Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Would You Buy Another Harley (other than a V-Rod)?

29K views 415 replies 120 participants last post by  T-Rod45 
#1 ·
I've ridden all the other model Harley's and would not buy any of them. Am I alone here? Compared to the competition they seemed to me to be a big disappointment. Braking, performance, lean angle, fit/finish, etc., all seemed a bit below average compared to what's out there. I think Harley has turned into more of a marketing machine than a well engineered product. OK, they do look good.

:soapbox:

I'm done now.

#366 ·
I bought a 2013 Street Glide back at the end of May to have something to ride the wife on that was comfortable. Wasn't getting rid of my vrod thou. Love both bikes for what their good for.

The rest of the fleet

#367 ·
Anyone who thinks you don't need rain gear in California is badly misinformed. We were rained on returning from the USGP in Monterey. It has been wet, wet, wet since mid July in the desert. BIG afternoon and evening thunderstorms.

#368 ·
just got a 13 road glide the other day. went to look at the 14 street glides but went with the RG instead. nothing from the japanese manufacturers peeked my interest as far as 2 up touring models. almost went with a leftover 12 victory hardball but resale value just isn't there and not a lot of aftermarket support(resale value and aftermarket support... reminds me of another bike..). the can am spyder was also considered because i think they are cool as hell, but my garage would be busting at the seems trying to get that in there. so RG got the nod.

i don't find it as comfortable as the vrod. don't like floorboards or heel shifter, or the seat shape for that matter. handlebars might be ok once i move them up. torque is great, it moves along pretty good, and without the big 240 in the rear it sure does turn easy.

#370 ·
Funny you should say that. I just got back from Milwaukee and HD's 110th Celebration. Rode the V-Rod there and back and it was a little buzzy above 70mph. Was thinking about adding a FJR to the stable. I didn't put these bikes in the same category. I haven't ridden the FJR yet so it will be interesting to see if they're anything alike.

#371 ·
Would I buy another Harley? No, I didn't...

#373 ·
A single front disc like that Switchback has is hopelessly inadequate even for normal urban traffic. I have an R80GS with a single front disc and even though it's a good 300 lbs lighter than that Switchback thing, there are times when things happen on surface streets even in our small community when it just doesn't have enough brakes. I have to ride very carefully on that bike. A bigger brake set up is coming because the current set up for any kind of loaded touring is worthless. I joke the bike has anti lock brakes because loaded the front brake cannot be locked no matter how hard I squeeze.

#374 ·
A single front disc like that Switchback has is hopelessly inadequate even for normal urban traffic.
BULLSHIT!!!

BULLSHIT!!!

BULLSHIT!!!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

http://motorcycle-vermont.com/the-effect-of-motorcycle-type-on-braking-distance/

Motorcycle
Type
Stopping, 60 to 0
2012 Aprilia 1200 Dorsoduro
Hypermotard
111.1 ft
2012 Harley Davidson Dyna Switchback
Cruiser
114.0 ft
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S without ABS
Adventure bike
114.3 ft
2011 Honda CB1000R
Naked Sport Standard
114.5 ft
2009 Triumph Street Triple R
Naked Sport Standard
114.6 ft
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Sport
115.6 ft
2011 Ducati Monster 796
Naked Sport Standard
117.4 ft
2012 Harley Sportster 72
Cruiser
120.7 ft
2004 Honda GL1800A Gold Wing
Touring Bike
121.1 ft
2012 Triumph Tiger without ABS
Adventure bike
121.3 ft
2005 BMW K1200 LT
Touring Bike
121.6 ft
2013 Victory Judge
Cruiser
123.6 ft
2012 Triumph Tiger with ABS
Adventure bike
127.6 ft
2010 Suzuki DR-Z400S
Dual Sport
129.7 ft
2012 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
Dual-Sport, Adventure
132.4 ft
2011 Husqvarna TE449
Dual sport
2013 Triumph Truxton
Standard
136.5 ft
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
With ABS
Adventure bike
158.0 ft
2012 Ural Gear-Up
Sidecar
191.5 ft

#378 ·
I bought my FXR after my V-Rod and plan on buying every one I can get my hands on for a steal. I'd ultimately love to own the following H-D's...

My V-Rod
My FXR-T
90-92 FXRS
FXDX
Sportster chop (or 2)

#382 ·
We had the same problem on a buddy's 2004. What we found was that since the caliper pistons do not have dust boots, dust and road crap gets into the piston cylinder and causes the pistons to get sticky. We sprayed PB Blaster into the gap between the cylinder and piston and worked the pistons back and forth until they moved freely (do this with the calipers off the rotors and make sure the pistons don't come all the way out of the cylinders by blocking them with a piece of wood) and then bled the system. That made a huge improvement in his braking.

