Thinking of buying a VROD - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 02-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
VRS1130NightRod
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking of buying a VROD

Hello everyone,

I have always loved the V-Rod soon as it came out.
I am now in the financial position to be able to buy me one but I have a few questions if you all don't mind.
I notice a lot of Vrods for sale lately and started to wonder why that is... anyone got any idea? this cause of the 'crisis' that the HD brand has lost its overall 'value' or are these bike extremely expensive to uphold or something?
I got one spotted, can't post a link yet but here is the intel I got on it.
its from 2012, less then 10k km on it
K&N air filter, airride suspension, special paint, 260 rear tire, indicators in the steeringwheel and "fuel pack" <== no idea what that last one means btw.
VRS1130NightRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #2
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Bikes are no longer in production, and they've been around for almost fifteen years. People move on, stop riding, decide they want something different.

The VRSC platform is absolutely bombproof. Change the oil, do minor scheduled maintenance and the bike will run for 200,000 miles.

"Fuel Pack" is a fuel management system.

R.
USAF: 1989-1997. Desert Shield (Saudi Arabia), Desert Storm (Kuwait, Iraq), Provide Comfort (Kurdistan), Restore Hope (Somalia), Uphold Democracy (Hati), Joint Endeavor (Bosnia), Support Hope (Rwanda). USAFR: 1997-2014. Iraqi Freedom (Iraq), Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan). Retired, Oct. 2014.
flybigjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
Heavens Thunder
Justpassinthru

Like he said IT will Last FOREVER and VERY EASY to take care of .Fuelpak is for DYNO tune exhaust and AIR / Fuel MIXTURE.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
ozzie21
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Reliability...who wants that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Bikes are no longer in production, and they've been around for almost fifteen years. People move on, stop riding, decide they want something different.

The VRSC platform is absolutely bombproof. Change the oil, do minor scheduled maintenance and the bike will run for 200,000 miles.

R.
Yaaaa...who wants a bike that is so reliable right? Certainly not the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. They want you to pay $30-40K+ for something that has built-in weaknesses from the start and just keep paying...and paying...and paying...forever...
I've got a turbo VRSCF and a turbo 120R FLHX. I've got way less than half as much invested in my turbo VRSCF than my turbo 120R FLHX and it's still the more reliable and faster of the two. The FLHX is still fun. It's got more torque, around the same HP and it's got a fairing and bags for storage as well as being better for two-up riding, so it's got it's good points.
Marketing of the V-Rod was totally mismanaged by H-D. If another manufacturer would have brought out the V-Rod it would be one of their best selling models.
ozzie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Ozzie: pictures please, both rides thanks. Time to show off...

OP: a 2012 DX or a Muscle? You`ve checked out both models?
Cant go wrong with a V-rod, "best" Harley ever..!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #6
DarenLine
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post

R.
Yaaaa...who wants a bike that is so reliable right? Certainly not the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. They want you to pay $30-40K+ for something that has built-in weaknesses from the start and just keep paying...and paying...and paying...forever...
I've got a turbo VRSCF and a turbo 120R FLHX. I've got way less than half as much invested in my turbo VRSCF than my turbo 120R FLHX and it's still the more reliable and faster of the two. The FLHX is still fun. It's got more torque, around the same HP and it's got a fairing and bags for storage as well as being better for two-up riding, so it's got it's good points.
Marketing of the V-Rod was totally mismanaged by H-D. If another manufacturer would have brought out the V-Rod it would be one of their best selling models.
I couldn't agree more, except one point: as a company they did the right thing to stop marketing the Vrod! Because the Vrod is exactly opposite of the rest of the Models the company builds, Vrod is reliable, doesn't leak, doesn't vibrate, it's fast, efficient, modern ... So marketing the Vrod may have caused a significant drop in sales for the rest of the models (which as you said brings the company residual income through future repairs and services) ... bravo HD for making the right business decision! Screw ethics! (No wonder recent company sales is declining)
DarenLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
izcain
Registered Full

OP- You will not be disappointed in the Vrod, however you will be disappointed in the lack of support from HD for the Vrod. It was their red headed stepchild that they never want to talk about. Like a bad dream to them. Just make sure that you do your homework and can take care of the bike yourself. Use the forum here also since they are a valuable asset to ownership of the bike. People here will be able to answer any questions you may have.

Don't let anyone discourage you! The bike is awesome!

Harley no longer cares about America as much, They are looking more towards the global marketplace. They have made this abundantly clear.

It will not be today, or tomorrow for that matter. But eventually they will be in serious trouble. The older crowd it getting older and the newer crowd does not want what they have to offer. No one I know that is of the younger generation wants to be on one of their bikes.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

Advice on the actual bike:

1. Learn the differences between the different models before you buy. Changing things like control location is huge $$.. This is the single biggest mistake for new buyers. They get excited and buy, then learn that HD made one they like even better. Then they spend huge $$ making what they bought like the one they want.

2. With a very few exceptions, any mod from stock will have degraded the bike in some way and lowers its value. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, stay away from lowered, air suspended, body mods, controls moved, whatever.

3. With ever tightening enforcement, a stock exhaust along with the bike is almost a must have. Even if it has a pipe installed, don't dig yourself a hole for later.
mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
ozzie21
Registered Full

Pics....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut J View Post
Ozzie: pictures please, both rides thanks. Time to show off...

OP: a 2012 DX or a Muscle? You've checked out both models?
Cant go wrong with a V-rod, "best" Harley ever..!
Here's a few pics. There's more of my Muscle on different posts here on 1130cc.
I've also got a '74 FXE with a Baker 6>4 tranny with overdrive. Probably as good as an old shovelhead can be. Certainly better than it was new in '74 during the AMF period. H-D had basically the same crunchbox transmission for about 45 years. The Baker 6>4 with the Rivera Pro clutch is as they should have been made by H-D. 45 years and they couldn't figure it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 120R Turbo 1.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	497753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plenum & Boost Regulator 2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	468.3 KB
ID:	497761   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160712_131734-2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	497769   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160310_152237.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	561.5 KB
ID:	497777  
Old 02-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #10
izcain
Registered Full

Those are awesome bikes Ozzy!

Makes me wish I had a turbo setup!
Old 02-16-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Ozzie
Oh man, thats some serious work & hours there. Perfectionist. All respect!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #12
ozzie21
Registered Full

Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by izcain View Post
Those are awesome bikes Ozzy!

Makes me wish I had a turbo setup!
if anyone is thinking about performance upgrade options at all and might be on the fence about what way to go, do the turbo. Reliable good power. As long as your don't get crazy with twisting the throttle most of the time you are riding a stock bike. When you want the power it's there, right now. Sounds super cool too. Nothing sounds the same as a turbo. Far as I'm concerned all motorcycles should be turbo charged.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
izcain
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie21 View Post
if anyone is thinking about performance upgrade options at all and might be on the fence about what way to go, do the turbo. Reliable good power. As long as your don't get crazy with twisting the throttle most of the time you are riding a stock bike. When you want the power it's there, right now. Sounds super cool too. Nothing sounds the same as a turbo. Far as I'm concerned all motorcycles should be turbo charged.

Haha I would have to agree with you!
Old 02-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #14
streetrodracer
Registered Full

If I spend $ 10,000 will I be faster than a Suzuki 750 ?

Sorry, I think the Turbos a great power adder and if you are careful you wont blow it up. Ask LL Cool Kurt, he lives it. BUT, you have all the hardware hanging off the right side of the bike. The new superchargers are almost invisible, have arm ripping torque right off the bottom ( Wheelie a 67 Inch wheelbase bike ?! YEA ! ) but to do it right with either internal engine mods are recommended. And either reduces the range of your 3.7 or 5 gallon fuel tank, which already ain't anything to write home about. You can easily spend 100-200 per Hp modifying these engines and if you do it right with internal mods for reliability even more. I chose to go the normally aspirated route, keep the output below 135hp basically cams, heads, new Daytona TT computer and leave it at that. Not trying to be the fastest, that ship has sailed. Just want a great running R Model. The new KTM 1290's Adventure bikes have 135 Hp stock out of the box. Don't know what to else to tell ya - at some point we are just chasing our tail to get max Hp, and still behind.
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #15
izcain
Registered Full

Thinking of buying a VROD

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodracer View Post
Sorry, I think the Turbos a great power adder and if you are careful you wont blow it up. Ask LL Cool Kurt, he lives it. BUT, you have all the hardware hanging off the right side of the bike. The new superchargers are almost invisible, have arm ripping torque right off the bottom ( Wheelie a 67 Inch wheelbase bike ?! YEA ! ) but to do it right with either internal engine mods are recommended. And either reduces the range of your 3.7 or 5 gallon fuel tank, which already ain't anything to write home about. You can easily spend 100-200 per Hp modifying these engines and if you do it right with internal mods for reliability even more. I chose to go the normally aspirated route, keep the output below 135hp basically cams, heads, new Daytona TT computer and leave it at that. Not trying to be the fastest, that ship has sailed. Just want a great running R Model. The new KTM 1290's Adventure bikes have 135 Hp stock out of the box. Don't know what to else to tell ya - at some point we are just chasing our tail to get max Hp, and still behind.

Plenty of threads on here about cams and top end building and how it tore down their mileage also though man. I would be willing to bet that economy wise the turbo bikes fair better then the n/a bike at a steady state cruise. I would also bet they are almost the same mpg as a stock bike if tuned right and just cruised. In boost that is another story.

In the end their all cool. If it has two wheels I like it!
Advertisement