Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

What did you do to your V-Rod today

1M views 8K replies 930 participants last post by  2003 VRod Rider 
#1 ·
I noticed we didn't have one of these, and figured I'd make one. I mod on some car forums, and they are usually pretty interesting topics.

So did you mod, maintain, fix something?

Today
- I changed and bled the rear brakes (now its very very stiff hmmm)
- Relocated the rear signal to the shock mounts using a kit (required pulling the shock tops, rear fender, under-fender, cutting the under fender, and extending the wires)
- Installed the side-mount from Killervrod.... had to cut my plate smaller, but looks good. I didn't install the LED yet.
- Removed the Screaming Chicken exhaust and packed them up, getting TAB's this week

#3,678 ·
Jacked it up just in case it decides to fawkin flood! :(

#3,680 ·
Had a fibreglass front fender delivered and I trimmed it for that sportier look. All rubbed down and primed ready for paint.

#3,681 ·
Did some homemade dynamat on the inside of the air box cover

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

#3,682 ·
Homemade??? Pic please

#3,698 ·
A truly magnificent ride. I did it with a group of guys last week, only we did Overton instead of Valley of Fire. Next time you do it, include breakfast at The Coffee Cup in Boulder City. They have the best pork chili verde omelet ever.

Jimmy

#3,700 ·
Today I went to Dunkin' Donuts.

...I just happened to decide on one that was 50 miles away. :)

#3,701 ·
Not today, but yesterday... swapped out to an A headlight setup:

But, I couldn't get the headlight to keep from jiggling around with the visor on, so removed the visor and then everything stayed tight. Think I like it better without the visor:

Took it out for about 100 mile test ride, beautiful fall day here. Now it's time for new tires. My front tread is down to the wear bars on the left side.

#3,709 ·
Almost traded it for a new Switchback! Still might do it if I can get the deal I want.

Rode the Switchback about 20 miles yesterday and was surprised that it runs better than I expected. Engine wise it felt great till the rev limiter shuts it down when it started feeling real good. In first gear the limiter comes on so soon it's freaky! Once I got used to that in all the other gears it pulls real good and didn't feel like a slug the way I expected it would, nothing like a Vrod performance wise though. It also rode a little rougher than I expected, but if I added a tallboy seat to it it would be very comfortable for me and that's what I'm after now. The one I tried was red with chrome wheels and it looked very good. The chrome wheels are running the price up beyond where I want it and the dealer is not "dealing" at all. I'm going to make them one more offer. If that doesn't work then it's off to see if another dealer will work with me.

:hidesbeh:

#3,710 ·
I read this review of the Switchback.
http://www.aimag.com/wordpress/2011/12/2012-h-d-fld-dyna-switchback-motorcycle-review/
Seems pretty good for the guy who might only do a weekend Rally here and there and also uses it for the commute to work. Superb gas mileage... Seems high on the price as you know you will have to do some mods. ANY V-ROD should trade straight across and they should upgrade the pipes and tuner on the Switchback.

#3,719 ·
That is supposed to be a "new" model?

#3,721 ·
It's just like most everything else the MOCO makes these days. It's just a mix and match of off the shelf parts and they put some new name on it.

I like it because I don't want all the gee gaws and electronics that come on the Street Glide and Road Glide, And, when you remove the saddlebags it doesn't look like something is missing as it does if you take them off the Street or Road Glide models. The same thing could be accomplished with a Dyna Glide with forward controls and add the detacthable bags but I will just go with the "Switchback" if we can get together on the deal.

It's a shame the Vrods are so limited in models so parts could be mixed and matched to come up with a suitable touring bike.

#3,726 ·
Took my beloved 2012 back to the stealership as after 4 months the black coating on my engine had started to oxidise. was told it looked like salt damage. They started to salt the roads 3 days ago, bikes been in the garage for 1 1/2 months. Methinks its a pretty poor finish. Ordered some p100 to hopefully shift it GRRRRRRR!!!! Its only done 2700 miles it shouldn't **** up this soon I know......

#3,728 ·
I went to get the bike inspected, but discovered cord showing on the rear tire. Guess it's time for the dealer to come and replace the 18th rear tire. Think the front needs replacing as well. I've only been through 10 of those.

#3,738 ·
Installed my new Chrome Arnotts. Fitted the compressor next the Motohooligan Airbox, came out pretty sweet. Took a bracket, drilled out an 8mm hole, bent it fairly straight, mounted it to the post that the Horn/Actuator switch are mounted on.

Now, time to take her out for nice lazy ride.. :)

Attachments

#3,742 ·
If you're like me, you never question if it's worth it. I'll ride no matter what. It's all about adjusting your defensive riding style while around traffic. I am ultra defensive when it comes to riding in the city/suburbs. If i encounter an unsafe driver, say someone who isn't paying attention and almost kills me as in your instance, I simply try and increase their level of awareness for the future... This usually consists of scaring the shit out of them in one of many ways, but it can save someone's life down the road...

#3,744 ·
I suppose it would be more polite to hand them flowers next time and ask them to please be more careful, but something tells me that won't be as effective. ;)

I'd rather be despised by a more aware motorist, than be killed by one that respects bikers but was too distracted to look out for one.

A few years ago a buddy of mine was clipped by a woman at a busy intersection who made a right on red and was flat out in la-la land. He wobbled, but kept it up. When she caught up to him at the next light she didn't even akbowledge that she hit him, probably a combination of embarrassment and fear of not knowing how to react. He reached over and smacked her mirror off. Now she might hate bikers because of that but 1) she's lucky she didn't kill him and 2) I bet she will always look left before turning there in the future. That new-found mindset may just save another riders life...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.