#383 ·
The only problem I ever had with the brakes on my 06 vrod was the howling from the rear brake. Never had a problem stopping though.

No howling on the FLD brakes and they are more than adequate for me.

#387 ·
All Blow and NO GO!

I was thinking about getting either a Street Glide or an Ultra Glide. Then just the other day I was cruising to work in the carpool lane and noticed a bike looking to get in the lane. I slowed down and he got in (airhead Harley) and just LAID INTO IT...only problem is I still had to slow down cause he was all blow and no go!! That sealed the deal and proves why the Vrod dominates. I realize there are other airhead that have been hopped up that would do better than this guy did...BUT that is the thing, they have to dump a lot of cash to get to the performance that we have out of the box.

So the answer for now is NO, I would not buy another Harley...until I reach the age where the VRod just doesn't make sense anymore.

#388 ·
I would not buy another Harley...until I reach the age where the VRod just doesn't make sense anymore.
Maybe another thread starter?
I'm 59 and the V-Rod still makes sense because it is still a comfortable cruiser, handles easily and brakes well. Is there an age limit to this bike? I think the only limit to the V-Rod would be a physical handicap of some kind.
My $.02.

#389 ·
i dont like harleys. the only reason i bought my v-rod and buell was because, porshe help with the developing of the v- rod and erik buell just knows his shit. if i buy another bike it will be and erik buell racing bike. and yes i would drop $45,000 on his bike instead of spending $20,000 on a harley.

#393 ·
The FJR is one of those bikes that isn't outstanding on paper in any particular performance attribute, but it is a happy combination of engineering compromises that make it an excellent all around bike for a wide variety of uses, from commuting to Sunday back road hoons to weeks long horizon chasing sessions.

#398 ·
I was a fan of the ST11/1300 line up until I found about a terrible safety recall they had that was so pervasive some PD's pulled the bikes from patrol.

#402 ·
For touring I am building a bitsa bike, bits of this and bits of that, all used parts from various year BMW K100s and K1100s. The process started when a complete 50K mile K1100 engine, driveline including the drive shaft and paralever and the frame became available for $1100. Then a complete K100RT fairing, all the parts in excellent condition, landed in my lap for $350 (go price what that stuff costs new). Even has all the little interior trim pieces, bracketry and undamaged mirrors. $50 for a guage set. Found a K100 fork for another $50, and an R100R triple clamp for a couple of hundred (they are becoming unobtainum). That triple clamp is the key to K bike handling because it has reduced offset, giving you more trail and none of the weaves and wobbles K bikes were famous for. I have this same set up on my blue RS and it works great but there is serious machining involved to make it fit.

Expect a K1100 bottom end and drive line, K1100LT front wheel, K1100/R1100RS rear wheel, an early K100 head (oh my), ported for the bigger holes, K1200 throttle bodies but we will use a K100 L-Jetronic fuel injection system tuned for power. The rest of the bike will be early K100RT parts, no ABS and the smaller battery to keep the weight down to 565-570 lbs wet. Figure 110-115 horses at the crank. I have ridden the prototype of this frankenbike and it flies. The early two valve head on the K1100 bottom end is nearly ideal, much better than the four valve head with it's small ports and miniscule coolant circulating through it. The engine runs cooler and will tolerate more power, plus there are hotter cams available for the old two valve head. The 1100 bottom end has extra short slipper pistons and longer conrods, which makes the power delivery ultra smooth and this in turn babies the rest of the drive line. No blown final drives with this set up.

The plan is to build this thing for under $6 grand. It might end up rattle canned satin black. Call it a K1100RT Custom, lol.

#404 ·
After being dead set on building my FXR from the ground-up to be a stripped down hot rod, I've decided I already have one with my NRS, and really need a more touring-esqe bike. The bike was originally a FXR-T, ala full fairing and hard bags. Now the hunt begins to find the original parts... Fairings go for $300-$800, lowers $200-$500, and bags $500-$800... If you can even find em. I totally lucked out and found that a buddy's father-in-law has been sitting on a fairing for years that he stole at a swap meet... Wants $60 for it. Picking it up this weekend. That's 1/3 of the battle. Bags are gonna be a bitch to locate. But when it's done, it's going to be a beast. No frills, just a classic, ground pounding machine that I can still pack up and ride cross country on, popping wheelies till my hearts content. Here's some of my inspiration...

#407 ·
A tech here in Ridgecrest installs Twin Cam engines in FXR frames using the 5 speed gearbox with engine oil reservoir from a bagger, eliminating the in-frame oil tank. I doesn't require a huge amount of cutting and fabrication to do either. He likes the five speed because it is more durable and handles more power than any six speed gearbox he or his customers have run.

Something to chew on this winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.