Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

V Rod Muscle turbo speeds?

37K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Raven714 
#1 ·
I'm wondering how fast a VRSCF would go with a turbo kit? I understand that the stock bike does 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in about 3.6 seconds. I'm not interested in outfitting my bike with turbo: 3.6 seconds is plenty fast for me, but I am curious about the performance numbers. Also, would a turbo kit ultimately shred the engine by getting it to perform at a level beyond its design?

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

#6 ·
Standard Trask kit is like 8psi.... however I've noticed that the boost is very temperature dependant..... on hot days it doesn't seem to get much past 6psi though.

#21 ·
I have a 2012 V Rod Mussel and at 150 I do not have the wobble however, I put my feet on the rear pegs and lean forward over the tank this may help.
I also have a 2002 GSXR 750 and found that at 170mph I had a wobble but corrected the problem by wearing a backpack. The aerodynamics allows the wind to go over the backpack and not the helmet, the wobble was from the wind hitting the helmet at high speeds.

#10 ·
Greg...
I have a 2009 VRSCWA and I am interested in the Trask kit. I would like to chat with you and get some info. Also, I live in Northern VA and could drive down to see an actual set up rather than photos.
Jean-Claude...

#11 ·
Troika,

I have a Trask turbo on my bike in South Riding, VA. Let me know when you would like to see it. I would have done this much sooner if I had been able to actually see and ride one (I had many questions and was just not sure it was something I could handle working on). Rod and the Killer Service Inc guys helped me with the install. I have since taken it off and on several times doing maintenance (Rod is all about showing you how to do it yourself).

#13 ·
Wait till you ride it. LMAO

Larry is a great guy and new member of KSI in Va.

Go get them Larry!!!!

#16 ·
Gears move the tire HP has nothing to do with the top speed that gear can spin a tire only how fast it can get there. Unless there are changes made to the gears a bike with more hp is still limited by the stock ratio for top speed. You'll get to the top speed faster but if you had two bikes both running at top speed if your bike has 200 hp a bike with 50 hp could catch you eventually if it has the gears to allow it.

#17 ·
In a vacuum and in frictionless environment this would be true, but if the bike is already struggling then adding HP would in fact increase its top speed. The Fd is directly proportional to velocity squared, so the faster you go the more drag is created and the more HP is required to overcome said drag.

So the 50HP bike may not ever reach its top speed because at those speeds the bikes does not have the power to overcome the effect of drag and reach its mechanical potential, where as the 200HP bike will not only get you there faster but has the power to overcome drag.

Add the effects of friction to drag and you have compounded this even further.

On the VRSC if the rider is a skinny stick then it does not matter but if you are packing some weight and feel like a drogue chute on the interstate at 70MPH then it is likely you will see an increase in top speed. Albeit not much.

#18 ·
Yes available top speed would increase if factors were keeping you from getting there. But a non turbo vrsc will have the same top speed. Our bikes already have the power to go faster but not the gearbox to let it. Putting a turbo on it will not raise top speed 9000 rpms is the same in any of our bikes unless you have changed final drive. The laws of physics don't change because you put a turbo on it.

#19 ·
True... the stuff people say here crack me up.

The top speed of my bike has not changed since the installation of the turbo... it just gets there faster. Seeing as in either form, it will reach the rev limiter, there will be no change in top speed.

If the bike couldn't reach the limiter in stock form, but can now with the turbo, then yes, the top speed will be higher. Not the case with a Vrod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.