Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

2012 VRSCDX questions, rear seat removal, saddlebags and more.

11K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  Invictus-Vrod 
#1 ·
Hi there, I am new to harley which makes me new to V-Rod. I have a 2012 Nightrod special and am ready to start playing.. hehe.. but need some help. I am familiar with forums so I found a good one and am now looking to the community for some help. So first and foremost, HOW IN THE HELL DOES THE REAR SEAT COME OFF LOL. I must have spent the better part of 8 hours googling, and looking at bike and I am at a loss. Also as far as aftermarket saddlebags what do you all suggest? I have a set I picked up I think I like.. just cant get them on right. And I love the Harley ones but $700 OUCH.

TIA

#3 ·
you should buy a manual!!!:soapbox:

open the seat, like when you fuel it up.

remove the seat tether, note the bolt head next to it.

now remove the bolt (10mm socket)

now remove the spike ( I don't know the technical name ) 13mm socket or spanner.

then slide the seat and the plastic you just unbolted forward. the seat and the plastic is one piece. the strap stays behind.

#4 ·
Lol i have the owners manual but no where does it say how to do that. Where can i get one that would. And i thought they were but don't wanna go wrecking my new bike. Truly appreciate it though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

#7 ·
Another one does anyone have saddlebags on their Night Rod? These arent something I will use all the time but in certain situations will be handy.. as I live in ohio and it can go from 70 and sunny to 25 and snow in a matter of seconds lol. Looking for suggestions or maybe options other than harleys

#8 ·
I don't have saddle bags(I just couldn't do that to my NRS no matter how handy they are to have :D )

BUT, I do have a Solo bag that I got from leatherworks.com. A really nice leather bag that mounts on the left side and goes really well with the lines of the bike. Certainly not saddlebag size, but big enough to handle everything I need for a ride....

#10 ·
Hey Shayno.

Yes I have. Since it is mounted with leather straps, there is some movement. There are wear marks on the portion of the swingarm that it covers. But I have found the black on the NRS will mar and scratch just by looking at it the wrong way! Does not bother me though for a couple of reasons:

1. I don't plan on taking the solo back off(it's not really designed for quick off/on operation.
2. I can remove the surface scratches with my random orbital buffer if I decide to remove the solo bag. Plus, they are not at all visible with the bag mounted.

Well worth it to me for the storage I get with the bag.

#12 ·
Back when I bought my 2012 DX (Nov 2011), I looked around for some bags. I could not find any aftermarket ones that were made for the 12 DX. I also looked at the Harley ones and was very disappointed that they only have one set that are the soft nylon bags (they sell rigid bags for the 2012 Muscle), and aren't that big (1400 cu in for the DX soft bags vs 2950 cu in with the muscle rigid bags; knew that somewhat going in because of the pipes, but still...).

I went ahead and sprung for them, and they work so far, but sure would have liked to had some hard bags and bigger.

#13 ·
Question I don't mind the nylon or size...but are they quick detached or rigid mount? Also I spoke to someone at vmod today said they will be working on something for bag supports and a set of bags just not sure when they will have them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

#15 ·
I just installed the HD 2012 DX saddlebags. They are smaller than the previous vrsc bags. They can be removed pretty easily. You can remove the mounting hardware without removing the fender. You do have to remove the fender first time you install the mounting hardware. It is getting late I could take some pics if anyone wants to see.

#21 ·
no affense but if you didnt figure it out in 8 hours, you shouldnt be working on your bike. seat flips over, you pull the pin attached to the metal rope holding the seat. then theres one bolt to take off the front seat. then 2 bolts for the rear. take the 2 bolts off and pull the seat forward and out

#23 ·
No offense but you shouldn't attack someone like that... And again no offense but forums are about helping each other and after paying 16,000 for something I'm not going to risk breaking it on a whim. Thanks for your response though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

#26 ·
I have identical saddlebags on my DX. Not big by any means but enough for some tools, and even an under armour top if it chills off. Goggle case with spare lenses etc etc

Before those, I used to shove crap in between the back of the headlight shroud and the bars.

Var

#41 ·
I don't like the windshield but I think I will just have to put it on. I get tired from the wind after traveling 75+ mph for an hour or so. I had always had a windshield on my 09AW. HD should have designed a better windshield for the money we pay.

Sent from my eyePad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.