Wind Buffeting - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Baggers
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
2003Vee-Rod
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wind Buffeting

Installed the HD 25" tall windshield to my 2003 VRSA. Solid mounting system and easy on/off the bike. However, at speeds over 30mph, I'm getting a lot of wind buffeting my helmet. Seems better if I raise higher above the shield or crouch lower in the saddle. In normal riding position, I am looking aprox 2-3" above the top of the shield. Is the windshield too high? Anyway to cut it down to say 23"? Have used a Laminar Lip on BMW's with success to resolve the same problem, but don't like the looks. Any/all help is appreciated.
2003Vee-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Hoffa65
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I have same issue read that it the angle if forks. Im giving to fab a bracket for the top shield to clamp mounts to decrease angle of glass. Have read it helps

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Hoffa65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
2003Vee-Rod
Registered Full

Makes sense. If you fab a set and it works, I'd be happy to buy a set of brackets from you. Seriously.
2003Vee-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
joebedford
Mongo

I had a SuperSport shield and I was getting terrible buffeting. I installed the small touring shield (23") and the buffeting is gone. I'm 6'4"
Old 03-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #5
Scubadvr01
Registered Full

@ joebedford. What is the SS shield compared to what you are referring to. Sorry for the years difference. Just got an 03 Rod A 7000 miles for $5K. New to Harley. Bought a used SS shield and installed but have not ridden yet. Still can't make up it's mind on weather here in Maryland so it's snowing outside as I type. Would tilting the shield one way or the other (seen upper longer rods advertised) make a difference. I'm 6'1" myself.

Scubadvr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:26 AM   #6
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

You are suffering a common issue with all windscreens designed for looks over performance. You have three options:

1. Live with it, it looks cool.

2. Raise and lower the shield such that the buffeting is minimized. With this windshield style it can never be completely eliminated, you just place the turbulent air where it bounces off your helmet the least.

3. Install a proper laminar flow windshield. What are commonly referred to al laminar flow windshields take advantage of what is know as the "coanda effect". They allow air to travel up the back side of the windscreen such that when it meets the high pressure flow coming off the top of the windscreen it forms a more laminar flow and reduces the swirling air that causes buffeting. The ones that to it well allow air in at the base of the windscreen and assist the coanda effect by directing it up the back side of the screen. Devices that attach to the top of the windscreen are more a Band-Aid attempting to give the same effect but usually without adequate space to do it well. If you go to a non-HD dealer, you'll see that many new bikes use this technology. I even use it on my 65 Cobra race screen. On the Cobra, no screen height adjustment will stop the buffeting and resulting drag using a standard screen. Here are some pics.

Notice the openings at the base of the screen in the center of the windshield assembly.

Here are Kevlar tufts attached to the inside and outside of the screen.

This is with about 65mph air speed. Note the laminar flow. Without the air coming up the back side, the air on the face of the screen would immediately turn in and start swirling.

mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Excellent write up & demo. Looks like the vents at bottom are about 1" high and centered in front of the driver position. That would be easier to add to my Bob Dron fairing than a laminar lip at the top & seems it would be less drag. Is there a carbon fiber ridge behind the lower vents? Thanks
swampboogiedoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

It's easier to see the shape with the mold plug. The actual carbon part weighs about 6oz. The challenge of modifying an HD screen would be turning the air up the back side and the acute angle most mountings have against airflow. A laminar flow screen laid back is far more effective than a big plate standing near straight up.

