Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Project: Monobody

5K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  BT 
#1 ·
So some of you may have seen that I'm going big bore this winter. And while I'm saving up the money to pay for everything and buying the pieces between I need to keep busy. Sooo last year I seen the Kele Design monobody and just feel lin love with it. So I decided this year I will attempt to build my own out of carbon fiber. I've worked with fiberglass before and had some great outcomes, so I'm excited to work the carbon fiber. I'm also going to be creating some seat cowls for my wifes SV650s motorcycle to get my feet wet with the carbon fiber. I plan on doing all this via vacuum infusion so that it will be the strongest and light as possible. At this time I don't plan on making them to sell but depending on how much interest there is I will consider it. I'll keep you update on the progress, it will be a slow process just hope to have a base one made by the summer to use.

Here are some pics of the beginning, how many of you can say that you have an R value motorcycle!

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Wow alot of popcorn eating going on here huh! Well the foam is almost set, about to start on layer two might let it sit up for the night. The next layer will build up the airbox section and then the next layer will be to do the front side covers. Now I''m not sure how much of an intake vent I can get there since I am going with clip on bars and that limits the space a bit more.

#11 ·
Thanks for this links will take dome of that in when we start finalizing the details. I was just going to do the air box and rear fender together but thinking now to do the side covers as well. Then I could use a three point mounting system the tabs and screw if the side cover, the air box pin, and finally the rear fender bolt area. Will be doing the second layer today will snap some more pics tonight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle App

#12 ·
I have some experience with this type of composite tooling fabrication. The type of foam you are working with will give you a very difficult time due to it's flexibility and slow/inconsistent curing.

I can see from the pictures that you have already invested quite a bit of time and money on the spray foam, but you may want to consider starting over with a proper rapid cure foam.

Here is the stuff I am talking about:

It is available in many densities, but I like working with the 4lb stuff. If you go this route, let me know and I can give you some tips on how to work with it.

Here is the company I get it from. They are great to deal with for all composite supplies, and their materials are always fresh.

#13 ·
Thanks....great information

Mike,
That's what I like about this site...it's a forum where members can get feedback,then streamline expensive,time consuming proceedures to produce efficient outcomes.
I've been experimenting with TapPlastics.com, but your product appears to be more precise/predictable.:not worth:
I'll now be utilizing the "black casting resin" by AeroMarine for my prototypes and finished projects.
E1

#16 ·
Thanks for the info, I will have to keep this in mind. Like you said obviously I've put the time and money into this setup already. If it doesn't work out now I know what route to go. So thank you very much have booked-marked that website. I'm currently letting it set up, tomorrow I will start cutting, sanding and shaping the basic plug. And then will start putting clay down to get the details that I want out of it. Decided with this model I'm going to include the front side vents as well.

I love this place do to the amount of support and info that you get when you want to try something new!

#17 ·
Wow, interesting thread! builders post up what you make please, I am sure the rest of the class would love to see it.
Checked out the CF and blower bike, pretty cool stuff. 10k eruo for a blower?!?!?! Holy crap...
mikeinatlanta, how tuff is this stuff to shape?

#18 ·
I depends on the density. I don't like the 2lb because it isn't very strong. The 4lb is very difficult to dent with your finger but pretty easy to put a little dent in it with a finger nail. A bondo rasp cuts it down like butter. Much easier than the spray foam. 80 grit paper will eat it very, very fast. It's hardness actually makes it easier to sand.

If you use 8lb density is very hard and better for making permanent things like signage and trim.

#28 ·
good information...thanks

Mike,
Thanks for posting your techniques:notworth:. I'm always trying to discover new ways of modeling and shaping . Great lessons and relevant to creating new VR projects.
E1

#23 ·
Cool project!

#24 ·
Well started shaping the basic shape of it yesterday, just mainly shaving off all the extra that I didn't need. Didn't get to far still waiting for the bottom to completely dry so stuck it over the heat vent for the night, hopefully tomorrow or Thursday I'll have a bit of time to start sanding it down.

Attachments

#29 ·
Yeah, might have to look into your foam Mike this stuff just didn't turn out how I liked. Going to attempt a different brought to get the armature done. Going to glass over the air box and rear seat pan to make a male mold and the cut and shape that how I want. More with what I'm use to, but figured I would try a new thing...lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.