Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1.75" Lowering Kit

40K views 92 replies 34 participants last post by  rc4man 
#1 ·
I know I have been mentioning this a few times in other threads but I thought I would start one specifically for the 1.75 Lowering Kit. I received an e mail from Rob at Tamarack Machine Works today with a photo of the new kits that will be available next week. I started this thread in the VRSCR forum only because that is where the interest for them has been. Here is his e mail,

Hey Brian, I just thought I would give you a sneak peek at my new 1.75" kit for V-Rod's.
This picture was taken before we sent them off for plating.
The black anodized kit should be back from the anodized next Tuesday. Chrome plated kit should be here next Wednesday or Thursday.
, , here is the pic he sent me, and again, I know this is not for everyone!!!!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I guess you are the one who did the Buy/Now on ebay. I have not yet received mine so I don't know what the shocking setting will be. It will be determined by your and your riders weight. I will probably measure the distance from the swing arm to the bottom of the fuel cell and try to keep distance somewhere near 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

#26 ·
Well they came today and after 20 minutes they were on, here are a coulpe of pics, , ,

Wow nice and cheap, thinking about it now! but for us DX only 1 in.
it's good alternative

M

#10 ·
It's a nice design and seems to lower as advertised. I wasn't aware you had installed the old style pasenger foot pegs. With your bike lowered, be careful the peg mount (where it bolts to the swing arm) doesn't hit the fuel tank (when you go over bumps, I mean).

#11 ·
I did check that and it just comes in contact with the pegs so I tightened up the shocks from the bottom to 3 from the bottom. These mounts would be an issue with either the 14.25 shocks or this kit. If that does not work I will have to go back to my old peg mounts, I will definitely be keeping the kit.

#12 ·
Nice Brian! U r getting there, just a few more inches to go :D

BTW - What are those gauges on the engine front?

#21 ·
Took about 10 minutes. Just loosen off the bootom shock bolts then jack the bike up to take the weight off them. After that it is just a straight bolt on. Comes instruction that you really don't need.

#23 ·
Well thats the idea, this kit is so you can run the standard 16" R shock , if you want to change out the shock you'll have to go with the 14.25 Performance Works shock. This solution cost 80% less than the price of the replacement shocks.

#29 ·
Absolutely, but I REALLY like the drop the 1.75" gave the bike, it's so much better then the stock look. I did not like having to give up the A style passenger pegs but you can't have everything I guess,

#30 ·
I've got a set of machined passenger peg extenders, but hate the look. I may just go with the swing arm mounted A style pegs with a 1" drop.

Tamarack is a pretty cool company. Emailed me back within an hour with answers to questions.

Great thread Matrix.

#34 ·
2 Up

I have, rides out well. I stiffened up the shocks as far as they would go, still feels good. I'm 175 and the better half is 120. I did hit quite a hole one day and the bike did bottomed out, but no issues as far as the bike is concerned. I do mostly ride sole and remove the passenger pegs until the next time she want's to ride.

#38 ·
Leveling the Bike

Honestly, since I lowered the bike it sits level. The back end of the bike, as built, was higher than the front end and this was done by design. There are threads on the sight explaining how to drop the front end but I have not done that as of yet, I sort of like where it is.

#40 ·
I have a 2010 dx and am looking for a rear lowering kit and a front kit how hard was it to install and where can I get the kit for a 2010 dx

#41 ·
Tamarack Machine Works

I wanted to put this out there because I had a hard time finding the information for Tamarack Machine Works.

WWW.TamarackMW.com

I ordered the wrong part last week, I wanted the 1.75" kit but I ordered the 1" by mistake. When I contacted TMW, they offered to pay to ship me the new one, and ship the old one back.

Spoke to Keith Bertram, stand up company!:thumb:

#43 ·
I have an R and this kit did lower my seat 1.75" The drawback is that you will only have approx 0.75" of suspension travel before your gas tank hits the cross member of the swingarm. Attached is a pic of my tank/swingarm after bolting on the kit. The back roads here in the northeast of the US of A are notoriously rough and I found that 0.75" of travel was not nearly enough.

So I am ordering a Corbin hollywood close seat which is said to lower seat height by about 1" and also ordering Works Performance shocks which lower another 1" and are custom tailored to your weight. They have dual rate springs and 3 adjustable spring rate settings. I expect to keep the same seat height as with the Tamarack mod but double the suspension travel. The dual rate shocks will also help in keeping the gas tank coming into contact with my bikes swingarm.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.