Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

"R" rated pictures

11K views 71 replies 31 participants last post by  FastVRJohnny 
#1 · (Edited)
With a lot of help from my friends here on the Forum, I am getting close to finishing up my "R" for the year, and I wanted to share a few pic's with you. I am hopeing to have it finshed in time for the Laughlin run. I'll post up some better picks when I get her on the road. Pic (1) Shows V&H Dash, PC"ed 07" bars with internal wiring, blacked out PC'ed H-D controls, Rizoma grips, custom bar ends and Rizoma bar end mirrors. (2) shows Rizoma mid controls. (3) shows quick shifter sensor in shift shaft. (4) shows custom sleeved XR1200X Showa Big Piston fork (resprung and valved for the "R" by Tony at Race Tech). (5) shows custom drilled Ti axle and nut, composit brake disk, Ti bolts, ceramic bearings, CF wheels, Olin shocks. (6) shows custom CNC"ed rear pully indexed to the CF wheels, You can't see the CNC'ed aluminum cush drive, but it's there. There's a lot more to see, like the custom Ti front fender brackets and the "F" front fender, the custom Ti swing arm shaft, the Lithium 2.5 Lb battery, Corbin saddle, pillion and back rest, custom drilled Ti front axle and nut and custom front and rear black anodized aluminum spacers, and last but not least the ceramic coated custom indy/super/thunder header. And can you believe it ? My wife thinks I got carryed away! ! Happy trails. Ed... PS Pat, your stuff is on its way. Ron, buddy where is that belt guard?

Attachments

See less See more
#43 ·
Hale-Yes, I have more questions for you, I've observed that you have the axles of the wheels different than the stock axles, Did you buy these at V-shop?
I'm gonna get in touch with V-shop soon, to buy ceramic bearings and if V-shop has the axles it wil be more easier for me.
And did you have to mechanize the triple tee to install the forks of the XR1200X?
By the moment I won´t change the forks because I'm gonna install Hyperpro progressive springs from R+R customized.

#44 ·
Looks like a stock 25 mm XR front axle. He had to sleeve the XR fork stanchions to fit the holes in the Street Rod triple clamps. The XR stanchions taper to 56 mm at the top where the stock Street Rod pieces are 58 mm all the way down. Race Tech did it for them and judging from the silence to my repeated requests for a repeat performance on my R, it must have been a lot of work to get right. They don't seem to be in any hurry to do another!

#51 ·
Not to worry. 6AL- V4 is the alloy that I used. I studied up on Ti, and talked to aircraft parts builders before I picked my alloy of choice. This alloy is very suitable for the making of axles. It's not the easiest to work with, but it is way strong.

#52 ·
Hale-Yes, excuse me I got more questions for you, I bought the BST carbon fiber wheels here in Spain, and the seller advise me that I must be carefull with the potholes and big bumps of the road, because he told me that the carbon fiber wheels are fragile with the big bumps and potholes. What do you think about this?

I still haven't installed the carbon fiber wheels because I want to install ceramic bearings as you've done and I want to buy the ceramic bearing kit for V-rod that Sharkey sells in V-SHOP, I'm trying to get in touch with Sharkey from V-SHOP by e-mail info@v-shop.us and I sent him a private message here, but he doesn't answer me back, I think he is on holiday.

I don't know when he is gonna open the shop, Do you?

#53 ·
Every thing that I read, tells me that the BST are strong wheels. They exceed the European and DOT standards. I don't think that you need to worry. Just use the same care as you would for any wheel and you will be fine. As for Sharkey, I don't know. I have not talked to him for a few weeks, but I am sure that if you leave him an email he will get back to you. Sharkey's good people. The ceramic bearings are the real deal. I'm know your going to like them. Good luck to you. Ed...

#55 ·
Kinda wondering, myself.....

#57 ·
Thanks for your interest guys. The short answer is no, I have not. I have a few more small things to do, to finish it up, but as some of you know, I am a farmer, and summer time is crazy stupid busy for me. So there it sits. I hope to get back to it in mid Aug. I will post pic's. Thanks. Ed...

#61 ·
I want those wheels so badly that I can't sleep nights. Did you weigh them compared to stock?

The rest of your bike is also extremely tasty but those wheels - form and function in quintessence. (Duoessence??)

#63 ·
Hey, I love the mods you have done. Great, great stuff. I have a couple of questions.

1. Did the Rizoma rizers change riding position and was any extra work required to put them on or were they an easy fit?

2. I see where you had to create mounts for the instrument pod. I have seen the pod in person on an XR1200 and it looks great. How did you address the keeping your mileage correct? Did you have a dealer install and certify?

Thanks

#69 ·
1. By rizers, do you mean peg mounts? I used the stock "R" bar mounts/rizers and made a custom mount for the speedo that bolts on top of the rizers. If you mean peg mounts, Yes, they move your feet back about 1 1/2 inches, and up about 3/4 of an inch. There are a few small mods that need to be done to fit them to the "R". Its not a big deal. When you are ready to do it, PM me and Ill be happy to walk you through it. 2. There is no permanent odometer in the unit, just a trip meter. Ed...

#70 ·
#65 ·
Nice Build

Great work on your R. I am currently on hold on my R build while I am deployed but I am ordering parts so when i get home its on. Would you be able to pass the part # of the Rizoma foot controls on? I went to the site and no part # offered for the R just the other models.

Thanks again great build up :)

#68 ·
Great work on your R. I am currently on hold on my R build while I am deployed but I am ordering parts so when i get home its on. Would you be able to pass the part # of the Rizoma foot controls on? I went to the site and no part # offered for the R just the other models.

Thanks again great build up :)
It the same set as the other V Rods use. There are a few small mods that need to be made to fit the "R". It's no big deal. When you get back and are ready to do it, PM me and ill walk you through it. Keep your head down and be safe, and thanks for your service. If you don't have your parts yet, let me recommend Ohio-Buckeye here on the forum. Ron is a Rizoma dealer and is super to deal with. Ed...

#66 ·
Just curious, why did you go w/the XR1200 forks? I had racetech do my "R" forks and love them. Aren't they the same basically ???

John

#67 ·
Race Tech does indeed build a much improved (over the stock unit) fork for the "R". I know this well because they built there very first "R" forks for me. That being the case, the new technology available in the "Big Piston" design offered by Showa in there big piston forks is nothing short of revolutionary. Tony at Race Tech can tell you all about it, as he set up the valving and springs on my XR 1200 X to "R" fork conversion. Ed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.