Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Possible HP ?

6K views 54 replies 17 participants last post by  Rift 
#1 ·
Going to be bringing in my 2012 night rod special in. Going with the vances and hines 2 into 1 comp exhaust, SE air filter and SE race tuner. Anyone have this setup, if so what numbers are you pulling. Thanks!!!

#5 ·
Please take into account that all dynoes are different and my number are close but are on the upper end of what you may see. On a conservative dyno numbers will be in the 115hp/80tq. Are you planning any future mods? Your next couple of good mods are IMO stage 2 cams or the 26t front pulley. The cams are a good improvement over stock and put HP in the 125hp/85tq range. The 26t front pulley really makes the bike quick. It also helps when cruising around your town at slow speeds as you can pick up MPG by being able to run higher gears for less rpms. Your top speed will suffer some but the overall mod is worth it. With the mods you have 11 second 1/4 should be no problem. If you have any questions, you can pm me and I will be more than glad to help. Good luck with your bike.

#7 ·
I'm not an expert by any means but IMO probably if my bike was at a different dyno my numbers would be probably within 2 HP/3tq of what your saying because the place I used was known to have a happy dyno. I use the HD se airfilter and had it dynoed with sepst. I have an 11 dx and its the 1250.

#15 ·
OK I had the bike dynoed at my home dealership and was almost laughed off this forum. Its was the same setup as op had. The bike dynoed a rediculous 127hp/88tq. Sorry but that ain't gonna happen with stage 1 setup. With stage 2 cams its a possible number. Took it to a different Harley shop and got 121hp/85tq. That is at the upper end of what stage 1 will give you. For those that race I went 11.60/115mph 1/4 time. Now I have 26t pulley, destroyer 58mm tbs, destroyer injectors, mid-length velocity stacks, se stage 2 cams. Bike went 10.84/125mph. Also I ride several long road trips usually 500 miles or so and my mileage is right at 36 MPG. Imo mods don't hurt overall ridability or MPG as long as you ain't to hard on the throttle. My city mileage actually picked up a little because of the 26t pulley it lets me pull higher gears around town. I've pulled 5th gear as low as 25 MPH without lugging the bike. I don't recommend this but I wanted to see if it could.

#16 ·
Well we all know dyno numbers can get crazy. I think a lot of it has to do with the harley tech that's tunning the bike. A good tech will put miles on that bike trying to find the sweet spot. I will post a pic once my bike is done to show what it pulls, thanks for the help guys!!!

#21 ·
8s on a v-rod ain't gonna happen with the cases that we have right now. The engine will pull itself apart. If we had stronger after market cases then maybe stronger times would be possible. Then you would still need a strong lightweight chassis. Right now the destroyer is the best we have but with a good big bore and a good power adder Nos Turbo whatever. You could possibly get deep into the 9s but 8s is a whole different level. I'm currently on a race team with a friend and we run two bikes. My dx and his bus a. I'm currently running 10.80s on mine with a stock bore and stock bottom end. The busa is a different beast that runs 8.60s with a small big bore and nos. We have set a few goals for our team this year. 1 to win a track championship at our home track 2 I'm gonna try to get to the 10.50s on my dx and still keep it street able on pump gas. 3 this is tough one but my partner wants to do it and has the cash that is to make a 7 second pass on a street able busa. We have are work cut out for us but I think all 3 are reachable. Back to the 8 second v-rod you may be able to get there if you can find a shop that can build you a really light weight chassis then find a respectable engine builder that is known for making big power and last but not least find a experienced tuner that races bikes. IMO tuning a bike is just as hard as any race car. Hope you have about an extra $100k laying around cause getting a v-rod to run really quick ain't gonna be cheap. I saw in the 9 sec club a guy that made a custom chassis and put a stock 1130 motor in it and made it to the 9s. You can check that thread out and maybe get some ideas. I don't think the destroyer chassis is capable of doing 8s IMO.

#26 ·
#27 ·
Ok... that's 2 whole bikes in the world that have done it. And all of them grenaded at one point.

#29 ·
There has been a couple more, but anyone who wants to attempt that must have a race-only dedicated bike and some spare money, knowing it'll be asking for repairs sooner or later. In the case of extreme BBs we've all seen the cases' fate because of the boring thinning the walls. BCat has the quickest and did it with NOS and was recently testing with meth also. Indeed unless somebody puts some R&D in buildibg stronger cases/internals for the V (something being said for years) the implosions will probably keep going :sad:

:coff:

#30 ·
I seriously doubt anyone will ever make new cases for the V. Not enough of a market. The R&D costs would be substantial... so if anyone made them, with such a small market, the price would be huge.

#34 ·
I don't think so:ride:

#32 ·
Absolutely if running 8s is what you want to do then the v-rod is gonna be a money pit for that. Your best bet if you still want to run HD is go with one of the air-cooled motor as they have some really big motors out there. I've seen some as big as 200 inches. But they have thick after market cases that can make some really big power.

#40 ·
I have a 2012 Night Rod Special. 1250 engine, Screaming Eagle Tuner, Vance & Hines 2 to 1, and the Screaming Eagle Air Filter. My biked dyno'd at 124 horsepower and 82 Foot lbs of torque. Its great fun, don't get me wrong but I want more. I would like to double this #. What is the best way to go about this ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.