Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

highest mileage tire

8K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  knight rod rob 
#1 ·
I,ve heard the Metzler is softer than the Dunlop and wears faster, Is this true ,what about Avon and Pirelli ?Who has experiences with these on the 240 rear?

#2 ·
I've run Dunlop, Metzeler, & now Pirelli. I prefer Pirelli's grip & performance over the other two, with Dunlop being the lowest performer for handling. Longevity goes to Dunlop IMHO, but grip and handling are more important to me than life cycle.
That being said, 5k miles on the Pirellis and they still look like they have another 5k or more in them

pop over to the suspension section of this forum and you will find at least 200 threads regarding this same question

#3 ·
I've got 11k on my Metzler 880's. I am getting another set, of the same, this week!

#4 ·
My brother runs some weird style cruiser tire from Michelin that gives him 20,000 miles from the rear.The compound is so hard I have to keep the bike straight up and counter steer around corners so it doesn't slip out from me.
I get about 11.000 miles out of the 240's on the ass end of my 03 V-Rod and about 2000 miles on the 260's on the X.The difference is in the way I ride.

#5 ·
IF I had two bikes, I could see using one strictly for my long commutes/highway runs and using hard tires, while keeping the other bike set up for handling.
Even then I just don't like compromising handling quite that much.

#6 ·
I get 15-18k (rear) on Cobras. I got 30k+ on the front. I had to replace it due to age, not wear.

#8 ·
The Metzler 880's are traditionally a harder compound tire. Thats why the cruiser/touring guys like'm,cause they tend to last longer. The Michelin mentioned is the Scorcher I believe(no experience with it). Avons are good for grip and so so on tread life. Dunlops wear fast and are picky about running proper pressures. No experience with Pirelli's . I for one would rather have something a little on the sticky side to grip the road on accel and turns. JMO-------Ken

#12 ·
Scorcher Prices?

Michelin Scorcher sizes:

Front 100/90-19 57H
130/90B16 73H

Rear: 150/80B16 77 H
160/70B17 73 V

[/url]
I've heard rumors that these don't wear and tear for 10,000 miles...what are catalog prices?
Thnxxx

#15 ·
I have ridden about 5K miles since my last post on this tire thread. The Michellin Scorchers have handled well this riding season in varying riding conditions (including rain), and are also wearing well.

#17 ·
Michelin Scorchers by a long shot. Got 20K+ on my first set. Replaced them because I was having the wheels chromed. Could have gotten a couple thousand more. On my second set now they are holding up as well.
Never had any handling problems.

#18 ·
I got 16k on front Michelin scorcher but only got 10k out of the rear. These are a hard tire and I didn't like their performance in the rain. I switched to metzler 880 and the grip is all around better than the michelins in the wet or the dry. Big difference in the rain. I have 7k on the metzlers and they are still like new. I also saved a good amount of money by switching to the metzlers.

#22 ·
I agree the Scorchers I currently have on the bike feel like harder tires then my previous Metzlers, and definitely harder than my previous Avons. That said, if memory serves correct, my Metzlers started with alot more original tread....

#23 ·
I got 18k out of the Night Dragon rear. Great winter tire.

#27 ·
Running 200 cobra, I did not keep track of mileage but its around 12k ridding fairly hard on the rear. The thing I like is the feel is very similar to oem dunlop, great warmup but much better life. half way burned up second set and very happy. I do run these tires a little higher psi, 50 rear 55 front, but I had to do that with the dunlop to keep the front from cupping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.