Stock R lean angle - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCR
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-30-2016, 05:23 AM   #1
Mossimo70
Registered Full

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock R lean angle

Hey fellow R riders,

I've been rocking the R for several months now and have started pushing through the corners a little harder lately. For a 600lb bike it has held rock solid in the corners through whatever I've thrown at it.

I still have chicken strips on the edge of my tires, but much less (1/2") on the rear than the front tires (~1"). Haven't felt any peg grinding.

Mine is stock down low, except for slip-on supertrapps. Most cruisers I've ridden will scrub the pegs long before you run out of tire. It doesn't feel like the VRSCR pegs will ever scrub the pegs until it lays down outright. I really don't want to find out the hard way!

Anyone with experience that knows the limits of the R lean angle and what to expect in extreme cornering?
Mossimo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2016, 06:26 AM   #2
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

Expect it to remain rock solid. With a stock suspension, you will use right up to the edge of the rear tire and keep a little chicken stripe on the front.

New avon cobra

After day one in the mountains

Day two

Day three

Day eight

mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
-alan-
Registered Full

^ You prefer left-handers by the looks of things Mike

Funny thing, the vast majority of the road-bikes here usually show the signs of hard cornering through right-handers rather than the left - scraped footrests/tortured tyre edges etc. We must all tend to feel a bit more comfortable winding it on when the apex is in the middle of the 2 lanes, rather than tight into the ditch (or kerb as you guys have it).

Old 06-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #4
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by -alan- View Post
^ You prefer left-handers by the looks of things Mike

Funny thing, the vast majority of the road-bikes here usually show the signs of hard cornering through right-handers rather than the left - scraped footrests/tortured tyre edges etc. We must all tend to feel a bit more comfortable winding it on when the apex is in the middle of the 2 lanes, rather than tight into the ditch (or kerb as you guys have it).
For me it's all about overdriving what I can see. In the mountains, you can see further around left handers and therefor carry a lot more speed safely. You can't tell looking at the photos, but I put more wear on the left from speed but the right gets more tread lipping from accelerating out of the corner harder when I can see down the road.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:59 PM   #5
Mossimo70
Registered Full

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
Expect it to remain rock solid. With a stock suspension, you will use right up to the edge of the rear tire and keep a little chicken stripe on the front.
Ah! Thanks for the info. I pushed a little harder into the twisties on the way home today and felt the tip of my boots in the road. The bike felt fine. I'll run this way for a while on ideal days and see how my tires wear.

For a 600lb bike, the R sure responds!
Mossimo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #6
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossimo70 View Post
Ah! Thanks for the info. I pushed a little harder into the twisties on the way home today and felt the tip of my boots in the road. The bike felt fine. I'll run this way for a while on ideal days and see how my tires wear.

For a 600lb bike, the R sure responds!
The more you ride it, the better you will understand why even ex racers love it in the corners. Its rock steady and the limitations are just about perfect for sane road speeds. Even on a sport bike I don't go any faster on the street and it's so steady you could about take a nap at full lean.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
Tassie Tony
X Diavel S Advocate

How long does a front last you? Some riding styles favour one end or the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sofa King

Dr Phil double episode attendee

Shock bolt/oil cooler hose rubbing on brake line whistleblower
Tassie Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #8
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

Front usually has a bit left, but not enough to do two rears. I like the Cobras, but once you start leaning they start wearing away quickly. Not surprising when considering just how much weight they are moving around the corner.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:34 AM   #9
streetrodracer
Registered Full

hey mikeinatlanta, I've got the Exedra 180/55ZR tire and it also wears on the left side, I only get up to your mountains once a year so its not all that. I believe it is a combo of what you said plus the built in crown in the road is 3/4s of it and riders leaning left slightly to offset exhaust weight 1/4 of it. Also feathering on the right side looks like more braking than acceleration on that side. My Triumph with smoother 3 cylinder power pulses, a muffler on each side and Cobra tire has much less left side wear, rt. feathering.
I believe the Cobra is one rubber compound with AVD variable belts to help cornering traction. The Exedra is two rubber compounds with the same belts I think. What tires have you run to compare and do you run a 200 on the stock wheel ? Yes, the " R " stands for "Rocks " Thanks !
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

