Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

rear brake failure

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Rich Moran 
#1 ·
Have an 04 VRSCB w/ 8500 miles. brakes worked no pronblem. Parked in my garage for 2 weeks while in Iraq and reurned to find the rear brake and brake light don't work. I have found no leaks or melted wires. Any recommendations?

#2 ·
I would try and bleed it the old fashion way to see if the master cylinder is working.Then do it by vacuum and check again and see if it is pumping.Hows the pedal feel?Look carefully around the brake switch and frame.The fluid runs along the bottom cross member and to the left side of the bike,very hard to spot.It also seems to suck air into the system more than lose fluid.The fluid level looked ok on mine so dont go by that.The switch wasn't designed to be so close to the exaust(heat)and leaks from the terminal connections when it fries.Mine went at 8000 miles.The brake light/pressure switch wont work either if the master cylinder is bad.

#5 ·
The brake light switch may be the culprit.

This is a known problem with the V Rod, where the fluid gets past the hydraulic switch, leaks out and because of the location you do not see fluid anywhere.

If you find this to be the problem be sure to report it to the NHSTB I think it is as this problem is caused (if this is the case with your switch) by defective part used by Harley.

If you go to the dealership and this is th eproblem they will advise "we change these out all the time because they fail".

And yet to date no recall notice to anyone about it.

Recall to harley is a four letter word.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.