Left for dead - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCA , VRSCAW
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 04-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
LoneStar_Coyote
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Left for dead

Hello. I'm new to the forum and to Harley Davidson. A friend of mine gave me his 2003 VRSCA V-Rod. The bike was sitting out in the elements for over a year. After washing away some of the dirt and debris, I've cleaned the air filter and replaced the battery. To my surprise, she fired up on the first try on that old gas! The bike is rough and has 57,000 miles on it. Planning to change the oil and filter next. Suggestions on what type to use for high mileage? Also, suggestions on checking and filling the cooling system?
LoneStar_Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Feedback Score: 22 reviews
These bikes are bombproof and will pretty much run forever with minimal care. 57K is just breaking it in! For oil, Amsoil 20W-50 has a pretty good following here. I've used in in an A, an R and an F with great results. The other option is the H-D synthetic. The Amsoil oil filter is P/N EaOM136C. It only comes in chrome, but don't worry about it-- you can't see it when its installed.

There's a trick to changing the oil. If you block the bike so it sits straight up and down (a wheel chock works well), you can see two bolts holding the radiator assembly to the cross-frame if you look closely (very bottom/forward part of the bike). Unbolt them. The entire radiator assembly will pivot forward a few inches. Those two inches are HUGE when trying to access the oil filter. Don't bother removing the shrouds-- they'll rotate as well.

You can use other coolants, but it's tricky. There are some old threads on it here about it by guys who've done the research on which coolants have the proper additives. The easy solution is just to get the H-D coolant. It's overpriced, but it works fine.

You'll probably want to flush & replace the brake and clutch fluid (the rear brake fluid reservoir is under the right radiator shroud on your bike I believe). It's something that should be done every year or two since it's hydroscopic. Clutch fluid especially gets gunky. A power/speed bleeder is all you need. I don't remember the type fluid of your bike off the top of my head, but just look on the reservoir covers-- it's listed there.

I might also recommend running the better part of a can of SeaFoam through the bike-- it's more or less a wonder fix for a lot of fuel issues. Any car parts store will have it.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

And that's a GREAT friend you have-- giving you a "classic" A!

R.
USAF: 1989-1997. Desert Shield (Saudi Arabia), Desert Storm (Kuwait, Iraq), Provide Comfort (Kurdistan), Restore Hope (Somalia), Uphold Democracy (Hati), Joint Endeavor (Bosnia), Support Hope (Rwanda). USAFR: 1997-2014. Iraqi Freedom (Iraq), Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan). Retired, Oct. 2014.
flybigjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
LoneStar_Coyote
Registered Full

Awesome information! Thank you so much! Yes, a great friend indeed!
LoneStar_Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2017, 10:08 PM   #4
Russ
Registered Useless

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think I got you beat. Last year I picked up a $1000 '04B that was parked by the side of the road for 2 years, exposed to salt and buried in a snow bank, and pelted with whatever kids hurled at it. It too fired right up with a new battery and sounded fine, but the bike itself is a mess. Besides paint scratches, every bit of exposed aluminum was corroded and pitted. The rear axle was seized leaving no choice but cut it.

Once this restoration project is finished, I plan to sell my RG.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Welcome.
1 There`s metric threads, you got metric tools?
2 A genuine Harley work shop manual, a must.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
turboven
Registered Full

Garage
These are GREAT bikes!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #7
Luigit
Sleep is over-rated

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Send me your address. i have the parts catalog, electrical diagnostic manual, and owners manual from my old 03 you can have free of charge. i no longer have that bike (bought a 2015 muscle).
Old 04-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
Mc Vrod
Registered Full

Dot 5 for brake& clutch fluid & yes it gets gunky so check regularly

Sent from my SM-J105Y using Tapatalk
Mc Vrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement