Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Looks like the Majority where correct.

3K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  cycorod 
#1 ·
The Flake Paint scheme isn't a big seller over at HD.
Wonder if it will still be around next season.
Got this from HD Advisory panel today:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I saw 48 painted in that flake paint scheme over at HD dealer. Bike itself is a good looking machine but paint ruins it for me. The only place I see it fit would be a gay pride parade or drag queen get together. Personally I hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
It wasn't that flake paint jobs aren't good. Harley just chose the most ridiculously over done schemes of flake. I saw one solid flake in one of their specials that looked like a good 1c^2 chunk. They were just done badly. Take it all out and you could probably smelt a frame from a few paint jobs.

#7 ·
I see a LOT of Bobbers etc... around here with the Fleck paint and most of them look really good, HD someone how made them "Safe" i guess is the best word I can use. Plus that type of scheme would be a personal touch I think, can you imagine showing up and someone else having the exact same Fleck Paint scheme as you?

#9 ·
I've seen in-person several of harley's flake-paint , both on sportster's and dyna's ( I think ) . I have to say the 'quality' of the flake-paint is second to none . I lived through the first wave of paint like this in the 70's , and I didn't like it then either . So back then , instead of painting the bikes like that , it got switched to painting the helmets . Didn't get any better . The green flake-paint that harley chose is downright awful . I know that all bikes can't be black , but I won't be sorry to see this flake-paint go away . Just my 2 cents .
Mike

#10 ·
The Flake Paint scheme isn't a big seller over at HD.
Wonder if it will still be around next season.
Got this from HD Advisory panel today:
So what did you choose since they did not offer "No paint" as an option? :stilpoke:

#14 ·
Collectable?

I imagine that even if you were enthralled by the glitter, a few weeks of comments and scrutiny would lead to a round of loathing and repainting.

Buy one today, wrap it in Cosmoline, in a couple of years you'll have the only one!

This is the sort of innovation I thought had been left behind with AMF.

#17 ·
I imagine that even if you were enthralled by the glitter, a few weeks of comments and scrutiny would lead to a round of loathing and repainting.

Buy one today, wrap it in Cosmoline, in a couple of years you'll have the only one!

This is the sort of innovation I thought had been left behind with Willie G's retirement .

Fixed it for you.

BTW, those boat tail fender XL's are collectable, ugly but collectable.

#19 ·
Thats what I was thinking. Back in the 70's I had a Murray bicycle, with green metal flake paint job and green flake banana seat. Man I loved that bike :) . I am in the minority on this one thou, as I like that paint. Now, I am not buying one, so that is a big diff to HD.

#16 ·
I believe the solid color paint schemes still dominate the show room floors. At least the dealers I've been to. Especially the real hot sellers - the baggers.
The heavy flaked bikes are definitely in the minority so it would stand to reason they would be in the lower percentile. Stats can be manipulated any way someone sees fit but I believe also that the flake will die a quick death.

#18 ·
But flake Helmets are ok?:angeldev:

#21 ·
I have to wonder what percentage of the production mix have the flake paint and if the sales are meeting Harley's targets? If the target was 8 to 10 percent then we will continue to see it offered. If the uptake rate was expected to be 25 to 30 percent then they have failed miserably and it will probably go away. I say probably because Harley rarely does anything that makes sense.

#22 ·
I took that survey.... it was long before the new flake bikes were introduced, so I think it's a little premature to associate it with the sales of the new bikes. There were few flake painted bikes available before this new model year.

#37 ·
Had to go to the dealer for a set of exhaust gaskets today and they had a few of the single and multi-colored flake bikes with mini-apes.

All I could think was that the Seventies were the Seventies for a reason, and there's a reason all of that stuff was left in the past.

Ick.

R.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.