In the case of the car screen, the extreme high pressure area at the base allows for smaller openings than would be needed on a bike.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
Scubadvr01
Registered Full

Sounds like I'm screwed... I either pay $40.00 for mount extenders or try to find the lower deflectors? Mo money, Mo money, Mo money....
Scubadvr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #10
biker bob
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003Vee-Rod View Post
Installed the HD 25" tall windshield to my 2003 VRSA. Solid mounting system and easy on/off the bike. However, at speeds over 30mph, I'm getting a lot of wind buffeting my helmet. Seems better if I raise higher above the shield or crouch lower in the saddle. In normal riding position, I am looking aprox 2-3" above the top of the shield. Is the windshield too high? Anyway to cut it down to say 23"? Have used a Laminar Lip on BMW's with success to resolve the same problem, but don't like the looks. Any/all help is appreciated.
It is easy to cut a windshield down I did it on my other bike and 3 or 4 time's for my friend's
What I do is take some narrow pin stripe tape and put it on the wind shield where you want it to be cut at that way you can sit on the bike and see if it is where you want it .Then I take a marker with a fine point and go around the edge of the tape so if the tape move's you still have the mark to cut on
leave the tape on and then take and put some masking tape on the wind shield so when you cut it the bottom of the saw wont rub on it. I use a scroll saw with a metal cutting blade about a medium tooth in it'.I have found out if you keep it on high speed and go slow it work's better for me. when you are done cutting take tape off .What I do then is take a coarse file and go over where I cut then a finer file then some time's I take 200 grit sand paper on a flat block and go over it You can have it looking like it was made that size.
biker bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Mike, thanks for the picture, it really helps.The B Dron fairing has an edge that the wind screen mounts to. I can use some small nylon spacers to stand the polycarbonate off from the fairing and then cut a few small reliefs at the bottom in front and can add small extensions to the backside of the fairing it I need more rear deflection.
swampboogiedoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #12
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

If you are careful about it that could work. Any air flowing up the back side of the screen will increase the size of the stable air envelope. The more air you move up the back the bigger the envelope will be, to a point.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #13
streetrodracer
Registered Full

Where is the Wind Whisperer ?

The relative wind should either be going above your head with a tall windshield and/or a riser and you are sitting in a quell behind it or its hitting you smoothly in the top half of your helmet, which stabilizes your head. Due to prior M/C racing damage neck repairs I can no longer handle ANY head burble/buffeting. I have the sport screen ( 18" above the headlight in the middle ) and if you play around with the mount brackets like I did my windshield is about 2 degrees less than the fork rake - from the side its virtually the same visual angle. At this angle adjustment I have gone triple digit speeds with no issues. Prior I was ready to rip off the w/shield and throw it in the dumpster. The angle and height of the wind screen is the secret along with how far aft from the top of it your head is. Play with it, you can find that sweet spot, I did and I am one big a$$ fussy customer. Bear in mind this is an R model with higher '07 bars that puts your head closer to the top of the windscreen, but you get the idea.
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #14
rbabos
Registered Full

You can hack and slash and buy shields until you are blue in the face. Unless you address the upflow from the front of the air box (next to impossible on these bikes) the buffeting will continue. Buffeting is from the shield creating a low pressure area behind the shield. To equalize this pressure air is sucked up from under. This is not a smooth transition, more of an irregular pulse that shakes your head. It also makes a lot of noise at the same time. I gave up long ago and went ff. Nice smooth air.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #15
streetrodracer
Registered Full

Short Shield, angled back & a Full Face = success.

To clarify my windshield upper edge is about the same height as my adams apple. My entire helmet is higher than it sitting still, and as speed increases the air impact on my full face helmet moves higher but its always in the wind about 50%, and very smooth. Yes, I get bugs on my face shield. There are two fingers width of air gap above my round LED headlight shell that may help a little but I have the upper trailing edge leaning back a few degrees more than the fork angle, this helps with the way the air is coming off the windshield, and is smoother. ( The more upright the angle, the worse the helmet buffeting ) This setup takes air pressure off your chest, gives you the ability to duck behind it if you need to but it's short, looks great and most of all NO helmet buffeting and no NACA scoops required. An open 3/4 helmet will catch the air and rattle your head, shelved mine when I got this Streetrod. I would not even try to put a tall windshield on this bike for many reasons - looks, triple digit speeds, wind steering, not a touring bike etc.
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement