Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

2012 VRSCDX - Vance and Hines FuelPak Issues

20K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  ealmeidaus 
#1 ·
Has anyone used a V&H FuelPak on a 2012 VRSCDX?

I installed a set Vance and Hines Widow slip-ons with the usual K&N filter along with a new FuelPak.

I can definitely tell the difference in performance, specially at higher rpms. But the bike appears to be running lean at light throttle openings, between 3k - 4k rpm....it misfires a lot.

I double checked the installation/wires/fuel map numbers...everything is correct.

I called V&H and they asked me to modify three modes of the original fuel map that I got from their website. It helped quite a bit, but the bikes still missfires between 3-4k rpm. So I called them back and we modified the fuel map one more time, but it is still doing the same thing.

Just wondering if anybody else was having the same issues.

I am new to the Harley Davidson world..love my v rod.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a 2012 VRSCF. And have the exact same problems your having. Spoke to V&H and got the truth about there fuel pak. They only have 2 generic maps for these bikes. I have 2into1 Comp Racing exhaust which makes it even more difficult to properly tune being the pipes are so short. So basically they did the same for me. Try changing this mode to this setting and so on. They really don't know if what values there telling to change will actually work. Once again these V Rod's fall to the side of all the other Harley's being made.
I think my next step is going to be a Dyno Tune with a Dyno Jet, Power Vision tuner. That seems to be the only sure way to properly tune our bikes. Keep me posted f you find out anything else. Hope my info helped you out, at least a little.

#10 ·
Has this issue been resolved ? I shoulda read this thread before purchasing the Fuelpak for my 2012 Muscle. I was on the phone w/ V&h tech 3 times yesterday. Finally got it running decent, but still some popping at 4k RPM. Anyone here have the perfect map numbers for k&n with slip ons ? Purchasing another unit at this time is not an option.

#14 ·
Have a 2013 Muscle, it has a fuelpak and had the competition slipons, had the notorious fart, stumble , hiccup, whatever around 3500-4000 rpm, after a couple of calls to V&H, with little improvement, I drilled the airbox..... not topless. but drilled about half dozen half inch holes in both sides of the airbox, problem gone..now I have an Akropovic pipe, 2 into 1 competition pipe map and runs strong no stumbles, now whether this works for anyone else, who knows, but after using this air box trick on several Buells I have owned, thought I give it a try, BTY I also don't run a K&N.... believe you gain more with the drilling, than just a filter change, considering the small snorkel used on the airbox.

#17 ·
I made a larger snorkel out of a section of leaf blower spout from Toro's smallest electric leaf blower. I cut a section from the blower end where it is largest and it turned out to be as big as I could fit in the space available. It made a noticeable change in how the bike ran, and required a re-map to clean up a big midrange stumble. It still needs more work however, when (if) I ever find the time.

#18 ·
Eh, from what I have seen on the dyno, removing the air box upper half ("topless") only affects the last 2000 rpm. From idle to 7000 rpm there is no change other than the bike becomes too loud to ride comfortably. Go ahead and play around with it however. We have to live and learn. Wear ear plugs however, topless is louder than any exhaust. You feel it as much as hear it, awful for any sort of long ride.

#19 ·
I did remove the top, and noticed no difference. I made my 4th call yesterday for more mode settings, and it appeared from the short test ride I did that the burps at 4K are gone I still have a little popping at around 3k, so I will be calling again after I get a longer ride in. Once I have this dialed in I will be more than happy to share the settings with anyone else running into to the same problems to see if it helps them. Regarding the sufficating air shroud. Any company with a redesigned air filter cover ? Seems there's a need for it. I like the idea of a snorkel mod with the toro leaf blower

#21 ·
My 2012 NRS was equipped by the dealer with K&N filter and V&H Black Widows. Also paid $100 for "stage 1 download". Ran like crap, used my SEPRT (that I had to buy for the download) and installed the"mytune" map off this forum. Couldn't be happier, runs like a different bike (runs GREAT!).

#22 ·
My '13 F had same issues with that with the slip-ons and K&N. After a few months of back and forth I took the map they gave with the basic first changes that fixed the 4500 area pop and did the rest myself and runs like a dream now. It ended up being like 5-6 values that were the issue. Set them to zero then added fuel to them until it started again then backed them off one at a time. If I remember right they told me the first values are for fuel up to 25 i think and for every seven points you add is 1 afr point.

#24 ·
This is what I have for values from 1-20 some are changed some are standard after 20 it is all base values for map 4690.

This was working with V&H and my own tinkering found that modes 10-13 where the issue after all the other values they gave me to get rid of other issues that their values had fixed. I hope it helps you guys out, have ran it in these settings for the last few month of riding last year with no issues at all. Then Minnesota happened again and the bike is sitting.

#28 ·
Do they make the SESPT for NRS anymore? I have a 13 DX and want to go this route but can't seem to find it. With the Black Widow slip ons and no filter my bike is red lining at 6k so Iam assuming I need a tuner....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.