Broken Shifter Shaft?! - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
mrbungtou
hundred dollars

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Broken Shifter Shaft?!

Has any one had their shift shaft snap on them? If so what was told by the dealer. I only have 8000miles on the bike.
mrbungtou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
Max
Color me Gone

Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbungtou
Has any one had their shift shaft snap on them? If so what was told by the dealer. I only have 8000miles on the bike.
We have seen several snap off. Many of them have been either layed over or been in an accident prior to the shaft snapping. Changing the shaft really isn't a big deal though. It has been reported that the arms can come out of place when you remove the broken shaft but I have done one on an engine I am building a dozen times and could line it back up every time so far. Should be less then a 30 minute job from start to finish including the seal replacement.

The road of life sometimes seems full of potholes. RIP Jeannie, Alex and Brian. I'll never forget any of you.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
mrbungtou
hundred dollars

is it something that a dealer should do? or could someone with decent mechanical skills handle the project?

Old 06-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Max
Color me Gone

Quote:
is it something that a dealer should do? or could someone with decent mechanical skills handle the project?
If you have any mechanical skills at all it is pretty straight forward. The trick is to have the new shaft ready to install right away when you pull the old one out. Order your shaft and new seal and have them both in hand when you start.

The road of life sometimes seems full of potholes. RIP Jeannie, Alex and Brian. I'll never forget any of you.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
mrbungtou
hundred dollars

sounds good, is there a special press needed to install the seal?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
Max
Color me Gone

Quote:
sounds good, is there a special press needed to install the seal?
I used a deep socket the size of the seal to tap mine in. If you have a service manual it has good pictures showing how to remove the old seal and whats involved.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
mrbungtou
hundred dollars

Thanks for the advice!! I took a look at the service manual and it looked fairly easy. Sorry one last question...do you have an idea on price? I'm stuck at work and can't call a dealer...thanks again
Old 06-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #8
Max
Color me Gone

I just bought some a couple of months ago but can't remember what I paid because I got them with a bunch of other parts. Maybe Vinny can chime in here since he just purchased one a couple of weeks ago.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
mrbungtou
hundred dollars

I have an update on the broken shifter shaft. My dealer told me it would cost about $800.00 in labor, and $175.00 in parts, which is funny because I priced out the necessary parts and it only costs about $90.00. Of course my extended warranty ended almost exactly a month ago, so I am still waiting to hear a final figure. Either way it should be interesting...could this have been a manufacturer defect? The bike was never laid over or in an accident, and has been driven well.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
o2man98
The 1402 Originator

Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
I have an update on the broken shifter shaft. My dealer told me it would cost about $800.00 in labor, and $175.00 in parts, which is funny because I priced out the necessary parts and it only costs about $90.00. Of course my extended warranty ended almost exactly a month ago, so I am still waiting to hear a final figure. Either way it should be interesting...could this have been a manufacturer defect? The bike was never laid over or in an accident, and has been driven well.
Hey, I never realized you were in my backyard. A Local Welcome to you!!!

My guess is the parts quote includes things like oil and oil filter along with other gaskets, crank bearings and everything else required when you split an engine. Are you 'trying' to deal with Stock's?

If you are looking at having them split it open I would suggest trying to do it yourself. You are looking at $800 you could save.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-E-mail me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call me at 920-860-0116 for ordering. Best times will be after 5pm weekdays or anytime weekends.
Contact me directly for forum member pricing as Authorized Dealers are not allowed to advertise discounted rates publicly.
Get DEALER COST immediately on your first order by following these instructions.
o2man98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
Max
Color me Gone

Quote:
You really should hook up with some members in your area. I have changed one shaft out testing to see how easy it was and done it over a dozen times now. It takes me about2 minutes with the motor out of the bike and I'll bet with the motor in from start to finish is less then a ten minute job. There is always an outside chance the shifter will drop but I have tried to drop the one in my case while it was apart and couldn't get it far enough out to ever cause any real issue when lining it up.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
Vinny
spit happens

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
It is a very easy install like Max said,and is done exactly the way the manual says.Get your bike and do it yourself.10 mins to do it.Only a couple drops of oil drain out so have a rag ready to wipe it up.

Sorry,I didn't see this thread earlier.

IT'S FOR SALE
And it eats turbos for breakfast
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:42 PM   #13
o2man98
The 1402 Originator

Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
You really should hook up with some members in your area. I have changed one shaft out testing to see how easy it was and done it over a dozen times now. It takes me about2 minutes with the motor out of the bike and I'll bet with the motor in from start to finish is less then a ten minute job. There is always an outside chance the shifter will drop but I have tried to drop the one in my case while it was apart and couldn't get it far enough out to ever cause any real issue when lining it up.
Max, what gear do you recommend the trans being in for this process?

mrbungtou, If you need a supervisor let me know.

-E-mail me at

Call me at 920-860-0116 for ordering. Best times will be after 5pm weekdays or anytime weekends.
Contact me directly for forum member pricing as Authorized Dealers are not allowed to advertise discounted rates publicly.
Get DEALER COST immediately on your first order by following these instructions.
o2man98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:01 PM   #14
Max
Color me Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2man98
Max, what gear do you recommend the trans being in for this process?

mrbungtou, If you need a supervisor let me know.
Ken I have done it in several gears to see if there was any difference. I really could tell no difference no matter what gear the trans was in. I guess nuetral would be the best so the shift spool would make sure and be off a high lobe on it. In gear it might still be on a tooth or I guess thats possible.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:21 AM   #15
Night Rodder
Don't think, ride.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Max..what are the symptoms of a broken shifter shaft, can you see if it is broken from the outside? I am just curious because when I had my "tip" on the left side the shifer took a pretty big scrape and I have noticed a drag on the pedal when I downshift from 2nd to 1st ever since. I am about to do my 10K service and if the shaft is broken I will go ahead and replace it then. Thanks!
Kristi
Night Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement