Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Clanking noise ?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Eiliko 
#1 ·
Just the other day my belt cover started rubbing so I took it off now on occasion when come to a stop it makes a kinda of clanking noise. Any thought

#2 ·
I'm not sure what logic you were using when you decided to remove the belt guard. If something that doesn't move and wasn't rubbing before starts to rub, the thing that should be looked at is what moved, not the thing that's stationary.

You need to look at what caused the belt to start rubbing the belt guard. The things to check are:
  • the rear sprocket (including the sprocket bearing, compensator cushion, and wheel bearings),
  • front sprocket and output shaft bearing,
  • swingarm bearings
The clanking noise you now hear could be the rear sprocket inside flange coming loose due to belt walk towards the inside.

#5 ·
Did you loosen the belt when you checked it? If not loosen and remove belt snug axle nut up and check for play. If pulley started rubbing on guard without any impacts to guard then something is moving, pulley/wheel. While its up spin rear wheel without belt and listen for bearing noise. Check for play in wheel bearing also

#6 ·
got the manual and went and got a torque wench. Which I should of done in the first place when adding the plate to the shock mount. Its weird though cause it only just started happening and I've had the plate on there for months . So far so good only drove it probably 10 miles so far

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.