Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

To v rod? Or not

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  H-D Heathen 
#1 ·
Hello dear friends
As a new member here I have a (dumb) question!
I'm riding for more then 20 years now on the road and 30+ off road
I have now the sportster 48 2011 for a year and a half
Modifeid to the bone (exhaust,air filter ,pcv,suspension,seat,drag bar and more)
I'm thinking of buying a night rod !
Every one tells me that I wont like it as the sportster
I'm a little guy 168cm
I like the power that the rod offer and the 240 wheel but? Will I get along with the weight and the fact that it is longer ?
Will it turn as the sportster??
It's going to be a weekend bike city and open road trips
Help needed and appreciated
Thanks

#2 ·
I went from a sporty to a Vrod because it has the higher rpms (my fav part about the sporty) and was ready for something "better". I also really liked the looks.

I bought mine used from a little guy. He had reduced reach seat, pegs and handle bars. I'm a big guy so I had to change it back. The seat height is low on most models.

It has the weight low. The sporty is not what I would call "balanced". Stand straddled over the bike seat and let it rock back n forth between your legs. The pressure you feel on the inside of your legs is how I judge the balance. My Vrod feels more balanced than my sporty did.

I have seen a few smaller chicks riding the Vrod so I would have to guess it is manageable for smaller people.

Last point, I love my bike and so glad I went from sporty to Vrod. It isn't a plush ride like many cruisers (stock) but it has a fun factor the other Harley models do not (sporty is old tech fun).

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the reply
People tell me " the handling is terrible "
I know that I will need to test ride before I get one
I sat on one and liked it it seems that I hugs you
If I buy one I know that I will need mid controls or something
Start digging in to have more stuff and angels
Feel free to write
Thanks

#4 ·
Check out this little lady! That's her Screaming Eagle!! And she's about your height and maybe 100#! Handles it like a pro!!

You can do it!!

Doc

Attachments

#5 ·
My 2006 has mid controls and I like em. I have front pegs to stretch. Not sure when they stopped with mids. I don't think new ones have the option.

Not sure what would be cheeper, mid control conversion on a newer bike or 5 gallon tank conversion on an older bike with mids already.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
Thanks doc
The prob is not my hight it is if I will like it and will it be for me that kind of bike
I went from ducati and that kind of bikes to the sportster
Will the rod be for me or not will I feel comfortable on it ? Can I ride it as I ride the sportster (sideways most of the time)?
That was the question
Budki say I will as you do but looks like I need to have a good ride on one to understand that or to feel if I can adjust to it or it to me
Keep on writing
Love to hear good things in favor of the rod

#7 ·
The night rod will not corner like a Sporty and is not as nimble. It is longer and has more rake to the front end. However it handles very nicely once you figure it out and I do not consider myself handicapped in the twisties - just run what you brung type thing. Any comfort issues can be modified as in all bikes.
The V-Rod will be night and day power wise, launch wise and top-end wise, although my sporty could launch with the best of them. I can not say enough about the Revo.You will probably never want to go back to an oldazzz air-cooled.
The weight is a non factor. At speed they all weigh the same and I see women running 800# dressers so you might want to back off that one. :D
Oh yea, no more worries about heat and keeping the heads cool in traffic.

#8 ·
Back in the day i flat tracked sporties, I just bought a 2012 NRS, did the stage 2 upgrades right out the box, it will be a little slower in the corners (havn't upgraded the suspension) but it will flat out kick the shit out of most of the other bikes out there and look way good doing it! P.S. still own a 93" hot rod shovel ,took off the nitrous after blowing the front cylinder again. I don't need it to be fast anymore as the NRS does a decent job of feeding my need 4 speed.:dance::dance::dance:

#11 ·
Greyman
That's why i'm going for the rod so I can out run the missiles:)
As you suggested the 2006 I think it will be difficult to do I don't think we had one
My options seems to be 2007 or 2009 night rod
Will try to fit mid controls if possible so I can feel on it !
And for the remark on the situation here in Israel that's life for us
But what you see or hear is far from the truth
Things are not like that :bash:
Wish we had some more people that like Harleys and not guns but then we would have a war zone on the street :) not that we don't have it now
Still wating for a test ride on one maybe this week if no rain

#12 ·
OEM H-D Mid-Mount peg kit for Night Rod Specials

My options seems to be 2007 or 2009 night rod
Will try to fit mid controls if possible so I can feel on it !
H-D offers a midmount kit for '07 & later DX models.

P/N 41967-07B

#17 ·
Thanks all

Thanks all
Now it seems I need to test ride one and probably buy one
I have for now two options one is 2007 bone stock with 1000 miles
The other is 2009 with 12000miles with 260 tire and some modes like air filter and exhaust (supertarpp) and drag bars
Both are night rods
What do you think of the options
What is the diff in the engines?
I understand that the 2007 is 1130 and 2009 is 1250
What engine is better?
Is there other changes/diff between them
Waiting for your answers
Thanks

#18 ·
Truthfully,there's not much difference between either engine,pick the bike you like the best & go with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.