Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Cold Weather Gear/Over Pants

4K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  flybigjet 
#1 ·
Looking for a good pair of "over pants" to wear now that the weather is getting colder. Looking for something that I can pull on easily over jeans/dress pants for those early morning rides to work.

Thanks

Brent

#2 ·
I use insulated overalls. Warm as hell. Probably not what you are looking for, but just throwing it out there. Very easy to get on and off w/zippered sides.

#3 ·
purchase a set of insulated jeans,i would suggest a size or 2 bigger so you can comfortably wear reg. jeans or riding pants underneath.

#4 ·
I see many people wearing the Over suits, Mostly BMW riders as they seem to ride no matter what the weather.

The BMW CoverAll one-piece makes it easy to ride your motorcycle to the office, into town or anywhere the you need to show up in"normal" (business) wear. Light, but designed for safety, it's waterproof protection against inclement weather. Perfect for a daily commute from home to work are because it can be donned and removed is fully easily.
The BMW CoverAll Suit is comfortable! It's wide-fitting, not tailored for a body-hugging fit, belted with Velcro at jacket waistline and collar and closures for width adjustment. Enables a rider to don the suit over normal clothing, even a complete business suit. Features side zippers for adjusting the fit and leather inserts at closures and straps to ensure wear comfort and convenience. Front zipper and two side zippers from hip to cuff make the suit easy to put on. The waist adjustable by straps at the sides. Double-thickness pant seat protects the entry zone as the wearer dons the suit

Sizes, Colors
Unisex Sizes: XS-XXXL BMW - specific size chart Available Colors: Black

Material:
3-layer laminate of Cordura®500, climate membrane and calendar-coated liner.
Inside pockets mesh lining.
Protectors:
Very light SC protectors made of visco-elastic foam material at shoulders, elbows, hips and
knees (adjustable to 2 height settings)
Protectors have very good impact-absorbing properties, certified to DIN 1621.
NP ProAir back protector can be retrofitted to back pocket.
Protector pockets are welded to the fabric, not stitched.
Visibility:
3M® reflective prints on shoulders and back.

Other Co's also make them, like this First Gear:

New for Fall 2010 another smart product from FirstGear providing value to the rider who wants the benefit of a one-piece riding suit without having to make the $1000+ investment required by some other brands. The Expedition Suit is a 1-piece waterproof breathable oversuit meant to keep you comfortable in all hardcore riding conditions or if you are commuting to work. Utilizing many of the technical features of the TPG line of products, the Expedition is a great option at a reasonable price for the avid rider who likes the ease of in and out and the added flexibility of a 1-piece oversuit.
EXPEDITION SIZING NOTES: The Expedition Suit is meant to be an oversuit with room for layers to be added as temperatures dip. Use your jacket size for reference when deciding. The Knee Armor is adjustable 3-4 inches up and down and 2-3 inches left to right. For reference the Large Expedition Suit fits someone who is anywhere from 5'9" - 6'3" depending on their weight due to the adjustability in height. In the summer months, the suit will fit much more loosely than the winter due to extra room for base layers.
Firstgear Expedition Suit
Generously sized to wear over your clothes
Waterproof/breathable outer shell made of 600 denier poly
Maximum air circulation created by 10 vents–2 chest with cord locks, 2 thigh, 2 arm pit, 2 sleeve cuff and 2 back vertical–all protected by YKK® rubberized zippers to help keep out the elements
2 front chest Dry Pockets protected by YKK® rubberized zippers under an envelope flap and secured by hook-and-loop to limit intrusion of moisture
2 front side welded pockets with exposed YKK® rubberized zippers to keep out moisture
2 front, side pass-through pocket holes for internal access, protected by YKK® rubberized zippers
Fully adjustable CE approved armor in the shoulders, elbows and knees
Padded hip protectors
Ankle to above knee side zip for easy on/off, protected by exposed 2-way YKK® rubberized zipper that rests above an internal double storm flap with rain gutter to keep out moisture
Internal storm cuff with silicone grip and elasticized for a snug fit to keep moisture from traveling up pant leg
RiRi® 2-way main zipper built with 2 rows of teeth and rubberized to seal out moisture; just below the surface is a double storm flap with rain gutter to divert any moisture
Crotch, front/back of knees and back of waist inlayed with stretch panels that are waterproof/breathable Fully adjustable waist belts for a custom fit
Integrated into the collar is an under-the-helmet rain hood to keep water from running down your neck
Front collar has an adjustable slide snap–when collar is open, fold the tab back and hook in place to avoid wind flap
Reflective tape for night visibility
2-year limited warranty

#7 ·
Another cheap effective option is nylon snow bibs. They slide on easy, are made for cold weather and wearing something under it, and you can roll them up small when its warmer on the ride home. I had a nice pair from Bass Pro Shop, they were their own brand but $70 bucks. Took them to my neighbor who sewed some leather on the inside of the leg to keep the nylon from melting on the pipe. Target and other big box stores may have some even cheaper.

#8 ·
The CARHARTTS are decent, a little cumbersome but do the job. I have a set of my MARINE CORPS gortex top & bottoms. Say on a dry winters day APPRX. 20 deg., 1st layer is UNDER ARMOR; top/bottom, 2nd insulated jeans, 3rd gortex bottom or heated gear under the insulated jeans.

#9 ·
I wear an insulated leather jacket and lined leather overpants and heated textile gloves. I've ridden for 3 hours in the high 30s with this setup and only a windvest shield.

#14 ·
Aerostich AD1 pants.
Aerostich roadcrafter light suit.
Work perfectly,
Worth every penny. I love mine, and 8 years later, still waterproof.
Add electric heated liner, ride all year.

#16 ·
I've got a pair of icon denim insulated pants size 36 that are too big for me. Worn once and washed to see if they would shrink... they didn't. I got them as a gift and had no where to return them. They are yours if you want them. Just pay shipping.

#18 ·
I've got three pair, some simple Cortech Overpants, which have padded knees and hips, a couple thigh vents and are water proof but not thermal insulated.
I've got an older HD pair that are insulated but not water proof.
And I've got a Tourmaster Caliber pair that has zip out thermal lining, are padded, and water proof. Only bad thing about them though is there's a spot which can melt on the V-Rods pipes.
Overpants are worth while expense and investment in safety and comfort.
Things to look for is ease of on-and-off, protection from elements wet and or cold and road rash. Price can be a consideration but generally I've found that when you find something you like you buy it anyway.
I ride with alot of "cruiser" types, the weekend wanna be bikers that leather up for the look. Quite honestly chaps as compared to a good pair of overpants bite.

#21 ·
A little pricey maybe, but I picked up a pair of HD FXRG leather pants on sale, and I gotta say, these things are awesome. I've ridden in sub-freezing weather, without a windshield on my VROD, and my legs were toasty warm. I used them all last winter with no issues.

Plus, while they have a couple zippers in the thigh, they have almost no ventilation, so you'd think they'd be too warm to wear when things warmed up a little, but actually that little ventilation is pretty effective, because I can wear them comfortably all the way up to the high 80s. After that, I have a pair of Joe Rocket mesh pants I wear. (I ride to work, and have to wear overpants, because my work pants are highly allergic to the hot exhaust pipe, and tend to melt if I stray too close.)

#22 ·
I got a pair of these last spring and they've been great.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...ldsheer/slip_on_textile_motorcycle_pants.html

I slip them over jeans or khakis for the morning commute to work, and they're easy on & off. I've worn them down to 35* and my legs are not cold at all with just regular pants and these over top. They're not overly thick or bulky feeling either. And I think I only paid like $75 locally at Shade Tree. Now I just need warmer gloves, or heated grips, cuz my hands get cold long before anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.