Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Fitting my midmounts (VRSCDX)

13K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  JoeCam 
#1 ·
The lovely young Sarah from Frasers Perth rang me this morning to tell me my mid mount parts had arrived. I had a yarn with the service manager this arvo and decided to start fitting it my self. I set me bike up on a lift with the back wheel just touching the floor, undid the swingarm shaft nut and removed it. It takes a fair whack to get it moving, but once you can get hold of it,it comes out pretty easy. It's bloody hot too if you've just been riding it. the stock engine mount needs a bit of fiddling to get out but it will come. I pushed out the rubber mount and put it in the new one. this is really fiddly to get in so I slackened the belt right off and removed the top shockie bolts to get a bit more movement and got it in. The wire and hose at the bottom of the new mount need to be pushed aside but otherwise I just put it all back together. The left hand side is just a matter of bolting on a bracket and fitting a foot peg speaking of which, they are not included in the kit. The threads were corroded and a tap would have made the job a lot easier. I'm currently using my pillion pegs on the new mounts and the riding position seems pretty good, though a bit cramped after 13 months of forward controls. I'll fit different bars tomorrow which I know will improve the riding position and I may need to reshape the seat as well. I've got no pics so far but I'll post a few when it's all done.

#4 ·
All done. I went on a 760 mile trip over the weekend with the standard controls and used the mid mounts as an alternative foot position pretty much the whole time. My dealer fitted the gear linkage and fitted and bled the brake system yesterday and I picked it up this arvo. This is how they should come from the factory. It's heaps easier / nicer to ride and feels much more responsive in corners. I'm about 5'11 and the bars, pegs and seat position suits me very well. Pics wise, it's just like lookin' at D or an R, though, I will post a couple to show the exhaust system clearance.

#5 ·
Very good! As you can see from my Avatar, I went a different route. I raised the handle bars 12" using the El Diablo designed chopper bars, wired them in and left the forward foot controls. I have to report that setup is perfect for touring, cruising and mountain riding. Yours is more like a quasi-race bike with aggressive forward lean angle but you still have to shift in the clam-shell position. If you like that position better, you want to complete the conversion and run your controls mid-ship.

#7 ·
Pete, what's the cost of doing something like that. I can do a conversion to USD. I love my setup but others have asked me and it would be nice to know for comparison purposes. All tallied up, it ran me $380 USD ($364 AUD) for the 12" over bars with wiring inside. I did the wire soldering to the old Harley connectors myself. FYI for anyone the color coding on these bars is the same as harley's but they are no instructions so if you have 4 yellow/red wires, you have to figure out where they go. You have to do the "pull n Tug" method to find out what wire goes to what connector.

#9 ·
I paid 981.55 for the kit and the brake lines. Part no's are H50700013 for the kit, H42268-08A and H42285-08A for the brake lines. I have ABS which adds to the cost, though I did get a 10% discount on everything. As for test riding a bike with this set up, look for a D or an R model with standard bars and give it a try. The only difference is the seat which I dont think is as thick on a DX. I'm leaning towards a bit more padding in the seat to increase the height by an 1" - 1 1/2" for a bit more comfort and better weight distribution.

#10 ·
I was curious, so I tried the mid-mount peg position in my garage last night. Pete I'm 5' 11" also but did not like it. Do your toes point down or do you scrap on hard leans? Can you put a few pics up with you on the bike riding it so we can see body/leg position and toe to ground position please. I may be wrong, but I can't be sure till I see someone my size on it.

IMHO I did not like the figure "7" shaped leg position from the saddle. It's too far back by the swing arm pivot. You only have 26 in. seat height and 15 in. space between your thigh and the peg. This is going to bother 6' + riders. You have to decide if you can handle that position on your legs for long periods of time. I do, however like the feet forward design of the NRS. I just wanted to sit up straighter. My Honda has a 34 in. height and I can handle that same seat/leg position just fine. If you don't like the leg position, change the handlebars. Paying $1000 for the mod to find out you can't handle it is a costly mistake. Even me, I paid close to that amount to change my bars. At least I have ridden plenty of choppers and other bikes with elevated handlebars. The NightRod is a whole different animal than a standard issue Harley. Try before you buy.

#11 ·
I'll take some pics and post them when I get a chance. I tried holding my feet in the mid mount position many times (which I assume is what you did). It's not the same as having the pegs there to take the weight of your legs. I also have standard bars and it's by far the most aggressive riding position of any Harley I've owned. Looking at a few pics of your bike, I dont know how comfortable it would be with high bars. My boots do scrape from time to time, but the first thing to touch on the bike is the underside of the radiator cowls.

#14 ·
VRSCDX Ground Clearance Problem Solved for ya Pete

http://http://www.1130cc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=192251&d=1354945464

Mate now I know why you scrape so much sooner than I do ....
here's a tip

1) put the side stand up when your riding.....
and
2) if you must ride with it down ... take the bloody big lump of wood off the end

P.S. This technicamle advice aint free so you can pay me in Pints when we go on our next ride over chrissy
Cheers
Coxy

#13 ·
Yeah, I agree with you. I was just doing that to get a rough approximate. It should feel different with the install. Now with you on it, it doesn't look bad at all! Good job on the pics! A pic is worth a thousand words!!! In answer to your question, my high bars is very comfortable indeed and stable. I can ride all day and never get tired. It's a matter of posture and what the rider likes!

I take it you checked out my garage photos?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.