Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Thinking about trading Road King for Vrod?

5K views 42 replies 26 participants last post by  Ernie82 
#1 ·
I've had my Road King for about 2 years and 12K miles. I really enjoy the RK and it's very comfortable for long rides, but it's also big and heavy and I've always wanted a Vrod so am thinking about trading in the RK for a Vrod. I really like the looks of the Vrod Muscle as well as the power and am interested in hearing opinions on its comfort?

I rented an older Vrod (VRSCA) a few years back for a weekend, put a few hundred miles on it and it fit me perfectly. Just not sure about the Muscle comfort wise so might have to see about renting one of those to make sure it fits right. I would definitely get a windshield for highway cruising and would have to get some luggage/bags to carry my stuff for the occasional overnight trips. I won't be doing any two up riding though and definitely have a need for speed.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

#3 ·
I think it would depend on your size/build. I'm 6"2" with longish arms (34 in a dress shirt) with a 34" inseam and the Muscle fits me perfect. I don't have to reach for the bar so no riser needed. I put a Fly Screen on mine and it knocks just enough wind off my chest so highway cruising is easier. Having said all that, I live on an island so I can't really comment on how comfortable it would be on a long cruise. But I think it would be fine.

The speed and acceleration is what hooked me on this bike. It's not exactly a sport bike (too heavy, limited lean angles), but still sporty enough to put a smile on my face every time I ride it-and its stock for now.

#4 ·
love my Muscle .... DO IT BRO !!!!

#5 ·
I had a '07 Road King, like you said heavy, but for me it was slow. My group of Harley riders would leave me in the dust when we would accelerate hard. Sold it and bought a '09 VRSCAW...now, I enjoy fresh air and hard acceleration.

I've done the usual...stage 1 upgrades, along with floorboards. And dropping front and back 1". Most comfortable mod was the floorboards...it fit easily around my V&H 2 into1 comp pipe, with minimal amount of grinding to clear the front pipe.

Love this bike, agile, light, and quick. :dance:

#7 ·
tI traded my 2009 VRSCAW for a 2010 Road King in 2010. Had that RK 18 months - missed the V Rod from the day I traded it in. Eighteen months later I traded my 2010 RK in on my
09 VRSCAW (that the dealer never sold). My V Rod had 10200 miles on it when I traded it in and had the same mileage when I got it back.....Riding is so much more fun now.

The VRSCA/W line was the most comfy for me. I tried a Muscle but it just was not as comfy as the AW. I'm 6'1" 32" inseam. 34" sleeve. AW fits me perfect - I do not have to "reach" for the bars they are right where I needed them to be. I do not know why HD discontinued the AW - but they are my favorite.

Your right about the RK they are heavy, underpowered, run hot, and are slow - But they are "somewhat comfortable"

I don't miss that RK at all. Good luck - any VRod you choose will be a good choice.

#8 ·
As you are well aware these are two completely different bikes. They both do some things well and other things not so good. If you ride two up very often and have a tall sweetie as a passenger, V-RODs IMHO don't work very well. If you do most of your riding one up, then V-RODs are great and I like mine for distance tours (one up). I had to break down and add an Ultra to my stable to appease the squeeze for two up riding. I love both of the bikes and can't imagine giving up either one sans emergency. Good luck with whatever you decide.

#9 ·
You asked your question on a VRod forum, so 1. Answers will be biased toward the VRod and B. your on the VRod forum so it looks like you are leaning that way too. It's all personal preferences, but I would pull the trigger on this of I was you.

#11 ·
Don't do it, you'll regret giving up the comfy ride and fuel economy. Reverse psychology works. The Road King gets 50 mpg, compared to Muscles 37 mpg(if lucky).

#12 ·
Just rode my NRS 200 miles - including 90 miles in pissing rain - to Daytona at night (with full-face helmet). Bike tracked well and was very comfortable. Really, I didn't even think about the RK.
My lady (who runs a CVO FATBOY) rode it home - and liked it, though at 5-foot-3 she'd like the pegs in a different place.
She took the NRS home because I crashed my race bike on the infield at Daytona International Speedway, was knocked out cold - and screwed up my left knee.
Oops!

