30T Sprocket - Personal Experience - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #1
bcarpman
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
30T Sprocket - Personal Experience

I know this is going to fly in the face of everything I've read here, but I thought I'd share my experience.

I bought my bike (2004 with 1250 SE upgrade, SEII cams, 58mm throttle, V&H 2-1) with a 28t already installed. I've never been happy with the bike. It just always seemed to be geared too short. I'm completely with the crowd that thinks this bike needs a 6th gear or higher 5th.

Since it's just a quick sprocket change, I decided to try a 30t. Much to my surprise, I now understand why that's the size harley chose from the start (and stayed with in Europe). I find the bike to be MUCH more "usable" with the 30t. It's just a world nicer to ride. I now feel like I'm in the right gear when cruising. A subtle change but significant in the real world.

Is it slower? Who knows. It's still faster than my buddies Street Glide, still slower than my Honda and I can still roast the rear tire from a stop. I've not stalled it once or felt i was at risk for stalling.

Just personal preference, so not putting down the other opinions posted on this board. We all like what we like. I just wanted to post this for anyone who finds themselves in the situation I was in.
bcarpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
Aton
Registered Full

I've been wondering about this.

It could use a 6th gear or a taller gear ratio in 5th. To me 4th and 5th are so similar.

But doing it at the sprocket has got to rob some power out of them all.

U don't notice a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
mike_w
"Meanie"

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The 30T sprocket is a very good way to go for the highway. I still have that on my '02 and it gives me way better gas mileage too. My other two are set up with chain drives and are straight city (light to light) rides. If I was too start riding the two with the chains on the freeway, I would be changing the rear sprocket to a smaller one in a heart beat.

You know they are just like potato chips, you can't have just one.
mike_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
polbit
Registered Full

This bike needs the 6th gear like my son needs another Lego set.

5th is absolute perfection on US highways, unless you ride at 100PMH for long periods of time. Increasing the start of powerband (5K RPM) in 5th from 80MPH to 87MPH AND making it more sluggish off the line?

That's what the Honda Shadow is for.
'16 Camaro 2SS Garnet Red Tincoat
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 6 reviews

"Nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently motivated fool."

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just don’t give a shit.”

H-D Heathen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
stomper
REVOLUTION !!!

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I enjoy my 30t once I am rolling along but don't care for the slow winding up in First gear and slipping the clutch to get started especially when 2 up. Love the 26t for stoplight to stoplight action.
stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
bogie
VRSCF

Garage
Im in the UK (still part of Europe) and we get the 30t as standard. The best upgrade I ever did was fit the 28t. It feels perfect for the engine and my riding style

....everything is relative I guess !
Old 03-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogie View Post
Im in the UK (still part of Europe) and we get the 30t as standard. The best upgrade I ever did was fit the 28t. It feels perfect for the engine and my riding style

....everything is relative I guess !
Countdown. Welcome to the "other" side!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #9
pfbmgd
Registered Full

Are the US bikes 28 on the back ? Where can I get a 30 size sprocket and belt ?
Topless
Avon tires
Progressive springs front
Progressive 444 rear
pfbmgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #10
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Early US models were 30 tooth FRONT sprockets. By 2005 (?) they were 28 tooth.

Rear sprockets are 72 tooth.

"Nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently motivated fool."

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just don’t give a shit.”

H-D Heathen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #11
stomper
REVOLUTION !!!

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbmgd View Post
Are the US bikes 28 on the back ? Where can I get a 30 size sprocket and belt ?
What year is your bike? International models came with a 30t sprockets as my 2003 has one
stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #12
Cabeca de Ferro
Cabeca de Ferro

Don't forget to adjust the speedometer ratio.Mine is an 06 with 30T ,when I have installed the T Max it cames with the US speedo ratio.On a trip of 1200 miles my speedometer has shown me only 1000 miles run.
Cabeca de Ferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #13
streetrodracer
Registered Full

30 tooth or 66-68 tooth or chain & sprockets here I come !

All I can say is yea, I'm tired of shifting into 5th again. My 900cc 3 Cylinder 5 speed Triumph had the same issue, I just got a back sprocket with 3 or 4 teeth less, shortened the chain - it took the bite out of the RPM at 75 but the engine was still ready to pounce for a pass - was it a 6th gear ? no, but for $ 65 who cares - it fixed the problem. The V Rod has a relatively large amount of weight to get going, and a relatively close 4th and 5th gear, I'm sure designed for 1/4 mile trap speed and RPM. The 30 tooth would probably be perfect for me - and don't forget it allows better use of the torque on tap rather than revving out prematurely in each gear, and top gear. I love my R model but it's really an issue of urban bike vs longer trip bike. Identify your mission, gear appropriately. Even with a 28/72 tooth I figure my bike is good for 140+ MPH, from 70 MPH to 110 MPH + 2 up happens PDQ, so its about lowering RPM and increasing mileage on longer trips. Why someone does not make a 66 or 68 tooth rear pulley is beyond me - that back pulley is too large in diameter, blocks the view of the wheel, weighs like a 10 lb boat anchor. I guess the fix is fit a chain and sprockets with the right ratio, $ 550. Oh, and a can of chain wax $ 12, and spray every 200 miles. Oh and clean off all the chain lube spitzle - 2 hours every 200 miles. Or just fit a 30 tooth, call it good.
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:48 AM   #14
TwinOaks
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by polbit View Post
This bike needs the 6th gear like my son needs another Lego set.5th is absolute perfection on US highways, unless you ride at 100PMH for long periods of time. Increasing the start of powerband (5K RPM) in 5th from 80MPH to 87MPH AND making it more sluggish off the line?
I think people just like to shift or are used to having a sixth gear. Personally the gear-box is perfect for a multitude of scenarios with the 28. From street to track.
The OP has engine upgrades and possibly that affords the bigger gear. However the 30 is tall for city riding and will cost you in the 1/4 mile and light to light action. 2-up with a 30 has to be a pig.

There are dozens of threads and posts here that well document the 7% change from 30 to 28, 28 to 26 and visa-verse, a 6th gear would do similar retaining the ratio. 7% is roughly 500 rpm's. Hardly worth the effort.
TwinOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #15
JJrod
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabeca de Ferro View Post
Don't forget to adjust the speedometer ratio.Mine is an 06 with 30T ,when I have installed the T Max it cames with the US speedo ratio.On a trip of 1200 miles my speedometer has shown me only 1000 miles run.
You can adjust speedo in the T Max software
JJrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement