Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Rear tire nightrod special 2009

17K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  chunhee 
#1 ·
What is the maximum rear tire width I can install on the stock swing arm ? Is it the 280 or can I go to the 300

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#2 ·
280 on stock rim

#5 ·
Either way your going to pay more money for 280 when it only cups and makes the tire 1/16 of an inch on each side bigger then the 260. Meaning you really can't notice a difference so I suggest sticking with the 260. 280 wheel on the stock rim is not a true 280.

#7 ·
If you see the 280 off the rim and on the rim there is a huge loss of wideness. It makes no sense to have a 280 on a stock rim besides bragging rights.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Motorcycle.com Free App

#10 ·
You are correct. Off the rim the 280 looks massive but once its squeezed on there isn't a lot of difference between that and the 260.
I needed to replace my worn out 260 so went for the 280 as it was only slightly more expensive.
The original poster asked what was the biggest you could fit on the stock rim and the answer is the 280
Here is my 280...:dance:

#8 ·
I read a lot on this issue here on the forum - I decided to go with a Metzler 260 - no problem in getting it onto the stock rim at all. The 260 appears to be as wide as a 280
I do not think that there is much diff in the two at all.

Also went with a new Metz on the front - handling is Superb!

#9 ·
:them:

#11 ·
The pic with the dog is a 260

the white v-rod is a 280.

Hope you see what I mean. You save $40 bucks but it's $40 bucks. plus it doesn't culp in which could cause issues but so far I have hear that only once.

Attachments

#16 ·
I will admit any big tire is perfect. Whether it be a 260 or 280. To each their own but just stating the facts. Go for whichever.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Motorcycle.com Free App

#22 ·
In Holland & Germany the max width you can put on the stockwheel and still have the official approval/certificate from Pirelli (=Metzeler) is their 260 Metzeler Marathon tire.

I went for the Metzeler 300 but had to widen the swingarm and running a 10,5" rearwheel.

Attachments

#27 ·
Rizoma plate Holder

hi

can you tell me where I can buy the license plate holder please, and does it fit the VRSCF Muscle? Rozoma's website does not appear to offer this part and I cannot find anywhere?

I live in south Korea OEM parts are not easy to get here so any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

Alan

#24 ·
A crisp new 280 before taking a sledge hammer, sawzall, and grinder to accommodate the MS-Biketec goodies :eek:

Var

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.