Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Why the desire for the fat tire?

12K views 55 replies 28 participants last post by  alex2494 
#1 ·
I've noticed in my V Rod research that a lot of people are recommending later models due, partly, to the fatter tires.

Is that an aesthetic thing or a performance thing?

I'm guessing "aesthetic". Some people hate the look of fat tires as part of the OCC "backlash". I have not made up my mind which I like better-I always liked V Rods, but never really looked closely at them until now.

#2 ·
If you have to ask what the desire is for a fat rear tire then obviously you don't desire one, so buy something without one. As to your other question, I would say the fatter tire gives an advantage on launch in the quarter mile but handles worse in the curves than say a 180. So if handling is more important to you get either a used VROD with a smaller rear tire or if you REALLY like handling buy something else altogether.

I am not familiar with the "OCC backlash" but I live on a rock in the middle of the Pacific.

#3 ·
Its a looks thingy. Guys will argue about 5HP and adverse handling, and ride quailty. It all comes down to looking cool and nothing says badass sheep like a 240.

#13 ·
#4 ·
Fat tire envy is one of the seven deadly sins. Fat tires aren't efficient for fuel economy or performance or handling the twisty's. Fatness is all about aesthetics or. ...

#50 ·
Not even close. I had mine before rocker Dan and there were several who had it before me

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Alex, your bike rocks! :notworth: I've looked for threads and posts and would really like to know what you used for the rear fender and solo seat mod.

#10 ·
Yes it looks, most all of this is about looks. The 180 tire will corner a bit better than the 240, the question is does it matter to you and does the bike have enough lean or engineering that it actually matters in real situations and what are your riding habits and/or skill level. Also wet weather conditions are less favorable with more rubber on the road. For everyday riding and most street conditions the 240 will make you feel secure, handle crappy roads, uneven road crap, cracks, ect. a little smoother. 240 cost more too!
Basically the 240 other than CVO or SE models, has been around on stock bikes since 07 and I believe you'll have to go with an 08 or older to get a thin tire bike. Not sure when the 240 became standard.

#14 ·
It's pretty much for looks. But I must say it handles well also then again I have never rode a bike with a tire less then the size 240.

#17 ·
Fat tire comes standard 2007 up- that makes it pretty simple to recommend -
Newer bikes have 5 gallon tanks and Brembo brakes. Love my '09AW put a 260 on it and could have gone to a 280.

If you bought an older bike with a 180 tire and wanted to go to a 240 it would cost you in excess of $2500.

Looks good handles good.

#21 ·
Lol

Attachments

#37 ·
If buying a v rod used you have two basic choices:

Older bikes have the 180 tire, 3+ gallon tank and 1100cc motor.

Newer bikes have the 240 tire, 5+ gallon tank and 1200cc motor.

Lean angle depends a lot on the tire crown, front and back. Mismatched tire sets will change the handling. Different manufacturers offer different tire crown. A wide tire set can have a good lean angle if it has a lot of crown. A flat or less crowning, narrow tire will have poor leaning performance.

I have a 180 and I only wish it had the bigger gas tank. Oh well, I'll just have to put a kit in.

You asked a question with many variables, hopefully I addressed something the previous posters did not.

#40 ·
You could put a 180 rear tire on the newer bikes and get your five gallon gas tank. In 2007 all the bikes except the R received new frames and swingarms. Of those, the plain Jane Night Rod, the VRSCD kept the 180 rear tire even though it had the same frame and swingarm (same part numbers) as the wide rear tire VRSCX, VRSCDX and VRSCAW. Wheel spacers, rear pulley and rear pulley isolator bowl differ between the D and the wide rear wheel bikes, but you could if you wanted put the narrower rear tire in the new frame. You can even use the narrower D rear fender and inner fender on that frame because that is how they came in 2007. 2007 Ds had five gallons and a 180 rear tire.

Of course you could always buy an R too. Just saying ............

#39 ·
Entirely looks. But what's a bike for?

To go fast and give you a thrill.
To look cool and make you feel good.
To get you from one place to another, in safe'y and comfort.
To cut out the parking and traffic hassles of a car.

Pick any one of those, and you can forget the V-Rod. It's not remotely as fast as my sports bike, not as cool as my heavily modified Softaiil, nowhere near as practical as my KTM.

Yet it tends to be first pick in the garage when I choose a bike for my day, because it is a quick enough for the real world, and making it go quickly is fun rather than mad, it is cool enough to give me a sense of occasion when I ride it, and it gets me there just fine.

It would be more practical but less cool with a narrow tyre.

I like it as it is. Barring all the mods I have done to my 07, the only thing I really miss is ABS (available from 08).

#42 ·
Cooler looking than a R or F.:stilpoke:

#44 ·
#1 looks
#2 contact patch
I had an affinity with older GSXR 1100's. The first upgrade I would do would be to widen the rear rim. I had issues with the back end kicking out when accelerating hard when on a lean. I have not ridden a v-rod with a smaller rear tire so I'm am not sure that it would apply but I would imagine it would...

#47 ·
You are far better off fitting a softer compound than increasing the size of the tyre anyway.

If you look at serious modern performance bikes, tyres are around 190. Anything bigger than that and any grip you gain you are more than losing in unsprung weight and rotational inertia.

That's about racing with corners, obviously. I've no idea what you fit on a drag bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.