Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

6 Speed Transmission revisited

46K views 153 replies 61 participants last post by  streetrodracer 
#1 ·
Ok, I know there are alot of posts on 6 speed transmissions for the Vrod, but I have a question for you more knowledgeable types. I did a google on 6 speed transmission for vrod and it took me to jpcycles.com to a generic right side 6 speed transmission. Just wondering if this would work on a 2011 Nightrod Special? Would be nice to know before I spend close to $1k.

#121 ·
Hello, i'm Peter from Hungarian and i need more information for 6 speed. My friend said: Ktm duke 990's 6 speed transmission is perfect for my nightrod special, ktm duke 990 is too rotax engine and the transmission first 5 ratio is egal with the revolution engine, but the ktm 990 has 6 speed transmission. So please your help, thanks.

#122 ·
Forget about it. There are no six speeds available that will fit within the engine cases. It ain't happening.

#124 ·
Life's Hard!

I mean really, the bike's been out for 10 years, if a 6 speed was viable, someone would have made it by now.

#126 ·
The folks at Baker told me it could be done, but they didn't pursue it, because they don't think they'd sell enough units to make it worth doing. Mostly because you have to tear the engine down completely to swap that out. I asked how much it would cost to get to a working trans, they said about $30k. So I started these two threads, to see if there was enough interest to make it worth finding investors, etc, and getting Baker to build them. At 100 units, thats $300+ per unit. At 300 units, it's down to $100+/unit, plus whatever it costs them to produce it, and a reasonable profit for them. Once it's through prototype, it's just another gearset to them, and easier, as they don't need to fabricate a case.
With well over 50,000 VRSC bikes out there, I'm pretty sure someone could move at least 1000 units. Unfortunately, most of the feedback I'm getting on here is negative. So I've just kind of resigned myself to the fact that it's not gonna happen. Whatever. That little whisper in the back of my head still says,"Imagine what you could do with an intercooled turbo Fitz motor, quicker 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, leave 5th more or less where it is, and overdrive 6th pretty good." Gain a bunch, sacrifice nothing. I've had people come up with tons of reasons why it won't work, all based on stock bikes. Who cares? They aren't the people I was looking for in the first place. Had people ask me why I didn't sell my scoot and buy a crotch rocket, and other stupid comments. I've had wheelie bikes. I want to build a V-Rod that will behave ridiculously when I want it to, yet I can still ride reliably from Michigan to Texas or California. I didn't buy a garage ornament, and I love racing people on bikes that should, on paper, smoke me, except they're operated by people who can't launch or shift what they are riding. I want to take that same scoot, and ride it across the country. I can't be the only one... Surely there are a few hundred V-Beast Pilots out there that think like I do....

#127 ·
I would love to have a six speed. I did not think it was possible. But if Baker is willing to produce this then I am definitely interested.

#128 ·
I'm not trying to throw salt on this, but they were contacted I believe back in about 2007 by another member and was told the same thing. A major hurdle is getting 300 members who wish to spend the money for the gearset AND have it installed. You're now talking about people spending a couple of grand each to have it done. While it "looks" like there are 47,000 members, the truth is, there are less than 500 "active" members. The vast majority of members don't log on, and most no longer do.

I seriously doubt that no more than 50 people are willing to spend the money for a 6th gear.

#129 ·
I am completely lost have any of you actually seen inside a VRod engine case, primarily where the transmission is housed? There is no room what so ever for an additional gear, the only humanly possible way would be to make all of the other 5 gears narrower so you can squeeze one more gear on each shaft. Plus a new shift drum would have to manufactured along with shift forks.

At the end of the day I am here to tell you that the only way this will ever happen is if HD takes the ball and develops it themselves, which we all know aint happening seeing they barely recognize us as is. :)

#130 ·
Exactly. Don't understand why this question keeper coming up every few months, year after year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#134 ·
Why not a 8 speed DSG?

#135 ·
They could make a 6 speed that would fit into the cases, but why ?? I would be happy if someone would make a straight cut 5 speed so I could get rid of that power robbing thing we have… these bike make so much torque all you need to do is change your final gear. my busa dragbike made 262hp on motor with not much more torque then some all you have now,,, that needed every gear you could give it...

#141 ·
6 speed for over drive be good for cruising on open roads, trouble is riders only do trips on rare occasions, I ride 370km each way to shops so it be worth it to me

#147 ·
I have my transmission apart and I'm currently changing the shift actuator in my 03 V-Rod. The question is I noticed that my dog years are a little bit rounded and I'm wondering do I need to switch these out? They seem to be a little bit rounded on the second and third gear. The problem with my bike is it slides out of gear into neutral.

#148 ·
I'm changing the shift actuator on my 2003 Harley Davidson V-Rod. The question I have is do I need to replace the dog gears because they're slightly rounded? They seem to be slightly rounded on 2nd and 3rd gear. The gears themselves look good but the dog gears are a little bit rounded. The problem I'm having with my bike is it pops out of gear into neutral when I'm riding.

#151 ·
I just happen to know a gear manufacturer who makes gears for all the Superbikes , Mercedes Benz, Electric cars and has worked for the big 3 auto manufacturers in this country. He is a genius in this field and i was supposed to make a Superbike for China which I did however, since Xi Jinping has become the new leader, the atmosphere has changed but not out of question. I will try to contact my friend and ask what the lead time for creating the gears. He told me 4 weeks when I was in China a number of years ago. I also would like to have my V ROD MUSCLE Supercharged with a 6 speed. I really wouldn't be surprised if he was making the gears for VH.

#152 ·
I also would like to have my V ROD MUSCLE Supercharged with a 6 speed.
The 6 Speed will never happen bc it's horrendously expensive to try to fit another gear into a five speed gearbox - all other gears must be reengineered some made of premium steel and heat treating since they're more narrow compared to 5 speed gears - plus shift drum and shift forks must all be redesigned, manufactured, tested and manufactured. Ask Yamaha - when they did it with the FJR, then second gear was breaking and had to redesign that. All you need is a 30 tooth fwd belt pulley I put one on my N/A Street Rod and it drops the Rpm 250-300 at 75 Mph, is now geared for 160 Mph your S/C Muscle will probably pull that speed easily - what more do you really want ? Cheap $ 200 Steel pulley plus a $ 250 belt ( if you can't push the wheel far enough forward for stock belt to work ) so if you need more than that commission a half million dollar V Rod R & D 6 speed project but really it's absolutely not needed - (y):cool: