Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Does anyone know how to ride and chew gum?

14K views 171 replies 37 participants last post by  Vambo 
#1 ·

]lucky sombich.

"Customized Harley Bagger crash near the Rock Store. Best rider dismount & recovery, he just walked away while bike was still crashing. Very lucky, he was uninjured except just a quarter size spot of road rash on his knee. AKA Harley Street Glide"

"
“Dumbass is lucky he didn’t get road rashed up,” writes Adey. How is it he can crash on The Snake in race leathers, I can crash in everything-but-jeans, but this dumbass, who can’t even wear a DOT helmet, just walks away with no injuries?"

#10 ·
You better go check the specs of a bagger vs. a V-Rod. A bagger has a 33/31 degree lean angle. A Muscle has 33, and a Night Rod Special has 32.

My bagger definitely has a steeper angle than my lowered V-Rod.

So to answer your question... YES!

#11 ·
Definitely a situation where he should have tried hanging off the bike to shift the weight and not dig in...

#5 ·
Probably had a pillion when he set out with that form.

#7 ·
Wow! Talk about lucky! The bike will be totalled. Sure bounced high! He gets an 8 on dismount!

#17 ·
I'll bet it's not totaled. I was actually surprised how little damage it suffered considering how many times it rolled over. Just watching the crash you would think it would have looked like wadded up metal, so I was surprised to see it rolling in the final frames of the video. If the frame isn't badly bent it can be repaired for a lot less than the cost of a new one. Because they are so expensive it is pretty difficult to total one of those.

#14 ·
Wrong bike for the job.

I can't imagine why he didn't back off. Dry road, loads of grip, he didn't panic but used all the clearance he had, he could have just slowed down.

Stupid.

I've already seen this posted on Facebook a million times by my Harley hating friends trying to demonstrate what crud Harleys are.

I get bored of it.

There are two sets of people about, both idiots:

* People who think Harleys are horrid bikes that will kill you the first time you reach a corner. It's nonsense. Harleys are fine if you make some allowances and ride accordingly.

* People who think Harleys are "good bikes". They are not: dynamically they are terrible, from the feeble motors (torque is no substitute whatever for power), via the lousy clearance to the terrible brakes, pausing only for the wobbly handling. The reliability is none too clever either.

Harleys are about enjoying the ride, feeling good, putting a smile on your face. You just have to ease off a bit!

#15 ·
What he did in my opinion is he wanted to "Spark It Up" for the photo opt. I ride this road all the time and see all types do stupid things for the same reason, Harley, Ducati etc... It don't matter.

#16 ·
You'd have to be going some to spark a Duc up around that quite gentle curve :D

Yeah, you may well be right. Even so, and I leave a trail of sparks round those things no trouble, he had grip to spare. If he'd just rolled his big clumsy paw back he'd have been just dandy - the bike was not going to freak out. It's very bad practice to roll off the thottle cranked over, but a Harley has so little clearance that you are dragging way before the chassis is going to turn and bite you if you back off. Crashing it, now that is very bad practice.

9.8 out of ten for the dismount though.

#20 ·
I think this guy can can chew gum ride and roll a smoke. I know I want to build one.hit the link:notworth::notworth::notworth:

#26 ·
Well, he might as well not waste money playing the lottery-- he's used up all of his luck for the rest of his life walking away from that one. If I hadn't seen the video myself, I'd swear that he was going to lose that left leg and have 800 lbs or so of bike flatten him like a rolling pin.

R.

#27 ·
I remember viewing a video clip of a black rider on a bagger at the Dragon. He touched down in a curve and it flip/flopped from side to side. He would have made Mr. Bojangles proud the way he danced, but he never lost it, though it's good no one was coming the other way or it would have been ugly.

#28 ·
Wow this guy is probably the type that thinks he's the best rider on the road. First he is riding the wrong type of bike for this type of riding. The baggers have a good lean angle but not for spirited riding. Its meant to cruise so he was riding to fast. If he was wanting to go canyon carving he was riding a totally wrong bike for it.

#36 ·
I will give him a 9.5!
Awesome dismount, textbook, on his feet and running.

I've always caught hell when mentioning that learning how to dismount a bike and/or lay it down properly is a useful technique. The argument is always that advancement in brake tech make it obsolete. Brakes here? He may have gotten lucky, we'll never know, but he definitely was well aware of what to do and had the right thought process. Been there before maybe?

#37 ·
Dismount technique my aZZ, LOL... He was just lucky being thrown out of the bike like he was, watch the video again. Fine he didn't grab the grips like most would do but at least 80% was luck on the way he fell... Even the sportbike dude at the start seems to be coming out of braking or slowing down, when our bagger stunt man doesn't even slow down or apply any brakes, even when the floorboard scratched the first time...probably didn't knew the course or was trying to keep up with the sportbike... Fool...

#39 ·
Yup. It's easy for us to pass judgement sitting in front of the monitor but in such a situation it's just fractions of a second to react and/or realize "WTF just happened?!?" :eek: in his case it's a "WIN" when you consider how he could have ended otherwise...most of us would end with the handlebars arount our neck and oir butts inside the saddle bags... :hidesbeh:

#44 ·
Actually, I'm not buying that. The crash was caused by too much throttle, it's only a fat, under-powered, wheezy Harley, all he had to do was roll off, it practically happened in slow motion, he had ages to stop doing what was causing it, but he just kept blindly on and on doing it, it was an epic and spectacular cockup and you'd have to be an idiot or drunk or something to do it.

#40 ·
Flipping throught the Rock store photos raises a question. Are most HD touring bike riders 100lbs overweight?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.