Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

User review: TV-3 and Cobra Power Pro on 2012 VRSCDX's

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Z06_Pilot 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

I thought I would post my experience with these two fuelers. The TV-3 was on a 2012 NRS, and the Cobra Fi2000 Power Pro is on my current ride, a 2012 VRSCDX-Anniversary.

Ease of installation: hands down, the Cobra wins. connections to the o2 sensors and the injector plugs. A 20 minute job. The 6 connections for the TV-3 made the install take an hour.

Initial problems: Cobra wins again. The TV-3 was throwing codes, killing the motor on occasion, and sputtering a great deal. Required a good deal of testing to figure out a couple of the harness pins were not terminated properly. A new wiring harness fixed the issue.

The Cobra caused some hesitation and surging between 3k and 4k in any gear when cruising. A call to Cobra and it was resolved. They set a default fuel level when cruising, and depending upon the stock mapping, that can be off a little. They have a digital enrichment adjustment pot on the pcb board that allows you to increase or decrease the fuel delivery during cruising. Works perfectly after I applied an increase.

Support: Hands down, Cobra. The Terry support folks maintained from the beginning that there was no way the problem could be theirs. They offered no assistance in troubleshooting or diagnosing the problem. The tech at my dealership took it upon himself to ohm out all the pins in the harness to find the problem.

Phil at Cobra support absolutely rocks. The guy seems to know everything about fuel management and exactly how the Cobra unit interacts with the HD map and ECU. He told me right off the bat how to make the fuel level adjustment for cruising since the auto tuning feature only operates during acceleration or deceleration.

Performance: this is what we are after, right? The Cobra wins again. While the TV-3 certainly richens up the fuel mix and improves throttle response, the Cobra takes it to another level. Perhaps its the sampling rate of 80/second, but the throttle response is absolutely immediate, and the bike desperately wants to get to red line as quickly as possible.

Either unit will certainly improve on the oxygen-starved stock setup. In my case, the Cobra just gets the job done better with fantastic technical support.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice review/comparison, it's clear which tuner you prefer :) I'm curious to see how I handles different pipes, SE cams, different sizes stacks, turbo's, super chargers, big bores...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#3 ·
You know, I felt the TV-3 was fine while I had it. When I got my "newer" 2012, instead of moving the TV-3 over, I went with the Cobra just because another V-Rod rider who works at my local dealership raved about it's performance.

#6 ·
Hey JV,

I've been running it for a couple of months now and I have no complaints. I did have to adjust the digital fuel regulation setting on the circuit board inside the unit to richen up the fuel when cruising.

You simply pop the top off, use a small screwdriver, and turn the rheostat dial a notch or two to eliminate any popping you might be experiencing on decel.

I am still very pleased with it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.