2006 VRSCR Street rod leaking oil? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Red007
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 2006 VRSCR Street rod leaking oil?

Hi guys, i could use some expert advice from our legends in this forum..

I rode my bike yesterday, put about a hundred miles on it cruising around town. Bought the bike around two weeks ago with 3800 miles on, It wasn't ridden in 8 months till I got it. When I got home I saw a little oil splash on the right rear side, against the fuel tank. It started smoking slightly too, I believe the oil dripping on the engin block burned. However I think it is leaking from the left rear side of the V-cylinder/engin.

It might be over filled with oil, I'll be checking the oil again once the bike cool down. Man, I hope it is not too serious. I saw the following error codes sent from the on board computer: R75,R76,R77. But no engin or oil indicator lights on??

Please see my photos on the location of the leak.. I believe it is correct.
I would like to talk to a few of you guys before I take it to the "stealership".

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo zoom.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	473.0 KB
ID:	187017   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo zoom2.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	187020  
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
SvFiat
Kidzap

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red007 View Post
Hi guys, i could use some expert advice from our legends in this forum..

I rode my bike yesterday, put about a hundred miles on it cruising around town. Bought the bike around two weeks ago with 3800 miles on, It wasn't ridden in 8 months till I got it. When I got home I saw a little oil splash on the right rear side, against the fuel tank. It started smoking slightly too, I believe the oil dripping on the engin block burned. However I think it is leaking from the left rear side of the V-cylinder/engin.

It might be over filled with oil, I'll be checking the oil again once the bike cool down. Man, I hope it is not too serious. I saw the following error codes sent from the on board computer: R75,R76,R77. But no engin or oil indicator lights on??

Please see my photos on the location of the leak.. I believe it is correct.
I would like to talk to a few of you guys before I take it to the "stealership".

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
The breather hoses are notorious for cracking and leaking. An overfill will result in oil showing up on that area as well. Finally you always check the oil level hot on a Vrod.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SvFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Red007
Registered Full

Thumbs up

I ended up checking the torque on the socket bolts, a couple of them were fairly loose. I tightened it and applied lockite to the leaking bolt. It cleared up most of the leaking although it is still slightly wet (barely see it) around the miter..

Old 03-24-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
BishopDelicious
Registered Full

Identical issue (06 VRSCR).. sorry dredging up an ancient post, but those pictures might as well have been from my bike. Did you ever get a firm solution? Same exact thing, welling at the back left .. now that I'm riding it harder I got a little drip and smoke when I was pulling in from a ride. Any help would be massively appreciated. Thx guys.
BishopDelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:58 AM   #5
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

About 95% plus it's the breather hoses. Always check there first.
mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 6 reviews

"Nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently motivated fool."

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just don’t give a shit.”

H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
BishopDelicious
Registered Full

Awesome, thanks for the quick replies. Not psyched about it but at least I know where to start (and hopefully stop) the diagnosis. I'm under warranty so hopefully they take care of it.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
Red007
Registered Full

Yeah, just replace the breather hose. It will clear up the issue. If you inspect it, bend the hose slightly and you should easily spot the cracks in the hose. I replaced mine and it sorted the leak out. Harley looked at it about 4 times- $1500 later and never found the issue..
Glad there are some wise, seasoned rod riders here to point out typical issues/solutions.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #9
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red007 View Post
Yeah, just replace the breather hose. I will clear up the issue. If you inspect it, bend the hose slighlty and you should easily spot the cracks in the hose. I replaced mine and it sorted the leak out. Harley looked at about 4 times- $1500 later and never found the issue..
Glad there are some wise, seasoned rod riders here to point out typical issues/solutions.
Alternatively, you can take to the dealer with perfect hoses and get it back with a leak due to not being installed correctly. Not sure if they suck that bad on purpose or really are that stupid.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
BishopDelicious
Registered Full

Geez! Thanks guys, that's exactly what I'll do. The last thing I want is for the bike to get stuck in the shop going into April, especially over a hose... and $1500.. no sir! Haven't had any real experience with the stealership outside of buying the bike- and I'd just as soon keep it that way. If they didn't give it a once-over for common Vrod problems when they took it in, I doubt they're gonna do me any favors now. I'd rather give it the TLC myself. Thanks for the wisdom dudes, looking forward to being drip free shortly.??
Old 03-28-2017, 01:34 PM   #11
mikes06rod
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You have a warranty on an '06-R ? WOW - But in that case , I'd make sure they took care of it , just show them where . Actually , it take about 15 minutes to swap it . They should be able to do it while you wait , that is , is they have the new hose on-hand .
Mike
mikes06rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #12
BishopDelicious
Registered Full

Hahah yeah.. it was supposedly "the last year I could get it".. but they offered 2 years extended HD warranty when I got the bike.. I wouldn't have bought it, but you never know how the last owner treated the bike. The engines reputation and low mileage (and my undying decade long need for a V) compelled me, but it includes roadside and all the rest. Little easier blasting away from the lot knowing if the bottom fell out I had some recourse, as I bought outright. So far the dealership hasn't returned my call from about 5 mins before I originally posted.. so I'll likely take care of it myself. The thing runs like a dream otherwise, seems like it spent too much time in the garage in its past life.. but that's over now
Old 03-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #13
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

With that low of miles, watch for the overheat. If it does, you have bolt backed out that drives the water pump on the cam drive countershaft sprocket. Check the dealer if they have a record of this issue. If not, you may want to go ahead and have that bolt removed, cleaned, red Loctite applied, and reinstalled. Simple procedure and common on that year with low miles. If it happens, know that you are not only losing cooling, you are losing oil pressure to the cam bearings, so you cannot nurse it home by letting the bike cool down.

This procedure needs to be done on any 06 R. It's a once and done thing though, no need to repeat.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:54 AM   #14
Tractionless
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
With that low of miles, watch for the overheat. If it does, you have bolt backed out that drives the water pump on the cam drive countershaft sprocket. Check the dealer if they have a record of this issue. If not, you may want to go ahead and have that bolt removed, cleaned, red Loctite applied, and reinstalled. Simple procedure and common on that year with low miles. If it happens, know that you are not only losing cooling, you are losing oil pressure to the cam bearings, so you cannot nurse it home by letting the bike cool down.

This procedure needs to be done on any 06 R. It's a once and done thing though, no need to repeat.
Interesting, any how-to's floating around on that?
Tractionless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #15
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

Several of them. Even some youtube videos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement