Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

What did you do to your V-Rod today

1M views 8K replies 930 participants last post by  2003 VRod Rider 
#1 ·
I noticed we didn't have one of these, and figured I'd make one. I mod on some car forums, and they are usually pretty interesting topics.

So did you mod, maintain, fix something?

Today
- I changed and bled the rear brakes (now its very very stiff hmmm)
- Relocated the rear signal to the shock mounts using a kit (required pulling the shock tops, rear fender, under-fender, cutting the under fender, and extending the wires)
- Installed the side-mount from Killervrod.... had to cut my plate smaller, but looks good. I didn't install the LED yet.
- Removed the Screaming Chicken exhaust and packed them up, getting TAB's this week

#8,003 ·
"R" got new tires.
It was Avon Cobra Chrome, a tire I can recommend. Never any unpleasant experiences either on dry or wet roads. Would have liked a little longer life on the rear wheel, the front wheel still had 50% tread left, mostly touring, no weekend warrior. Had the opportunity to check the swing arm bushings, brake pads, wheel bearings and belt & pulley. A quick polish of the rims was also on the check list. Christmas came early, everything OK. Now it is Bridgestone that is fitted front and rear, have not tried that brand before but should have received good reviews.

Adjusting the drive belt to the correct tension is one thing, getting the wheels aligned is another. Can be a painstaking process that should not be underestimated. Ron B. has commented on this several times and it is the case that the solution H-D uses to adjust the wheel axle is marginally usable. That patent was used in this country in the 50s and 60s on Ă–gland/Sachs 50cc mopeds...
Gas Circle Rim Auto part Button

A new Avon 180-18 has been ordered so I can wear out the front tire too... ;)

#8,004 ·
Adjusting the drive belt to the correct tension is one thing, getting the wheels aligned is another. Can be a painstaking process that should not be underestimated.
Yes, I've vented on here extensively as well in regards to the snail cam adjuster " system ". Absolute junk if you really watch what you're doing when you tighten down the axle. Play in the slotted snail cam is biggest problem, it needs to be rotated on the axle to the proper matching position as the welded on snail adjuster then the slot needs to be welded so there is no play when slid on the flats of the axle. Since my wheel is all the way forward to reduce the wheelbase ( using 30t fwd pulley with 28t belt ) I've dreamed of creating shim blocks to go in the swingarm slots fwd of the axle to hold it in place so you could tighten it down lightly and tap the axle fwd to remove play then final tighten. Bolt with locknut style pull adjusters could be retrofit but the axle spacers would have to be narrowed for them to fit, and lands machined into end of swingarm for bolt to locate and rotate on. Big PIA for correcting a lousy H-D OEM setup. I just drink another beer or two and spend an hour torturing myself getting the loosey goosey setup tightened down in alignment. :rolleyes: :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.