Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

2008 v 2007 wheels.

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Louis 
#1 ·
OK, so I've made hash of this. The idea is to turn an 08 (Muscle) wheel into an 07 (AW) wheel.

I was given to understand the total width of the 08 hub was the same as the 07. So, get an 07 inner spacer, two 07 bearings, machine the pocket deeper on the narrow bearing side of the 08 wheel until a 2007 bearing butted up against the 07 spacer, and Robert is your uncle's brother.

This is not working out.

The 07 internal spacer fills the gap between the 08 bearings fine. The hub would appear to be narrower, by the difference in width of the 08 and 07 bearing.

Q1 (the wheel is at the machine shop so I can't check), which is the narrow bearing side?

Q2 - you can't machine the pocket, there is not enough meat in the wheel. OK, so my machinist says "What's the problem? Just have the 07 bearing sticking out a bit - saves making a spacer anyway." I can't help feeling this won't work. But why?

#2 ·
louis, this is info i gathered from the forum, but never did it myself:

muscle wheels / 12+ DX wheels on pre-08 bikes

front wheel setup:
- use 25mm front axle p/n 41628-08
- use 25mm bearing p/n 9276A
- use front wheel inner sleeve p/n 41748-08
- reuse stock front wheel spacer

rear wheel setup
-use 1” wheel bearing that fits the narrow pocket: http://www.snowmobilebearings.com/6205-2RS-16-Bearings-1x52x15-Sealed.htm
- use rear wheel inner sleeve p/n 43704-08
- reuse your stock rear wheel spacer, comp bowl, and pulley

to answer your q:

1. 08+ wheels has the same pocket depth on both side
2. well, it might works, so you'll make a thinner spacer? my concern is on the rear wheel brake side, stock spacer is thin enough. Not sure if you can make it thinner without compromising the strength.

#3 ·
louis, this is info i gathered from the forum, but never did it myself:

muscle wheels / 12+ DX wheels on pre-08 bikes

-use 1” wheel bearing that fits the narrow pocket: http://www.snowmobilebearings.com/6205-2RS-16-Bearings-1x52x15-Sealed.htm
- use rear wheel inner sleeve p/n 43704-08
- reuse your stock rear wheel spacer, comp bowl, and pulley

to answer your q:

1. 08+ wheels has the same pocket depth on both side
2. well, it might works, so you'll make a thinner spacer? my concern is on the rear wheel brake side, stock spacer is thin enough. Not sure if you can make it thinner without compromising the strength.
Aha! That would explain a lot! This wheel came cheap off ebay. One side, I think, has been machined, but badly. We finished the job properly. The other side, I think he found what I have, no meat. I bought the snowmobile bearings, but lost them in a house move (Eva has been tearing the house apart for me again today, no joy). Maybe I buy them again, but first I wonder what the consequences are of the pulley side bearing protruding a bit from the pocket. Maybe I should press them in and offer it up...

#4 ·
Stop. Buy the standard bearings for the 08 wheel. Put them back in. buy the 25mm axle. buy the pulley bearing that fits that axle. Bolt together. Don't you remember the machining nightmare I went through in 08 with my 08 D wheels? You have to put a .4mm sleeve on the brake so it wont rattle on the axle. Then, BOB's YOUR UNCLE! Joe
Bore size of the bearing pocket is the same for the 07 and 08 and up bearings - only thickness is different. You have not hurt anything, but you will if you leave too much bearing out of that wheel. .020 is ok, but more is prone to failure. I have seen several sets of snowmobile bearings fail. Just say no!

#5 ·
It's the thickness - pocket depth - that we are talking about.

You are probably right, but I'd like to work with what I have...

#6 ·
You can, just buy the 25mm axle, spacers and bearings, and bolt it up. I spent more in machining than a new wheel would cost, but, back then, there was no alternative. There is now. The stock parts work perfectly together. Joe

#7 ·
S'what I mean. Buying the Harley parts means picking them up late January.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.