Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Slipper Clutch

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  rattletrap 
#1 ·
Okay so what's the deal with this slipper clutch?
Is it really worth upgrading to?
I'm sure guys who have it will say it's the best thing since sliced bread and those who don't have it will probably say it not worth it.
So what is the real deal?

#19 ·
Cannot agree more here. when my wife got her '05 VRSCA this was the first thing I had done. I rode her A a couple of times before the slipper install and did not get my throttle blip exactly right on a couple of downshifts while taking some twisty corners pretty hard.

The rear wheel lockup is very disconcerting when you are running the V-Rod hard and you don't get that downshift right, which will happen to everyone at one time or another.

The slipper to me is just like ABS. Yet another tool to help you ride safer and I am all for that. It's just a fantastic upgrade.

#9 ·
By allowing itself to slip, rather than the rear wheel locking up.

#10 ·
Most sportbikes have been using a slipper clutch for years. My new aprilia uses one as well, makes a big difference in deceleration..

#17 ·
Well I got to installing the clutch today. Drained the oil, removed exhaust (what a pain), removed cover, removed old clutch, installed new clutch (another pain getting the plates to line up), reinstalled cover, reinstalled mufflers, figured I would change oil filter while I was at it, went to get new oil to put in bike and remembered what I forgot to buy this week!!!!

Dammit

O well I will get some oil tomorrow and give her a spin and report back

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#20 ·
I did the slipper clutch upgrade at about 65k. I didn't notice the drastic difference in feel that others report. I have no complaints about the slipper, but if I could do it again I'd wait until the old one was toast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.