Newbie Q - Mid controls for V-Rod - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
vunckkev

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie Q - Mid controls for V-Rod

Hi folks,

New to the forum and have a question...

I prefer the mid placement of the controls on the Street Rod, as a standard ridind position offers better support for my lower back. I have been seeing some great deals on VRSCAs and it makes me wonder - is there a way to set up an A with R placed controls? orpegs at least... I know this wouldn't offer the ground clearance of the Street Rod, or the extra ponies, but...

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Kevin
vunckkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
Vrod-Mike
Chrome is king!!!

Feedback Score: 18 reviews

If you buy one of the newer bikes you can just order all of the parts from a D model and install them on your bike. It's a little expensive and takes soem time, but it can be done.

Where in NJ are you from?
Vrod-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
Homewrek

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Vrscd

Instead of looking for an A and installing mid mount controls why wouldn't you look for a VRSCD? There are probably some good deals on the D with mid-mount controls for model years 2006-2008. The D also has forward pegs for stretching out.
With the D you get the best of the R (mid mount controls) and the A in a stock model.
Homewrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
vunckkev

Thanks

Mike - I'm in Franklin (Sussex County)

Homewrek - you're right, it makes more sense to buy what I want, rather than try to retrofit something that I can get a good deal on - it'll end up costing me more.

Saw the new Rods at the IMS in NYC yesterday, beautiful bikes for sure...

In terms of fit & finish - do you guys think that the newer bikes are the same / better / not as good as the early ones?
vunckkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Homewrek

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Differences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vunckkev View Post

Homewrek - you're right, it makes more sense to buy what I want, rather than try to retrofit something that I can get a good deal on - it'll end up costing me more.

In terms of fit & finish - do you guys think that the newer bikes are the same / better / not as good as the early ones?
You saw the DX and the Muscle at the IMS. If you want mid-mount controls it has to be the D Night Rod model. The differences vary by each year from '06 through '08 on the VRSCD.
Simply:
-The '06 is an 1130cc Revolution engine, has a 3.7 gallon fuel tank, and the ignition switch is on the right side beneath the seat.
-The '07 still has the 1130cc Revolution engine but has a 5.0 gallon tank and the ignition switch is forward on the right side near the air box cover.
-The '08 has the 1250cc Revolution engine, the 5.0 gallon tank, the '07 ignition position and weighs about 30lbs more but gives an extra 5 HP (125HP vs 120HP).
The fit and finish on all 3 models is pretty close. The differences are the wheels, colors offered, and a couple of minor cosmetic things. It really depends on what you like and the price.
All D's have the 180 tire compared to the DX which has the 240 on later models and also a wider frame to accommodate it.

I bought an '06 from a guy in central NJ for $10,000 back in July. It's Cobalt blue and had only 500 miles on it. It came with the factory installed security system, a luggage rack, a windscreen, battery tender and he threw in a bunch of motorclothes too.
I'd guess that you can get an '06 somewhere in the Tri-state area with less than 5,000 miles for between $9000 and $12,000 depending on the miles and equipment.
The '07's are going to probably run you $2000 ($11,000 to $14,000 range) over the '06 range and the '08 will be similarly priced I would guess. There might be a local dealer that still has a new '08 on the floor or maybe even an '07 that will work a deal too.
Homewrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
sledge34b
Registered Full

07-08 big dif....

there is 1 major difference between an 07 d and an 08 d...the frame on the 08 is the same as the 08 dx...will fit the 240 wheel and tire with no changes but a diferent spacer...so go for an 08 d then you can put a 240 tire on if you want for just the price of the wheel and tire...
sledge34b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
dead eye
2007 D

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
dead eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:43 AM   #8
Malcomx
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Didn't the 08's also get Brembo brakes and a slipper clutch?
Malcomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
schamberlin5150
The Young One...

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
first you look at cheap then you look and somthin a little more expensive then you go all out and buy what you want. I would know

Muscle Wheels
Rizoma Bars
3" Extended Foot Controls
Lowered Headlight (w/ Yellow Bulb)
5" Front Slam Kit (Air Adjustable)
Arnotts Rear Air Shocks
Thundermax w/ 2-bar map sensor
TTS Performance ROTREX SUPERCHARGER Kit

SUPERCHARGED!!
schamberlin5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #10
sledge34b
Registered Full

yes you are right that 2.so a few major differents.i got an 08 d because of the deal they gave....and i cant ride a vrod with forward controls to short.but i do like the fact that it is all but the same as the dx.just has a little chrome on it.......
sledge34b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:16 AM   #11
BADAZV
Jeff/Modistrator

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Welcome to the forum!!
2005 "A"~SERT,w/DTHDOC's MAP~SE 16g Vmodded pipes~B riser w/vmod drag bars~Custom side plate mount by Arvid Hall~Willie G Seat~HD Reactor Wheels with AVON Tires,250 Rear~Amsoil Oil and Filters~DCL Custom 'V' light #2 w/variable brightness control, and Dutch Customs LED Blue Gauge lights~Fitzgerald 26t pulley~
Facebook/Jeff Mullins

RIP Jeannie
RIP Alex
RIP 4Play
BADAZV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:53 AM   #12
james_martin_50
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Handy Dan and I are in the process of doing this swap right now. It has been kind of a PITA... Different brake fluid requirements, different frame colors, different brake lines, etc... and I haven't even started to weld bungs onto the left side of my frame that are required for the peg mount. Looking back on it, I should have just ordered this: http://www.v-mod.com/shop/viewCategory.asp?CID=169,641 Bolt-on, and it would be done right now. It doesn't help that he is in California, and I am freezing here in the mid west...

2003 HD VRSCA (no story...yet...)
1999 YAMAHA WR400 (almost killed me)
1986 YAMAHA FAZER (46K and still kicking)
1986 YAMAHA RZ350 (the best bike... EVER.)
1982 YAMAHA VISION (dumbest gas tank... EVER.)
1979 YAMAHA DT400 (sleeved 3 times)
1976 YAMAHA RD400 (currently needs sleeved...)
1975 YAMAHA XS650 Chopper (AMEN Savior Frame - I ground this one together myself)

I'm just glad that somebody finally make a cruiser that runs like a 2-stroke!
james_martin_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
mattsnever
Slacker

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunckkev View Post

I can give you a good deal on an '07 VRSCD ....
mattsnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement