Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

V-Rod riders are Squids

15K views 105 replies 54 participants last post by  Vambo 
#1 ·
Huh? I was informed today by a few buddies that ride I with that most Harley riders don't consider Vrods real harleys. Also, I found out that the majority of V-ROD owners are new to riding and buy there vrod as there first bike for the cool factor. I will say this is my first Harley but coming from sportbike racing, I wanted to have a smoother transition by getting a VRod than going to a full blown cruiser. Is this true all true? If it is I give a rats ass cause I really like my V-Rod. :D

#2 ·
The Cool Factor was the 1948 Panhead Duo Glide I had 40 yrs ago...:notworth: My Vrod has the WOW Factor:moped:
TYVM Darrel Sheets! :angeldev:

#3 ·
I don't give a F what other airhead owners have to say. The same goes for those V-Rod owners bad mouth the Muscle. I also come from sport bikes and choose something that still has power, handle quite well, can brake and doesn't leak oil from every possible spot. Rant ended lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#9 ·
I still paid the "Harley" full price for mine then!! :banghead::soapbox::chair: :moped:

#10 ·
First bike for me. I'm new to owning, been riding since the 70's. I definitely bought it for the cool factor. But if there was no ABS, liquid-cooled, and dozen other features, there's no way I'd bring it home!

#11 ·
Just remember, people always talk shit about things that make them jealous. I find it funny when people point out the flaws on all my toys.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

#13 ·
I think you're mixing genres. I rode all the "cruisers" and the V-Rod was the best overall (cool - WOW - handling - braking - etc.). When you say "full-blown cruiser" I think you're meaning "touring" and that goes to the Goldwing, although the K1600 BMW is very close.
Ride what you like - like what you ride!

#41 ·
Most of the people I know refer to Dynas,Softails and such as cruisers, for just cruisin around. Glides, Aspencades, BMWs are tourers.

#14 ·
I thought a "Squid" was a young person on a very powerful bike they cannot handle Such as a Busa, Duc 1198 etc..?
I saw the 2002 and said "I like that bike, I am going to buy one" so I took some cash and got one. Does that constitute "Wow" factor? What I consider "Wow" factor are idjits who finance motorcycles and things such as that for several years, Thats "Wow' to me.

#17 ·
What I consider "Wow" factor are idjits who finance motorcycles and things such as that for several years, Thats "Wow' to me.
That's one consideration but with interest rates at 1.49% I'd be inclined to hang onto the cash and allow the banks to take on the lending risk.

/ These insufferable squids and their damn Triumphs think they've got the world by the tail.

#21 ·
I received an offer from Patriot HD for 1.7 last week in my email.

#103 ·
Willie G did a great job on this bike.

On a visit to So Cal HD, I got Willie G to sign my airbox cover this spring. I told him I wanted one the first year they came out, but couldn't afford it ... bought used 04 this Jan with 1850 miles & I stole it! He mentioned that he loved the engine, "It's like a turbine, it keep getting stronger as it loads up, no dead spots in the power band."

I also got a pic of him signing the bike so it's legit! :D

My brother ran with a couple of MC clubs in the 80s & 90s ... has the parole record to prove it. He was thrilled that I bought a V-Rod for the price I did. He's got a 57 Shovel/Pan Trike, 78 Electra, 2003 Anniv & a 46/47 project HD in the garage. His is the only real respect I need.

I bought the V-Rod for the way it rides, the engine, the forward controls & cuz it's water cooled ... most HD air cooled bikes can't ride well in the summer heat down here. You see them parked along the HOV lane waiting to cool down.

#26 ·
Real. Fast. Harley.
Friends who might tease you have to....you can simply roll away. What can they say? That vrod is just. too fast? Disgusted at how cool it looks. put off how it draws a crowd? Had a guy today ask if it was new, and when did they come out? All I know is how much I love mine.

#28 ·

#52 ·
My HD IS FAKE!

:them: Nicely put!

SvFiat's squid link... No squids in my group... IF I ride with minimal protection, THEN it must be a four mile round to pick up my prescription...

No, it won't hurt less if I crash close to home, but I love riding by the dozen or so HD et al cruisers/tourers parked curbside at a nearby storefront. This is a little strip less than 1/4 mile long with a side street traffic light that cuts it in half. Those airheads need to get a good look at me and my F(ake HD) as I slowly go by! My M109 friend tells me he knows it's my bike when I'm near his house because of the distinct V&H sound. They hear me coming at least 20 seconds before turning the corner to come into view... If they call me a squid, I gotta call them haters as they see me on my Functionally And Kinetically Enhanced HD VRSCF!

#32 · (Edited)
Anyone riding is up on the cage jockey irrespective of the ride including pushbikes. That being written having owned over 8 versions of harley, i moved to the rod simply because on open highways on a HD deluxe special for example was pounded by the wind, not comfortable after an hour riding, breaking/weight in mountain rides etc. Now with some mods i even have fun with the rice rockets (i mean fellow riders). In conclusion, those with closed views on this subject should just ride instead of blowing wind with the flapper

#33 ·
Damn i've been had...my bike has Harley Davidson on the airbox cover and now I find out it's not a real Harley..:wazzup:

#37 ·
Squid

This pretty much defines what a "squid" is >

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squid

As for being a Vrod F owner, as far as I'm concerned it's the best bike HD makes. I usually find myself as the only Vrod in the parking lot at most of the HD dealers I frequent. I just love the comments I get when I pull away from all my airhead buddies like their tied to a bridge............ Some people never learn. :)

#40 ·
This pretty much defines what a "squid" is >

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squid

As for being a Vrod F owner, as far as I'm concerned it's the best bike HD makes. I usually find myself as the only Vrod in the parking lot at most of the HD dealers I frequent. I just love the comments I get when I pull away from all my airhead buddies like their tied to a bridge............ Some people never learn. :)
Same here.....

sent from my phone...you sissies

#39 ·
Love mine. Our riding group has all kinds of bikes, one guy bought the 10 year anniversary vrod this summer, he also has Kawasaki cruiser and an Eliminator. Touring guys always ask when I'm getting one like thiers - I say never.
Made at Harley plant in Kansas City, Missouri, right along with Sportster and Dyna. all must not be Harley's.

#42 ·
"blowing wind wiff da flapper"?? thats a good one! ;-)

#44 ·
This guy was a squid, riding drunk,rear ends a car at high speed. :

..."Ariel Ballesteros, 38, of 401 Colton Avenue, Bellefontaine, was indicted for aggravated vehicular assault (F3), improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle (F4), and two counts of OVI (M1).

On September 13th, a two-vehicle injury accident on Route 33 near Zanesfield closed the highway for several hours.

The Marysville Post of the State Highway Patrol responded to a motorcycle/SUV crash on 33 just east of County Road 10 around 12:30 a.m.

Troopers report that a westbound 2011 Harley-Davidson VRod driven by Ballesteros rear-ended a '99 Honda CR-V operated by April Smith, 59, of 10235 State Route 638, Belle Center.

The motorcycle went off the right side of the road and overturned.

The CR-V traveled across the median, overturned, and came to rest upright in the southeast lanes of 33.

Ballesteros, who was not wearing a helmet, was transported to Grant Medical Center by MedFlight.

Smith was transported to Mary Rutan Hospital by Robinaugh EMS.

Her passenger, Jill Woods, 59, of 109 East Main Street, Belle Center, was flown to Grant Medical Center by CareFlight.

The westbound lanes and one southeast lane of 33 were closed for three hours."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.