Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

whats the best exhaust for hp gains?

6K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  AndyV 
#1 ·
I just bought my 2008 vrod and what to get the biggest gains when i buy my exhaust. i dont care about how loud they are or what they look like. I am sure this question has been asked alot. but I am new on here and could only find opinions.

#2 ·
Stock.
Everyone talks about horsepower gains from pipes and a tune, then they attribute the gain to the pipe. Everything I've ever seen points to the gain coming from the tune.

The only thing I've ever seen that could be considered a semi-valid test were a few people here that were at a dyno shootout. Two or three posted, and they said the bikes with stock pipes made the most horsepower.

With that said, the 2 into 2 pipes kill horsepower. Beyond that, buy whatever you like.

The reality is that there isn't much you can do to get more out of a V-Rod. A good tune helps a lot, beyond that, cams will get you another 10 to 15 ponys. If you want big horsepower you need to go big bore or forced induction.

#10 ·
If you're worried about gas mileage, you better leave the bike stock. Any cams, pipe and tuner you add is going to decrease your mileage anyway because you'll be riding more aggressively enjoying it.

#6 ·
thanks for the input. this is my first harley so i did not know which direction to go. i defintly need pipes on this bike though. my bike sounds like a prius. ha ha. its just sad. i have the vance and hines fuel pak already. picked it up from a friend cheap. i was thinking about running the vance and hines competition exhaust. does anyone know of some one running this exhaust, and how did they like it.

#11 ·
The best exhaust for HP would be the one made by Trask :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.