#14 ·
I had baggers for years. I even turned a VRSCR into a roadrod. An RK is fun and comfy. The Vrod is lighter, faster, quicker, and more agile. SUCKS for a passenger. If you ride solo, it is a no-brainer. Get the Vrod. If you go slow, with a passenger, and don't mind the weight, keep the RK. Everybody is different, so get what fits you. Joe

#17 ·
About the only thing I could add (other than all the good comments already posted) is, as someone who rides both as a passenger and ride my own ... the RK bags rub the back of the calf muscle of your passenger so not all the comfy, but the V-Rod family ... one up bikes for sure unless you’re only going out for ice cream.

#18 ·
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I went to the dealer yesterday and worked out a decent trade in deal on my RK and a good price on a new V-Rod. Unfortunately after the test ride I quickly realized that the V-Rod just isn't for me because my lower back was already causing me pain after only 20 minutes on the bike. If not for the lower back pain I would have bought the bike, it was light, handled well and had great power throughout the gears. I considered if risers and reach handle bars would help, but am hesitant to purchase a bike that just doesn't fit me from the start and then having to spend money for comfort upgrades that I don't know will even work for me. So, I'm keeping the RK for now.

#19 ·
The v-rod come with possibly the most uncomfortable seat ever. I have back problems and my seat is gonna be redone with gel inserts and foam to take some of the jolt out of the ride. I've done 500 miles a day or more with it. I moved the rear pegs lower to help my passenger. The v-rod is the Corvette of the HD line. The rk is in the Cadillac line of bikes. The 12 models do have a shorter reach to the bars and pegs. But the seat is a big deal breaker for alot of people with the v-rod.

#22 ·
OP I understand your concern... The first V that I considered buying was the Muscle. Absolutely loved the look of the bike, but after years of riding in an upright position I didn't feel comfortable (lower back). It just wasn't for me.

However, while I was there I tested out the VRSCAW and it felt perfect...for me. Best Harley I've ever owned. Many of the V models have a similar, more upright, riding position. I'd suggest you keep looking for the right one...

#24 ·
:them:

I can't stand the riding position of the muscle, but my VRSCSE fits me like a glove. The width of frame, position of controls, and reach to bars are different on different model years.

#32 ·
Parades are a no no for an air-cooled bike. I ride in them but I live in a small town and our parades aren't very long. I honestly think you can't go wrong with either bike but if you decide on a road king I think that HD has put a radio on them now so you can have tunes with your ride. The 103 is a good motor with OK power for an air-cooled one. I rode my uncle's ultra classic with a 80inch evo and I didn't think the thing had enough power to pull itself out of the driveway but it did. It was the weakest bike I was ever on. My vrod stays with it and I never get above 4,000 rpms unless we get on the interstate but I just stay close and let him lead so I don't runoff and leave him.

#33 ·
Parades are a no no for an air-cooled bike. I ride in them but I live in a small town and our parades aren't very long.
You've got to be kidding.

I don't know how you can say an air-cooled is a no-no. That's utterly ridiculous. HD's perform daily service in police duty in stop-n-go traffic day in and day out around the country. Part of Harley's durability testing is based around parade duty, because they do it all the time.

The only problem I ever had with my bikes was the voltage regulator overheating because we were idling around and doing low speed stuff all day long with all the lights running. The bikes never overheated in my 12 years of riding them.

#34 ·
:them:

Big Twins have been used for parade duty for decades.

#37 ·
Update! I ended up trading my Road King for a new 2013 Wide Glide. The 103 engine combined with about 150 less pounds than my RK gives me plenty of get up and go and still pretty comfortable for longer rides. I might still get a V-Rod some day, but it just wasn't in the cards this time around. Thanks again for all the advice.

Here's the new WG if anyone wants to see her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.