No doubt road crown accounts for most wearing on the left for the straight up guys, but I carry a whole lot more speed left as well. One too many collar bones and I pretty much gave up on trail braking (racing days), plus I don't use rear brake when playing in the corners, so it's no doubt acceleration lipping you are seeing. I tend to keep speeds low on the straights and just carry it all in the corners, so I don't ever lip the front from braking either.

Tires are stock sizes. I wouldn't run a 200 unless I also mounted a correct wheel width to run one.

I actually drag more on the right, but I think it has more to do with inconsistent lines and driving out. With greater visibility, left tends to be more smooth with more time right at the edge of dragging. Right is go slow and as soon as I can see, get on the gas and lay it down.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
Katchme
Registered Full

where in ny are you from/?
Katchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:45 AM   #12
HogNot
Registered Full

I know this post is old, but...........

Mike, I just purchased my R, and I am wondering about the age of my tires. Were the Avon Cobra tires what came on the R originally?
Also, what pipes/pipe are you running, as I don't want to lose any ground clearance? One last ?, are you running the stock handlebars, and do you use a riser? The bars get a little tiring at non highway speeds from what I am used to, or do you build muscle eventually that makes that go away. I am not a fat guy, and I'm in pretty decent shape, but I am getting older now, and some arm strength is definitely going away. Thanks in advance.: cheers:
Mark
2006 Street Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
No doubt road crown accounts for most wearing on the left for the straight up guys, but I carry a whole lot more speed left as well. One too many collar bones and I pretty much gave up on trail braking (racing days), plus I don't use rear brake when playing in the corners, so it's no doubt acceleration lipping you are seeing. I tend to keep speeds low on the straights and just carry it all in the corners, so I don't ever lip the front from braking either.

Tires are stock sizes. I wouldn't run a 200 unless I also mounted a correct wheel width to run one.

I actually drag more on the right, but I think it has more to do with inconsistent lines and driving out. With greater visibility, left tends to be more smooth with more time right at the edge of dragging. Right is go slow and as soon as I can see, get on the gas and lay it down.
HogNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #13
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogNot View Post
Mike, I just purchased my R, and I am wondering about the age of my tires. Were the Avon Cobra tires what came on the R originally?
Also, what pipes/pipe are you running, as I don't want to lose any ground clearance? One last ?, are you running the stock handlebars, and do you use a riser? The bars get a little tiring at non highway speeds from what I am used to, or do you build muscle eventually that makes that go away. I am not a fat guy, and I'm in pretty decent shape, but I am getting older now, and some arm strength is definitely going away. Thanks in advance.: cheers:
Mark
2006 Street Rod
Bike came stock with Dunlops.
Your Cobras have a date code and Google can help you decipher.
Pipe is custom built by me. If I were to buy a pipe for the R it would be the Akrapovic hands down.
You can't fit a bar riser on the R. You can install the slightly taller 07 model bar, but that will require new front brake lines and clutch line unless you want to risk misrouting it.
On the highway I start hurting a bit at two hours and it gets real uncomfortable at four. With an open face helmet it is unbearable. In the mountains it is like a high speed couch. age-55
Old 04-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #14
streetrodracer
Registered Full

Hey HogNot I installed the '07 black bars after reading about them here on the site. Work great, only needed the longer '07 front brake line not the clutch line. About $ 300 for both bars and line so not cheap but gives more comfort, higher, wider, more pullback, still has the R look of lower racing bars. I'm with Mike no more open face, went to a Shoei Neotec Modular and the sport windshield good combo. Use the search function in the R section of the forum for handlebars or whatever you want real good info available from real knowlegable guys going back 10 years +
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement