Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Can you guess what models where made by

4K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  MagicGLI 
#1 ·
The new guy at Triumph who used to be HD employee?
While wandering around the Bike show last month one of teh Triumph people stated that "Yeah theres a guy who used to work at HArley now doing stuff for Triumph" and said it in a "We wish he wasnt" tone.
I didnt look at them until I visited my local dealership the other day.
I would give you a hint but it would seem unfair.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
They all do it sooner or later. However, that tank, that set-up, that look has been done and redone since before the "designer" was born, with the exception of the dual head lights.

Ironically, the first, the 57 Sportster was a bit of a rip-off of Triumph.

#6 ·
lookalike fatbob, softtail gauges, they all copy one another now buy a Victory lol

#7 ·
Request for the "Designer"

I will always welcome more choices of more bikes (even Chinese?), and I'm eternally grateful for the survival of Triumph, but they don't need to design another ersatz Harley, they need to find a designer to remove that unfortunate chrome tumor from the left side of the Rocket's tank.

Congratulations too to Lux for selecting a Triumph that embodies the original heritage of the mark. More pictures of that one please.

#10 ·
I will always welcome more choices of more bikes (even Chinese?), and I'm eternally grateful for the survival of Triumph, but they don't need to design another ersatz Harley, they need to find a designer to remove that unfortunate chrome tumor from the left side of the Rocket's tank.

Congratulations too to Lux for selecting a Triumph that embodies the original heritage of the mark. More pictures of that one please.
I have a Speed Triple and can attest to Triumphs building better bikes than ever. I want to ride the Rocket III (yeah, paint the chrome tumor on the tank - maybe the new roadster doesn't have that). Has anyone here rode the Rocket and what did you think? On topic though, Harley has had nice styling all along and no doubt their styling will be immitated. What won't be immitated is their lack of technical innovation which leads to average ride, braking and handling (except the V-Rod of course).

#8 ·
Yeah, I don't know how well they're selling but the Triumph Thunderbird (major yawn) really seems a waste to me. Besides not even being an attractive bike I think they missed the market they were aiming at. I can't see anyone buying a mega displacement parallel twin. To be really successful a motorcycle, or other vehicle, needs to have character and the T'bird is just a bland souless lump of metal. Rather than charcter, it's a caricature of a motorcycle.

Just as I still believe HD missed major market opportunities in making a true Sport Touring Revo, I think Triumph built potentially the best large displacement long range touring bike, Rocket 3, then dumbed it down to make it look like a limited duty cruiser. Could be a true Goldwing beater.

Overall I like what Triumph has accomplished and the products they're building. The Sprint, Tiger and Speed/Street Triple models are fine bikes. And while the Bonneville based models are intentionally retro, and a couple of them real yawners, the Scrambler and Thruxton have real character and a growing following.

#14 ·
I test rode a Rocket III many years ago, left me with a Impression alright, I don't ever want to ride one ever again impression. I dont get the Big Heavy bike "Thing", The Asian bikes that copy HD are all Very big and heavy for some reason, make the HD's they are coping look skinny.
This Triumph is a weird bike, cannot say I like it, Cannot say I love it, would I ever buy it? No, not even sure I would want to ride it. has some things about I do like, which makes it better then Any Victory bike on the road. Their Tiger line up Really borrows Heavily from BMW styling too which I found Really surprising.

#17 ·
has some things about I do like, which makes it better then Any Victory bike on the road.
Funny you should mention Victory. Their Hammer was my second choice after the V-Rod. I'm just thinking down the road (maybe when I'm 65-70) I'd like a big tourer and the Electraglides don't do it for me. The Rocket might just fit, but I'll have to ride it and see. It's a riders dream to see all the new stuff coming out though.

#22 ·
I had a Rocket III for nearly 4 years.

In STD form i wouldnt rave about bike and its handling just like most dont about any STD V Rod, but do your customary mods and you start to get the feel for it and once use to it really fall in love with the bike.

Torque wise you wont find another bike on market to touch it, was simply awesome, as it should be with its 2300cc.

Brakes i thought were lacking and seat was woeful.

I upgraded mine of course with many mods and it became a 160 HP comfortable fast and nice handling bike.

As for the Chrrome tumour well most modders have 3 K&N filters hanging off there injectors and soon that gets trimmed to a form fitting chrome cover of a tough looking set of filters hanging off the side :dance:

#23 ·
Aside from the drive chain (needs belt drive) the Sprint ST is a brilliant bike. Great, charismatic engine, comfy and decent hard luggage while staying nimble and fast. I would be more interested to test ride the Trophy SE than any of their cruisers.

#27 ·
Yeah thats about the most custom one about but i believe that was built in a build off comp that they had to ride to the event and think it failed to make it.

Thats going to the extreme but there are many examples out there with good looking intake and filter set ups.

#29 ·
It may have been Heavy Duty BT

The bike is about 5 years old im suree been around a while

#41 ·
You are correct, they take something "Good" and bastardize it into its simplest form to attract the lowest common denominator with the cash in pocket, create the "Bolt On" universe and make people think they are "Individual" for doing so. We have seen some really great bikes on this forum, we have also seen some pure Shite that makes one think "Why the Hell did you buy this bike if that was your intention to do to it"?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.