Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Would You Buy Another Harley (other than a V-Rod)?

28K views 415 replies 120 participants last post by  T-Rod45 
#1 ·
I've ridden all the other model Harley's and would not buy any of them. Am I alone here? Compared to the competition they seemed to me to be a big disappointment. Braking, performance, lean angle, fit/finish, etc., all seemed a bit below average compared to what's out there. I think Harley has turned into more of a marketing machine than a well engineered product. OK, they do look good.

:soapbox:

I'm done now.

#209 ·
There where other reasons for the tariffs. The Big4 were allegedly dumping bikes in the US market for less than cost to gain market share.

I agree these same Big4, all them, have made some huge ugly underpowered motorcycles that don't work well. They are typically only sold in this US market. That says alot.

#213 ·
Never had anyone say it's not HD. 1/2 don’t know what it is and that’s how the conversation starts, the other ½ want to ride it. I point them to the factory backed traveling test ride program. I know some old school guys that ride them and love them; I'm one, also know some that don’t want anything to do with them. Only heard static a couple times, mostly by small mined Richard craniums. I'm blessed with dealerships near and not so near that are Vrod lovers and experts. They get my $ and respect!

#216 ·
no idea how it rides and it will be years i would have thought until i can actually see one in the flesh.
I still think its a stunning looking bike. I would imagine it's like most Harley's compared to our V Rod's, not as manoeuvrable and ok in a straight line.
For me i have always wanted a v and have had to wait 10 years before i own one, i never rode one in those 10 years, it didn't matter, i knew it was the bike for me.
Same with the Breakout, if i had the money and there actually was one in Asia, i'd be in the store now buying it. Still keep my V Rod of course

#222 ·
please than damned "Breakout" looks like a Brazilian Street walker and probably rides just as nice, sloppy.. and not worth the MONEY!!! Build Your Own for $30k
]
And why the hell would anyone expect it to ride or handle any different? Same old schite with some, and I quote: "cake decorations".
But then again, I always say, it's (HD's) more power and handling than 90% or more of you can even handle anyway. And a dollar to doughnuts says everyone who buys it will swear on their fat azzes how good it handles compared to their fatboy or whatever. How much faster too! The mind is a powerful equalizer.

^ I think most of us would agree with you, but has anyone rode it? How does it handle, ride, shift, brake, etc.? Have we become so vain that only looks matter? Are bikers no longer bikers and become fashionistas? What's happening out there?
Again, I will say that the huge majority buys with looks as a huge factor, if not the determining factor. Will they admit it? Hell no. But why bikes only? We buy Cars, houses, clothes, furniture with looks/aesthetics as a must, we approach the opposite sex (well...some) with looks in mind. Why do we need to be professional riders when it come to bikes? Is the street a road course? That phenomena or mindset is as strange as the Harley mystique.

#219 ·
You are NOT alone. Just sold my 2002 VROD. Tank too small and not comfortable enough for long distance rides. HD is one helluva marketing operation. Marketing and customizing departments do all of the work. The engineers have no assignments. My next cycle
(2014) will come from Germany, Italy or Japan.

#225 ·
The 2 on the right look like Billy girls! Nasty....like to look but that’s it. I mean come on...flip flops and fish nets...takes Billy to a new level! Must be headed to the GO GO bar in Amish country. The one on the left looks like my prom date....wow!

#240 ·
When I look at the Breakout I can't help but think that this 730# behemoth has a tiny single sided front break. That front break can't be very effective. Imagine if ala Buell, HD used a disk the size of the full 21" perimeter, they would have achieved a better look by keeping the center hub totally open and enhanced the brake performance. If I can think of that, than HD's engineering/development department is just asleep at the wheel, no pun intended.

It is stupid little tweaks like that could serve to inject the spirit of innovation into their product lines.

#254 ·
What's the point of buying a bike and having it stolen less than a week later? There is not many people with disposable income in DC either (besides congress and lobbyists).

#259 ·
:soapbox: There is a certain percentage that has to be met in order to claim the Made in America toe tag. It is regulated by the Federal Trade Commission. There are loopholes and vague statements to allow for multiple interpretations. Lets say more than 50% of the manufacturing cost must be American. What all can they fit in that "Manufacturing Cost" is up to a group of lawyers and a creative CFO's interpretation. The FTC does not require prior approval to claim the Made in the USA moniker. However, a company must be ready and able to substantiate the claim if such claim is made. I can't find what percentage Harley claims is of American origin and I am not entirely sure they are required to. Link

U.S. content must be disclosed on automobiles and textile, wool, and fur products. There’s no law that requires most other products sold in the U.S. to be marked or labeled Made in USA or have any other disclosure about their amount of U.S. content. However, manufacturers and marketers who choose to make claims about the amount of U.S. content in their products must comply with the FTC’s Made in USA policy.

If you want to buy something truly made in America you are going to have to travel back in time about 60 years.

Globalism has benefits and drawbacks for all. IMO the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Some food for thought: The Honda of America plant in Marysville, Ohio and the Kawasaki Plant in Nebraska both are motorcycle manufacturing plants, not assembly plants. They employ many Americans and put billions of dollars into our economy.

#260 ·
:soapbox: There is a certain percentage that has to be met in order to claim the Made in America toe tag. It is regulated by the Federal Trade Commission. There are loopholes and vague statements to allow for multiple interpretations. Lets say more than 50% of the manufacturing cost must be American. What all can they fit in that "Manufacturing Cost" is up to a group of lawyers and a creative CFO's interpretation. The FTC does not require prior approval to claim the Made in the USA moniker. However, a company must be ready and able to substantiate the claim if such claim is made. I can't find what percentage Harley claims is of American origin and I am not entirely sure they are required to. Link

U.S. content must be disclosed on automobiles and textile, wool, and fur products. There’s no law that requires most other products sold in the U.S. to be marked or labeled Made in USA or have any other disclosure about their amount of U.S. content. However, manufacturers and marketers who choose to make claims about the amount of U.S. content in their products must comply with the FTC’s Made in USA policy.

If you want to buy something truly made in America you are going to have to travel back in time about 60 years.

Globalism has benefits and drawbacks for all. IMO the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Some food for thought: The Honda of America plant in Marysville, Ohio and the Kawasaki Plant in Nebraska both are motorcycle manufacturing plants, not assembly plants. They employ many Americans and put billions of dollars into our economy.
Billions? That's a big number.

#264 ·
pScyko;2376208 said:
...Some food for thought: The Honda of America plant in Marysville, Ohio and the Kawasaki Plant in Nebraska both are motorcycle manufacturing plants,...
No longer true about Honda,they moved those lines back to Japan a few years ago.

Their East Liberty/ Marysville plants are less that 30 miles from my home. East Liberty was the motorcycle plant.

#265 ·
Oops. I extracted that last bit from a paper I wrote a couple years ago. I'm glad to see they repurposed those plant workers though and didn't just fire them. I'm originally from that area too. Merry Christmas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.