Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1.75" Lowering Kit

40K views 92 replies 34 participants last post by  rc4man 
#1 ·
I know I have been mentioning this a few times in other threads but I thought I would start one specifically for the 1.75 Lowering Kit. I received an e mail from Rob at Tamarack Machine Works today with a photo of the new kits that will be available next week. I started this thread in the VRSCR forum only because that is where the interest for them has been. Here is his e mail,

Hey Brian, I just thought I would give you a sneak peek at my new 1.75" kit for V-Rod's.
This picture was taken before we sent them off for plating.
The black anodized kit should be back from the anodized next Tuesday. Chrome plated kit should be here next Wednesday or Thursday.
, , here is the pic he sent me, and again, I know this is not for everyone!!!!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#44 ·
thanx noreaster,..good advice,...how much is the seat? ..with the seat n shocks, sounds like yr up for well over a grand?..its tempting to buy the kit for $99...the guys at tamarack said they have sold a lot and no problems? do you want to sell your tamarack kit?..i thought it would be a good way to find out if i like the lowered position/handling etc b4 spending a lot of $$ .[.our roads down here are pretty rough also!]

#46 ·
I don't want to give you the impression that all the road here are rough, there is some of the best riding on the east coast here in New England. However, I learned that 2 of my favorite routes to/from work are too rough especially in the spring for me to ride with this kit installed.

You should know that I have my stock shocks set one notch from the max setting, that will make a bit of difference concerning bottoming out. I got the kit right after I bought the bike. After 1 season of riding I have found the stock shocks are far from adequate, and I'd be looking at buying aftermarket shocks regardless if I wanted to lower the rear of the bike.

The new seat and shocks add up to about $1300. I'll be ordering both after I get my tax return in February. My bike is put away for the winter, it won't be seeing the light of day until the end of March. After I get the shocks installed, I'll pm you to see if your still interested in the tamarack kit. Have you looked in the classifieds here or on ebay?

#45 ·
Nor'easter:
Corbin seats are made here in Hollister,California.
I've sat on a V-Rod Corbin seat....it definitely is comfortable and profiled low.But I don't know what it's like on the long run(especially rough roads).

#48 ·
i have found a pr of IKON shocks, [formally KONI] with 13.75" centers for $675,..i dont know how they compare with works performance shocks, but may try them. i need to do something now, as i find only being able to put 1 foot on the ground with such a heavy bike unstable,..ok for someone who is 6ft, not 5.7"
the corbin seat looks great also.

#49 ·
anyone with experience putting a set of progressive 412's on? i have found a set of 14.25s and wondered about any fitment issues?

#55 ·
i'm looking at the 412-4024C or the 412-4004C. info indicates they are for sportsters; but the length is correct at 14.25 for mounting. i don't see any reason they won't fit?

#57 ·
I dont know the price difference,..but would probably go with the works performance shocks that are designed for street rod or v-rod unless you are getting these shocks real cheap,.iv been looking into ohlins for my street rod about $11oo pr but meant to be the best

#66 ·
A buddy of mine is an engineer for a local motorcycle company. He ordered directly from Ohlins.

I found a set with 14.25" hole to hole. After some calls to HD and Ohlins in NC, they should work. Weight and shock angles were the big question marks. I can say this, thank god for lighter exhaust, wheels and rotors. But even stock, Ohlins said these shocks are more than Beefy enough to deal with the R.

#68 ·
I have the 1.75" tamarack and the corbin hollywood close seat. Dropped a solid 2+" from stock. I like the seat, but it did take about 1000 miles to begin to feel like it is breaking in.
In my experiance that's normal for Corbin seats.

#72 ·
Greg, I got the HD #907. Ohlins in NC added a heavier spring for the R. Said I didn't need it, but with the 3/4" of travel between the swing arm and tanks, its better to be safe than sorry. If it's too much, Ohlins said they'd replace the spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.