going back to stock muffler / silencer bracket - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCR
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 04-25-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
Tim_H
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
going back to stock muffler / silencer bracket

Hi, I have a question about the standard silencer (UK).

I have a VRSCR that I bought with a side slash exhaust exit that has been fitted to replaced the standard mufflers (US) silencers (UK).

Now although I find the side slash arrangement quite nice sounding, it is extremely loud. After a while this becomes quite wearing, and although I wear earplugs, - the noise becomes quite tiring. I'm using it for a 30 mile commute into London once or twice a week, and would like to soften the noise a bit.

Now, I managed to secure some original silencers from a guy on eBay, and had them delivered. - but I have two questions if I may?

1) Are the standard H-D (88dB printed) mufflers TOO quiet?
2) Although I have the hanger below the pillion footpeg, I do not have the lower bracket, as it didn't come fitted to the bike. - Is this the same as other VRSC models or specific to the R? - either way, I need to obtain a bracket. Can anyone help with that one?

many thanks for your interest,

Tim
Tim_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 04:02 AM   #2
CycleSavage
Registered Full

Garage
I looked briefly at Ronnies HD online and it looks like it's specific to the vrscr. I might have one, I'll look.
CycleSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
-alan-
Registered Full

The standard silencers are fairly quiet Tim. Easy enough to drill some holes in the back plate to increase the noise somewhat if you like though. There was an interesting post somewhere on here which gave details on the change in db versus stock at the rider's position for different numbers/sizes of holes.

edit: here's the link

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthr...led+exhaust+db

Couple of measurements is better than a couple of dozen opinions - all imo of course

Old 04-26-2017, 05:04 PM   #4
Tim_H
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleSavage View Post
I looked briefly at Ronnies HD online and it looks like it's specific to the vrscr. I might have one, I'll look.
Fantastic. Many thanks.

- just Googling RonniesHd.......
Old 04-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
Tim_H
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by -alan- View Post
The standard silencers are fairly quiet Tim. Easy enough to drill some holes in the back plate to increase the noise somewhat if you like though. There was an interesting post somewhere on here which gave details on the change in db versus stock at the rider's position for different numbers/sizes of holes.

edit: here's the link

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthr...led+exhaust+db

Couple of measurements is better than a couple of dozen opinions - all imo of course
I was inkling that they may be a bit quiet, although thats a great help. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

Biggest issue with stock is massive weight. I always thought they sounded pretty good.
mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
At idle ,they sound like a sewing machine. When you get into the higher rpms, they do sound nice.

"Nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently motivated fool."

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just don’t give a shit.”

H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #8
Tim_H
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
Biggest issue with stock is massive weight. I always thought they sounded pretty good.
Never heard standard - but agreed - that's about 10 Kilos there.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:32 AM   #9
CycleSavage
Registered Full

Garage
Found it Tim, I'll try to get to the post office tomorrow and figure out the shipping cost.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
CycleSavage
Registered Full

Garage
Tim, the shipping would be $66.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #11
nburton
Registered Full

Re

Tim,

I'm in the same boat. I just purchased my first VRSCR that had some non-baffled mufflers on them; they also were turning gold due to the fact that it wasn't tuned to them. I'm pretty confident the previous owner had a slow lay-down and trashed the OEMs.

I purchased a set of these OEM mufflers on eBay and it almost looks like I can get this to work without needing that bracket. The top muffler has a welded bracket that looks like it can fasten straight to the hole on the right passenger footpeg, and then the two mufflers bolt together on the bike-side. It seems like it would be pretty solid without the bracket. These also give it a pretty nice look!

-Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File_000.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	504033  
nburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #12
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Just so you know,those are the "Hollow-point" accessory mufflers Harley offered for awhile.

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just don’t give a shit.”

Old 05-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #13
nburton
Registered Full

Re

Thanks, H-D! I wasn't sure on the exact name on those. I knew they weren't the ones that typically come on the VRSCR.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

The truth be told,I really don't think they're any different from the DX mufflers other than being "shiny".

Though IIRC, H-D did claim some improvement in sound.But that may have just been "marketing".

Old 05-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #15
nburton
Registered Full

Man, I'd like to know what the DX mufflers sound like then. These hollow points are way too quiet in my opinion. I am thinking about doing some drilling to them.

-Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement