried simultaneously to release the two halves. It isn't easy, so be patient.

It would probably help if you had another set of helping hands to pull the two halves apart while you push the two tiny screwdrivers into the locks.

#13 ·
I had the same issue after my 1300 build. Ultimately I ended up cutting up a Buff Puff shower scrub pad (somewhat like a scotchbrite pad but thicker and a more open weave) and adding it to the catch canister, thus increasing the baffeling in the canister. Since this mod, I've had very little spary in the airbox.

#14 ·
I am thinking about a "T" fitting that ends directly atop the velcity stack. Oil mist goes in, and is burned. No oily airbox. Joe

#16 ·
I know this is old, but did you try this and did it work? Replacing my breathers due to dry rot and trying to see what others have done rerouting the breathers.

Thanks Joe. Hope all is well out West!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.