Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Does anyone know how to ride and chew gum?

14K views 171 replies 37 participants last post by  Vambo 
#1 ·

]lucky sombich.

"Customized Harley Bagger crash near the Rock Store. Best rider dismount & recovery, he just walked away while bike was still crashing. Very lucky, he was uninjured except just a quarter size spot of road rash on his knee. AKA Harley Street Glide"

"
“Dumbass is lucky he didn’t get road rashed up,” writes Adey. How is it he can crash on The Snake in race leathers, I can crash in everything-but-jeans, but this dumbass, who can’t even wear a DOT helmet, just walks away with no injuries?"

#48 ·
Nice dismount & bike. My theory on a good portion of HD riders being over weight is probably due to the fact that they ride to the first bar they come across, sit down at the bar, order a few dozen wings with a few or more beers to wash them down.

#53 ·
Will I need to make a compendium of all my posts? Here's the summary and it's more or less what anyone will conclude: He never made an effort to slow down, he's probably trying to keep pace with the sportbike in front of him in a 800 bagger, his footrest scraped the pavement (giving him a warning notice already and it was not a whole body jarring scrape) and all he did was trying to shift his weight to compensate. Too proud to slow down in front of the cameras? Well, there's your pride walking away from the wrecked bike... If we're going to judge his "dismounting technique" (if such a thing actually exists) he's got 150 out of 100, if judging his riding abilities, well, look at the bike and give him his grade... The point is to avoid using your "dismounting techniques" using proper "riding techniques", isn't it"??? All he had to do was slow down, not much...

Again, all that occured in a flash as does any wreck or misfortune while riding and it's always easy to judge from this side and not from his, but he was lucky he got spit out of the bike the way he did and like you said, would not amaze me if he has been in a similar situation before, unless any of you had "dismounting techniques" training with the chance of actually wrecking a bike (and yourself) for the sake of "rehearsing it" and getting better at walking away from a wreck like this guy did... :coff:

#58 ·
Mounted police were at one time were all taught the technique of laying it down and dismounting. As I said, with the new brake tech now, it's become obsolete but there are still situations like this one that it can be the difference. And it's definitely a mindset with many riders.
Avoiding the use of these techniques is the ideal play for sure Fab, in an ideal world, but sometimes things can't be avoided and sometimes people go a bit too far without realizing it and sometimes mechanical failure or not the best rubber, slick surfaces/oil on the road can spoil your perfect ride.

#55 ·
100lbs. Over Is 60lbs past obese and considering the charts are now skewed in favor of fat asses that number is being very friendly to them. Being back here in upstate NY for the week made me forget that 9 out of 10 people including their candy eating Pepsi drinking kids are lard asses too

#59 ·
Safe flight back, hopefully it is before Weds' shit storm hits.

Being back here in upstate NY for the week made me forget that 9 out of 10 people including their candy eating Pepsi drinking kids are lard asses too
I laughed so hard I spit espresso on my screen.

pgilliam1 & Big Tony; you have peaked my curiosity, what is your weight limit on "big boned" women?

Is it unlimited?

Do you stop at:

150lbs
200lbs
225lbs
250lbs or

Do you go as big as possible before hitting erectile dysfunction huge?

Do you have a requirement that a chick needs to fit on the back of your bike?

I ask because newer VROD's have a maximum gross vehicle rating of 1,075 lbs and in running order weigh 673lbs. That really only leaves 402lbs for a rider and their passenger; I would not want you to cause some kind of unsafe condition on the road.

#64 ·
As long as they have tig-ol-bitties

( @ )( @ )

and a big smile, I say turn off the lights and have a ball. You'll never regret it or forget it. I have refused rides on my bike though due to size - but just once.

:kiss:
Ah, mate, it is good to see that you did not drop the bar on quality. Otherwise we'd think you were'nt yourself!!

Izat bigenuffurya??

#62 ·
I joke about "big boned" as that's what lard asses usually say why they are over weight......

Or my other I favorite is " I just can't lose any weight" well fuccin stop feeding crap into ur mouth !!!!!!!

Or "I got a slow metabolism" ....yeah wot ever !!!!

#68 ·
I agree with the critique that the rider could have very easily backed out a touch and saved himself a bunch of grief. Not so apparent in that video is the uphill grade in that corner when ridden that direction. It is fairly steep, and rolling off at any point in that corner will drop your speed fast.

Where he got off the corner tightens up a touch, and there is a whoopie in the pavement that has made more than one bike step out a bit if the rider stays in it hard at that point. If you stay in close to the center line, no problem. Get wide there and you might have a problem. This guy did.

#71 ·
Back to topic ... I see someone said wrong bike for the job, I say wrong luck/skill set. I have a friend who takes his Sabre and his RG on the Dragon with no issues ... cuz' he rides in his skill set. The first photo is Jet on his Sabre, the rest are Jet on his RG ... keeping your feet off the pavement is key. (JMHO)

PS I can Ride and Chew Gum ... But I only do so when riding w/o a helmet. It makes my jaw ache to do so with my full face on :) .

#77 ·
Don't go showing them a Road Glide can handle... :bash:

Let them keep on thinking a V-Rod is the only bike that can turn corners.... shame on you! Don't inject no truth on this forum, they can't handle it.

#72 ·
Bottom line: If the rider would have done everything right, he could have saved it.
That said: It's really hard to react calmly with precise inputs when the metal starts draggin and the turn starts to tighten.

Best dismount I've ever seen.

Vambo, the pic goes too far - UHG! No bike could haul that -

#76 ·
Operative word in relation to the original video is "posing."

#83 ·
Of course I do. They both bill themselves as long distance touring bikes. That has BMW Motorrads bread and butter since their first bike in 1923. But in reality the HD product is inferior in every meaningful way (and always has been), except ego gratification. Functionally the HD is among the worst touring bikes offered for sale, but people buy them not because of how well they work but because of image and how they perceive themselves on them.

But if you are serious about long distance riding in all weather on all kinds of roads, not just big flat American freeways, then there are many other choices for touring bikes that are both superior performing, more comfortable and more versatile. BMW wrote the book on sport touring with their RS series bikes, combining near sport bike performance with touring comfort and luggage capacity. No need to tip toe through curvy roads when loaded for a long trip. Now other companies have followed BMWs lead with their own highly capable bikes.

But seriously, something like an R-1200RT of Yamaha FJR-1300 does everything better than a Harley touring bike does, and gives nothing away to the Harley in terms of comfort or luggage capacity. Then you add in the conveniences HD never offers, such as complete tool kits (my G/S tool kit has tire irons, tools for adjusting head bearings and feeler guages for valve adjustments!), tire plug kits, multiple underseat storage cubbies, center stands (and on the flat twins, the bike balances on the stand such that you can remove either wheel for a tire change and it will settle on the other tire, no need for a jack to remove the front tire, on my G/S the bike will sit on the center stand with both tires off the ground), accessory outlets long before HD thought of it and fairings that work better the faster you go and you know the people who designed them do a lot of long distance riding. The big frustration for me with this V-Rod is the lack of storage, helmet lock and center stand. They are inexcusable omissions on a big touring sled.

#82 ·
Race commentators words

Oil spill crew to corner 4.Tappet covers to corner5.Rescue truck to corner 6.

Attachments

#92 ·
Leave it to a guy in the industry to ruin it for all of us ignorant sheep.

#99 ·
If it was in the movies in must be so!!!!:stilpoke:

Not only that but I found pictures on the internet. Snoops has no info on it so I am going with TRUTH, Harley makes the best touring bikes ever without bags or windshields.

#152 ·
I've ridden Road Glides and Electra Glides and they're turds. No steering feel, no feedback into the controls at all, too much unsprung weight lets sharp bumps come crashing through the suspension, rubber mounted handlebars flex if you try to toss the bike around and suck all the fell from the bike. No power for passing, you have to clang down two gears on the six speed to get around traffic, and even then passes take planning compared to what I am accustomed too. It reminded me very much of an old air cooled VW Combi. The only thing they are good for is easing down a big flat boring freeway. Plenty of bikes will do that part as well as any Harley and leave the Harley like a bad habit on any other kid of road. Kludge. I've ridden them and know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.